UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 27 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Safe-Guard Wormer ??? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=343740)

Posted by LUKE SOLMES on 03-24-2010 04:37 AM:

Safe-Guard Wormer ???

Does anybody use "Safe-Guard Horse & Cattle Dewormer" on there adult hounds?

It is in a 500ml bottle & the label reads "Suspension 10%(fenbendazole 100mg/ml)"

If anyone uses this, what is the proper dosage & what worms will it cover? Thanks for any input.

Posted by Melanie H. on 03-24-2010 04:51 AM:

I have the breakdown for the Safeguard GOAT wormer...

Not sure if this will help you, but here it is

Here is the breakdown for converting the amount from the goat dose to dog dose of the Safeguard liquid wormer.

The dog dose for Fenbendazole is 50mg/kg or 23mg/# given orally for 3 consecutive days.

You have a 10% solution which is 100mg/ml. So the dose for a dog would be .23 ml per pound or 2.3 ml per 10#. A 50# dog would get 12 ml. The dosage for dogs is usually much higher than other species for fenbendazole. In this case, the dog dose is 10X higher than the goat dose (5mg/kg) so a 100# dog would get 23 ml of Fenbendazole (Safeguard) 3 days in a row.

You've only got 3 choices in life, give in, give up, or give it all you got.

Posted by Sam Davis on 03-24-2010 04:54 AM:

Here is a link that discusses what this gentleman does with his beagles. I just ordered a bottle and intend to try it.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/bea...stinalworms.htm

Posted by coonsmen on 03-24-2010 04:59 AM:

thanks sam

Posted by LUKE SOLMES on 03-24-2010 02:09 PM:

Thanks very much for all info

Posted by rosebud81592 on 03-24-2010 02:17 PM:

http://tinyurl.com/ylcnha7
PBS sells Canine Safeguard Wormer. Same as for farm animals, but in correct canine doses. It is most likely more expensive than the 10% large animal solution, but if you want exact doses it is available.
Linda Rusinko
Wooster, Ohio

12 X Alt BIMBS, 4 x Alt RBIMBS, 9 X HSIT, URX, UROC, UCD, UCH D'Lano's Guns N'Roses, CGC, TDI, TT, WAC, RE, BN, UDC VC, AKC CD, APDT RL3, AOE-L1, L2 & L-3, ASCA ODX, CW-SR', ODC BROM (aka Raney)

Warlord's Khaos v Whitedheim, WAC, CGC' (UKC pointed) (2-27-2007 to 1-5-2013)

Daker Drago, CGC

Posted by chadf on 03-24-2010 03:01 PM:

http://www.peteducation.com/article...622&aid=778

This link goes over the different types of internal parasites and the drugs that will kill them. You will have to do another search for proper dosage.

Posted by DustinS on 03-24-2010 03:25 PM:

Luke, for the bottle you have it's 1ml to 5lbs. I go three days. Best dewormer I have ever used

Posted by coonsmen on 03-24-2010 04:10 PM:

and i take it that it will kill all worms like the safe guard you buy form the pet store. if so im sold. i have two 80 pound dogs and a couple 60 pounders and that stuff isnt cheap when you are givving it every month!!!

Posted by DustinS on 03-24-2010 05:38 PM:

Yep all except heart worms I believe. I've used the panacur too it's made by the same company but intended for horses, I did'nt have the results I did with the safegaurd.

Posted by chadf on 03-24-2010 07:11 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by coonsmen
and i take it that it will kill all worms like the safe guard you buy form the pet store. if so im sold. i have two 80 pound dogs and a couple 60 pounders and that stuff isnt cheap when you are givving it every month!!!

Check out the link I posted above. It kills a lot but not all intestinal parasites.

Posted by Buckshot on 03-24-2010 08:09 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by DustinS
Yep all except heart worms I believe. I've used the panacur too it's made by the same company but intended for horses, I did'nt have the results I did with the safegaurd.

LOL, if you compare labels -- they are EXACTLY the same -- only difference is where SafeGuard says SafeGuard in all the labeling Panacur says Panacur in all the labeling.....EVERYTHING else is the same........then the cost difference in the two.

PANACUR - 10%(fenbendazole 100mg/ml)
http://intervetus.naccvp.com/view.php?prodnum=1106109

SAFE-GUARD - 10%(fenbendazole 100mg/ml)
http://intervetus.naccvp.com/view.php?prodnum=1106279

Posted by DustinS on 03-25-2010 05:45 PM:

I used the panacur paste, but have the safegaurd liquid. The liquid just seemed to work better.

Posted by Buckshot on 03-25-2010 05:53 PM:

It's how you use the paste is the key. You have to make sure you give correct dose of paste. Doesn't matter if Panacur or SafeGuard on the paste, have to dose at the right amount.

I turn the paste to liquid format to ensure I am dosing correctly.

I buy a regular size tube of SafeGuard and put it into a puppy feeding bottle and fill up with water to 100ML.

I shake it up real well and treat 1cc per 10lbs body weight for 3 days in a row.

Been doing this for a couple years with no worm problems.

Panacur is almost twice as much Safeguard at TC here -- yet the same exact thing.

Posted by coonsmen on 03-25-2010 06:36 PM:

really? panacure is 5 dollars cheaper here than safeguard

Posted by DustinS on 03-25-2010 06:39 PM:

Liquify the paste. Thats a good idea, I know the bottle of liquid safegaurd I got is expensive and I only know of one place that sells it, and it's not real close.

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 03-25-2010 07:24 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ladycathunter
I have the breakdown for the Safeguard GOAT wormer...

Not sure if this will help you, but here it is

Here is the breakdown for converting the amount from the goat dose to dog dose of the Safeguard liquid wormer.

The dog dose for Fenbendazole is 50mg/kg or 23mg/# given orally for 3 consecutive days.

You have a 10% solution which is 100mg/ml. So the dose for a dog would be .23 ml per pound or 2.3 ml per 10#. A 50# dog would get 12 ml. The dosage for dogs is usually much higher than other species for fenbendazole. In this case, the dog dose is 10X higher than the goat dose (5mg/kg) so a 100# dog would get 23 ml of Fenbendazole (Safeguard) 3 days in a row.

This is the correct dosage if you want to give them the same amount of Fenbendazole as found in the canine version.

I"m not sure where you guys are buying the safeguard, but in my families animal health store, I spent one Saturday morning figuring out the cheapest method of administering Safeguard. I calculated about 5 diferent forms of it from Cattle paste, horse paste, canine granuals and liquid goat. Liquid goat was the cheapest for the porper dosage.
100ml bottle for $15 or 1000ml bottle for just over $100

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Posted by LUKE SOLMES on 03-25-2010 09:05 PM:

Thanks very much for all the response. This info has been very helpful. Anyone useing this particular wormer i have chosen should check out the link that Sam Davis posted above. It tells everything u need to know.

Posted by deepsouthkennels86 on 03-25-2010 09:16 PM:

i use the horse type and just give them one or one and half tuns the vet told me i could use up to three notches and it would be fine

Posted by Geminite on 03-25-2010 09:19 PM:

Anyone use the Goat Wormer for a CAT? We have a big ol' orange Tomcat, he needs a good worming and I just wormed the dogs with Safeguard Goat last week. Thanks for any info.

Home of:
CH Crystal Springs Dear Darla
Crystal Creeks Dizzy Spell

Proud Handler of:
GRNITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Big John
NITECH PR Lifeways Fire Cracker

In Fond Memory of:
NITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Hightech Redneck
GRNITECH GRCH PR Morgan's Losses Hills Dawn
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb
NITECH CH PR Gimme Three Steps Mister

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 03-20-2011 06:21 PM:

Yes to all !! The Safe Guard Goat Wormer can be Used on all ..

were down to 2 weeks untill Pups are due and just finish a round on Her and will do it once more before She drops ..

Pups get Round worms from the Bitches Milk . You can't clean them out enough !!

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 05-13-2011 02:17 PM:

I just found this on Liquid Panacur Dosage's (Which is the Same as The 10% SafeGuard Goat/Cattle Wormer)

The Actual Dosage is 4.4 cc per 10#s in a Single Dose ..

Dosage and administration Routine treatment of adult dogs and cats 1 ml Panacur
10% Liquid per 1 kg bodyweight as a single oral dose (= 100 mg fenbendazole/kg
bodyweight). Practical dosage recommendations: 2 to 4 kg 4 ml 4 to 8 kg 8 ml 8 to
16 kg 16 ml 16 to 24 kg 24 ml 24 to 32 kg 32 ml 32 to 64 kg 64 ml For dogs
weighing over 64 kg, an extra 10 ml are required for each additional 10 kg
bodyweight. The dose should be mixed into feed, or administered by mouth directly
after feeding. Treatment should be repeated when natural reinfection with parasitic
worms occurs. Routine treatment of adult animals with minimal exposure to
infection is advisable 2 to 4 times per year. More frequent treatment at 6 to 8
weekly intervals is advisable for dogs in kennels. Puppies and kittens under 6
months of age 0.5 ml Panacur 10% Liquid per kg bodyweight daily for 3
consecutive days given by mouth directly after feeding to unweaned animals or
mixed with food for weaned animals (= 50 mg fenbendazole/kg bodyweight daily
for 3 days). Practical dosage recommendations: Up to 1 kg 0.5 ml daily for 3 days 1
to 2 kg 1 ml daily for 3 days 2 to 4 kg 2 ml daily for 3 days 4 to 6 kg 3 ml daily for
3 days 6 to 8 kg 4 ml daily for 3 days 8 to 10 kg 5 ml daily for 3 days For puppies
weighing over 10 kg, an extra 0.5 ml is required daily for each additional kg
bodyweight. Puppies should be treated at 2 weeks of age, 5 weeks of age and again
before leaving the breeder's premises. Treatment may also be required at 8 and 12
weeks of age. Thereafter, frequency of treatment can be reduced unless the pups
remain in kennels where reinfection occurs more readily. Pregnant bitches 1 ml
Panacur 10% Liquid per 4 kg bodyweight daily from day 40 of pregnancy
continuously to 2 days post-whelping (approximately 25 days) (= 25 mg
fenbendazole/kg bodyweight daily). Practical dosage recommendations: 4 kg 1 ml
daily for approx. 25 days 8 kg 2 ml daily for approx. 25 days 12 kg 3 ml daily for
approx. 25 days 20 kg 5 ml daily for approx. 25 days 40 kg 10 ml daily for approx.
25 days For bitches weighing over 40 kg, an extra 1 ml is required daily for each
additional 4 kg bodyweight. As treatment of pregnant bitches is 98% effective,
puppies from these bitches should themselves be treated with a three day course at
2 and 5 weeks of age. Pregnant queens Pregnant queens can be safely treated with
Panacur but only require a single treatment at the routine adult dose rate.
Administer 1 ml Panacur 10% Liquid per 1 kg bodyweight as a single dose (=100
mg fenbendazole/kg bodyweight). Increased dosing for specific infections For the
treatment of clinical worm infestations in adult dogs and cats or Giardia spp.
infections in dogs administer 1 ml Panacur 10% Liquid per 2 kg bodyweight daily
for 3 consecutive days (= 50 mg fenbendazole/kg bodyweight daily for 3 days). For
the control of lungworm Oslerus (Filaroides) osleri in dogs administer 1 ml Panacur
10% Liquid per 2 kg bodyweight for 7 consecutive days (= 50 mg fenbendazole/kg
bodyweight daily for 7 days). A repeat course of treatment may be required in
some cases. For the control of lungworm Aelurostrongylus abstrusus in cats
administer 1 ml Panacur 10% Liquid per 2 kg bodyweight for 3 consecutive days (=
50 mg fenbendazole/kg bodyweight daily for 3 days).

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Posted by kyallan85 on 05-14-2011 06:58 PM:

so its alright to worm pregnant females with safe guard horse wormer i use the paste and take another syringe to measure 1 cc per 10 lbs seems to work fine just didnt know about useing it on pregnant females

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 05-16-2011 01:07 AM:

No it will only kill one type of Tape .. And not the Most common "Flea Tape worm"

You will need Drontal or the Aus. Canine Allwormer to Kill Flea Tapes

Here is a Link to a List of what Med.s kills What Worms .. Good Site

http://www.peteducation.com/article...254&aid=762

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Posted by croatankid on 05-16-2011 02:30 AM:

you must have three chemicals to treat all worms.
heartworms(as a preventative only), use ivermectin
hook, round, whip, use fenbendazole which is in the safe-guard goat wormer
tapes(all types) use proziquantel which is in equimax.

the dosages are as noted in other posts. i didn't realize worming was so complicated. i understood that all i needed to do was give ivermectin once a month to prevent heartworms and safe-guard goat wormer for tapes. but safe-guard controls only one of three types of tapes.

so, i think you can get by giving equimax one month to control heartworms and tapes. the next month give ivermectin and safe-guard to control heartworms and tapes and all other months just give ivermectin. am i right or what?