UKC Forums
Show all 25 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Pea Gravel Kennel Flooring. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=282631)

Posted by DSKennels on 06-18-2009 12:39 AM:

Pea Gravel Kennel Flooring.

I recently moved from S.C. to Arkansas; and am loving it by the way. Anyway, I'm building new kennels and I think I am going to go with pea gravel for the flooring. Those of you who have it, what is the average price going? Thanks, -Billy Smith

Posted by Greg Kemp on 06-18-2009 01:51 AM:

Hey DSKennels, I recently put pea gravel in my kennels! I gave 9 dollars and 40 cents per ton, but I hauled them on my truck and my wife had me end up putting in a couple of sidewalks to. So, I hauled in 8 ton here at my house! Equaled out to about 80 bucks. Boy, am I ever glad though for her to go back to work! She liked to worked me to death while she took some time off! LOL! One thing that did help me though was I only live 5 miles from a rock quarry. I went with pea gravel because it seems to be pretty easy to clean (of course concrete is easier to clean), but one reason I went with pea gravel is that in the winter concrete stays really cold and I did not want that. So, with all that being said Good Luck and I live in Virginia.

Home Of:
Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (6th place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan SETWD 2007, Qualified for 2008 UKC World Hunt). 2009 UKC PERFORMANCE SIRE.
Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler JR.

Posted by DSKennels on 06-18-2009 03:09 AM:

Thanks...I am going with pea gravel for the same reason, and concrete can just be a hassle...roots, future... you never know. I figured I figure a horse manure rake should work good in the pea gravel as far as cleanup goes so I'm not worried about that. How much area did that cover? Anyone else get it and have it hauled?

Posted by Chad R. on 06-18-2009 04:47 AM:

Have kennels here at my house that have pea gravel flooring and love it. Kennels at my dads place are concrete. The concrete is nice and very easy to clean, but it is very hard on dogs. The keep skinned up places on them all the time and it is very hard on their bones and joints. He says if he had it to do over again, he would go with gravel. A small lawn rake will work very well on cleanup. Dogs seem to do very well with the gravel. No problems here. Best of luck to ya'.

Posted by Cynthia on 06-18-2009 03:02 PM:

what if they have a bought of diarrhea or a soft stool? how does that clean up with a rake?

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Posted by Casey_Lee on 06-18-2009 03:52 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
what if they have a bought of diarrhea or a soft stool? how does that clean up with a rake?

LMAO!!!!

Posted by micooner on 06-18-2009 08:44 PM:

I have used pea gravel, 23A gravel, concrete, dirt, grass, six years ago I put them on 2x4 treated lumber frames topped off with 3/4 treated plywood sealed with sealer. A little cheaper than concrete and easy to do, has never rotted and still going strong. We reseal them every other year,

Posted by Cynthia on 06-18-2009 09:42 PM:

Casey,
that is a real issue sometimes. on dirt, shovel it up. on concrete, spray it off. on gravel - ??????

i would really like to know how you clean it up.

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Posted by Casey_Lee on 06-18-2009 09:46 PM:

quote:
Casey,
that is a real issue sometimes. on dirt, shovel it up. on concrete, spray it off. on gravel - ??????

I'm sorry I just thought it was funny....and I would imagine it would be just like dirt, shovel it up and throw it out.

Posted by ml2543 on 06-18-2009 10:28 PM:

Pea gravel and RAIN? if you put pea gravel down and it rains, wont the dogs work the gravel into the mud?

Posted by Plottluvr on 06-18-2009 10:35 PM:

quote:
Casey,

I had pea gravel for kennels and if a dog got the runs I just used the hose with a nozzle on it and washed it away.

Posted by Plottluvr on 06-18-2009 10:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ml2543
Pea gravel and RAIN? if you put pea gravel down and it rains, wont the dogs work the gravel into the mud?

If you put the weed barrier (black plastic looking stuff) down first then you don't have a problem with mud.

I used half pea gravel and half flag stones. The area by the dog house was flag stones and the rest of the kennel was pea gravel. Dogs would only go on the pea gravel.

The stuff is great.

Posted by Dogwood English on 06-19-2009 01:35 AM:

i use pea gravel and if they got loose stool which is seldom take a shovet and rake it onto shovel.

Posted by Jeff M. on 06-19-2009 01:41 AM:

I've had a pea gravel kennel for 14 years now, You have to get a plastic tined bedding fork, like a pitch fork with more tines and about 1/2 inch gap between them.( Got mine at tractor supply) Works like a dream just scoop under the poop pea gravel sifts right through dropping stay on the forks. Loose stools just wait until next day scoop and remove... As for the rain it washes the pea gravel to a nice clean whiteish color. Every few years lay a new top coat layer and i've never had a problem. I've even got a digger now and she'll dig it up and it will be a little dirty, just rake the hole back in with my foot stomp it down and the next rain all of the dirt washes down and you can't tell it was ever there.

Posted by Cynthia on 06-19-2009 02:12 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff M.
I've had a pea gravel kennel for 14 years now, You have to get a plastic tined bedding fork, like a pitch fork with more tines and about 1/2 inch gap between them.( Got mine at tractor supply) Works like a dream just scoop under the poop pea gravel sifts right through dropping stay on the forks. Loose stools just wait until next day scoop and remove... As for the rain it washes the pea gravel to a nice clean whiteish color. Every few years lay a new top coat layer and i've never had a problem. I've even got a digger now and she'll dig it up and it will be a little dirty, just rake the hole back in with my foot stomp it down and the next rain all of the dirt washes down and you can't tell it was ever there.

do you use the weed barrier as suggested above?

RIP Bella the Beagle

Posted by TREMOR on 06-19-2009 02:33 PM:

pea gravel

I used pea gravel for about 10 years, here is what i saw to be the problem with it. For about the 1st five years i did not have a roof over the kennels things were good easy clean up untill winter hit, then it was awful to deal with. So then i put a roof over the kennel fixed the problem in the winter but created another one without gods rain it was very dirty and dusty and even with using a hose i could not keep it clean enough. jmo

Dustin Patrick
Tyler Patrick

Posted by s/s on 06-25-2009 06:32 AM:

We just redone all of our kennels with #10 crushed limestone. It's real small like kitty litter. So far so good. Our kennels have never been so easy to keep clean. It looks nice all of the time. We use a barn/stall, rake/fork, what ever you want to call the thing. But, it get the waist and the kitty litter stays in the kennel.
After it rained on it a couple of times, it settled and got real hard on the bottom, but the rain and water can still run straight through it. After it rains it looks like brand new gravel again.

As far as diggers go. We had several of those. They kept a nasty kennel all of the time. Seems like the more it rained the more they would dig and they just made lakes in the kennels.
Sam had a co-worker that had stock piles of 50ft long X 6 ft tall chain link fence that he gave us. We took all of the kennels down, layed that chain link out the length that we needed and set the kennels back up on top of the chain link. Then we put the kitty litter gravel in the kennels about 4 inches thick. We have had enough rain that is cleaned up all of the dust from the new gravel.

WE ARE LOVING THIS STUFF !! The clean up is so easy !! Raze had a bit of loose stool this morning for some reason. I just got a shovel and small garden rake and raked it right up.

Oh, yeah, the hounds love this stuff too. It seems to stay cool. They have been laying outside of the boxes lots more than they usually do. At first thier coats were a little dusty gray looking. But now that it has settled, that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Sabrina

Posted by creekwood on 01-10-2015 04:20 PM:

brown pit gravel

has anyone tried to use brown pit gravel in the kennels? We have pea gravel now but it is getting very expensive. Any suggestions?

Posted by msinc on 01-10-2015 07:19 PM:

quote:
Casey,

Very good question. You end up throwing a lot of the pea gravel away with the stuff, bottom line. Before too long you need more pea gravel or in my case you bite the bullet and pour concrete and get it over with. I had pea gravel in my kennels 20 years ago and it had some disadvantages...
First, it took a while but it eventually got sort of saturated with urine and started a septic type action just under the gravel that produced a whole different kind of reek, not pleasant or easy to get rid of.
Second, if you have kennel pacing, nervous type, barking mad idiots they walk the stool down into the gravel and it is hard to clean or get to stop stinking. I have seen this so bad it looks like the entire run was paved nice and smooth with dog brown, yeah they do it that quick!!!!
Third, if you have a dog that digs they will pretty much make a big mess out of their entire run area real quick.
Fourth, since it is so easy to dig in, if you don't have diggers before it wont be long before one of them starts and the rest follow on.
If all of the above still don't convince you to stop and rethink the pea gravel kennel floor....well, I guess have at it. Cheap and effective are very often two far different things.

Posted by CSnowgren on 01-10-2015 08:23 PM:

Pea gravel is all I use. For the loose stool.....break it down with a hose stream. I also use barn lime once or twice a year to keep the odors away. I try and keep the pea gravel 4-5 inches deep at minimum squared off with large timber 4"x6" 6"x6" etc. Easiest clean up I have ever experienced and it stays dry even when the ground around it is saturated.

Posted by Triple K Kennel on 01-10-2015 08:45 PM:

Agree.....

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Very good question. You end up throwing a lot of the pea gravel away with the stuff, bottom line. Before too long you need more pea gravel or in my case you bite the bullet and pour concrete and get it over with. I had pea gravel in my kennels 20 years ago and it had some disadvantages...
First, it took a while but it eventually got sort of saturated with urine and started a septic type action just under the gravel that produced a whole different kind of reek, not pleasant or easy to get rid of.
Second, if you have kennel pacing, nervous type, barking mad idiots they walk the stool down into the gravel and it is hard to clean or get to stop stinking. I have seen this so bad it looks like the entire run was paved nice and smooth with dog brown, yeah they do it that quick!!!!
Third, if you have a dog that digs they will pretty much make a big mess out of their entire run area real quick.
Fourth, since it is so easy to dig in, if you don't have diggers before it wont be long before one of them starts and the rest follow on.
If all of the above still don't convince you to stop and rethink the pea gravel kennel floor....well, I guess have at it. Cheap and effective are very often two far different things.

I totally agree, had this type of kennel floor before, it gets nasty, attracts bugs and flies like crazy. Don't waste your time or money, get concrete....!!!

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Posted by BawlinBlues on 01-11-2015 04:21 AM:

I've had concrete for yrs never had problems.got a 13 yr old hound on them now.no sores or problems.easy to clean,I use bleach and water to clean and keep smell down.

Coty Strannahan

Posted by aspencer on 01-11-2015 06:19 AM:

Pea Gravel

I have had about every kind of floor you can imagine. Use any kind of rock , gravel, or concrete and then put down rubber horse mats get them from tractor supply around 40.00 each. Easy to clean don't leave pressure sores dogs can grip them even after you have sprayed them off. Heavy enough they don't move and they don't tear up.

Posted by mark booth on 01-11-2015 02:33 PM:

For the dogs sake I use pea gravel only.

Posted by turman on 01-11-2015 02:55 PM:

I use gravel and have never had a problem with keeping it clean or smell. I framed the base for the kennels with 8x8 railway ties with 6x6 steel mesh in the bottom, filled it up with gravel. I`ve never had a problem with the high strung type dog on this floor but I`ve seen a couple on concrete almost run their pads off. Once a year I take a shovel and dig the whole base up, takes an hour and helps the rain penetrate the gravel.