UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Bark collar opinion (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928518548)

Posted by Rick St.Clair on 05-16-2019 03:01 AM:

Bark collar opinion

What's the best bark collar on the market, too keep a dog quite in the kennel?

Posted by Sgraves on 05-16-2019 03:47 AM:

Me Rick , garmin has a good one. Glad you brought this topic up. Had a young dog that would kennel bark an I put one on him an it worked . But , when it was time to go hunting he got to where he wouldn’t open his mouth when I put a track collar on him. Probably should have let him wear a dummy collar for a while. What am bout to say some of you might not agree. I took a BB gun an started bouncing bb’s off the top of kennel an now I have no problem. Didn’t make him gun shy an he doesn’t bark anymore. I just don’t like the bark collar.

Posted by Nick B on 05-16-2019 02:39 PM:

The garmin one works well on my pup

she instantly goes silent when I put it on her. I wish the battery lasted longer. Doesn’t seem to last more than a day, and it rarely has to shock my dog, so I would think it should hold up better than that since it basically doesn’t do anything. It’s light blinks when you turn it off to show how many times it had to shock the dog during the last use, so I know it rarely shocks. Also, occasionally she acts like she gets shocked while eating when she has it on, but not always. That could be operator error on my end.

Posted by Sara L Steele on 05-16-2019 03:44 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Me Rick , garmin has a good one. Glad you brought this topic up. Had a young dog that would kennel bark an I put one on him an it worked . But , when it was time to go hunting he got to where he wouldn’t open his mouth when I put a track collar on him. Probably should have let him wear a dummy collar for a while. What am bout to say some of you might not agree. I took a BB gun an started bouncing bb’s off the top of kennel an now I have no problem. Didn’t make him gun shy an he doesn’t bark anymore. I just don’t like the bark collar.

the BB gun works LOL. used that years ago. never actually hit not one dog with it. but after a certain point with 15 plus hounds .. I could just shake the bb gun and they would all hush LOL

Steele's Loud N Proud Chevy

Diesel ( pending reg)

Posted by 2nd Mac on 05-16-2019 05:10 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Sara L Steele
the BB gun works LOL. used that years ago. never actually hit not one dog with it. but after a certain point with 15 plus hounds .. I could just shake the bb gun and they would all hush LOL
Had a friend that had a one eyed dog because of a BB gun.

Posted by Reuben on 05-16-2019 06:02 PM:

I have several different bark collars that have lasted over a year with constant use...they last about a week or two on a 2 hour charge...the drawback is false correction now and then...

This one could be best in market...

2 hour charge and lasts 3 to 4 weeks between charges with the least amount of false corrections...
Sportdog SBCR NO BARK...$99.00

Posted by JR4661 on 05-16-2019 06:17 PM:

Dogtra YS600

I have multiple Garmin Bark Limiter Deluxe collars and as far as I am concerned they are junk compared to the Dogtra. The Dogtra battery lasts longer and I have yet to have any false corrections with them. After a few weeks I had to stop using 3 of the 6 Garmins because they would correct for nothing. Even shocked me one day taking it back to the kennels.

I have had 3 of the YS600 collars for 2-3 months now with no issues and only charged them twice. Probably will never buy another Garmin Bark Limiter again.

Posted by DwayneWhite on 05-16-2019 07:26 PM:

SportDog SBC-R

Posted by Blaze P. on 05-16-2019 07:30 PM:

I had luck with sport dog. Have not used garmin or dogtra so cannot comment on them.

Posted by Sgraves on 05-16-2019 10:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Sara L Steele
I can open my front door an dogs will run in box. BB gun works.

Posted by shadinc on 05-16-2019 11:11 PM:

Put a dishwasher or washing machine solenoid valve on your dog pen. Connect it to a water supply and run an extension cord through your window. When a dog barks, plug it in. No aiming, no blind dogs, you don't even have to open the door or look. It's a little bit of work, but it's the best thing I ever used. After a few days, you can't even wet a dog. When the solenoid clicks they're in the dog house.

Posted by Huntnharris on 05-17-2019 12:08 AM:

Dogtra YS600

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 05-17-2019 12:09 AM:

I learned long ago when you have 2 young dogs in same pen dont put bark collar on 1 of them. The other will have it chewed off in about 2 days.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Reuben on 05-17-2019 02:07 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
I learned long ago when you have 2 young dogs in same pen dont put bark collar on 1 of them. The other will have it chewed off in about 2 days.

Same thing happens with ordinary collars...I use 1/4 inch stainless chain and cut it with an extra 3 links...I then use a quick link and use this combination as puppy collars...as the puppies grow I can reset the chain collar to the next link...once I know which will be keepers I buy them a regular collar each...

Makes life a little easier...

Posted by Reuben on 05-17-2019 02:07 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix

Same thing happens with ordinary collars...I use 1/4 inch stainless chain and cut it with an extra 3 links...I then use a quick link and use this combination as puppy collars...as the puppies grow I can reset the chain collar to the next link...once I know which will be keepers I buy them a regular collar each...

Makes life a little easier...

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 05-17-2019 02:10 AM:

Never had it happen with regular collars but most time just have 1 pup and it runs loose until ready to start then goes on chain.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Driftwoodblue on 05-17-2019 01:20 PM:

Dogtra

I have bought about every kind of bark collar on the market until I got a Dogtra the Tri tronics was the best but only about a year use-- I have 3 Dogtra's and will say they are the top of the heap.
I still have a couple of Dogtra ys-500 they work just like new.

Posted by Driftwoodblue on 05-17-2019 01:20 PM:

Dogtra

I have bought about every kind of bark collar on the market until I got a Dogtra the Tri tronics was the best but only about a year use-- I have 3 Dogtra's and will say they are the top of the heap.
I still have a couple of Dogtra ys-500 they work just like new.

Posted by pamjohnson on 05-17-2019 01:45 PM:

I have a couple garmins. Junk. They get the job done but I won't buy another. Shock the dog to much for not much of anything.

Posted by POTOMAC on 05-17-2019 07:13 PM:

I have 6 garmin collars I will sell all work all new collars

Posted by JR4661 on 05-17-2019 07:17 PM:

You don't like them either Potomac?

Posted by hat creek mac on 05-17-2019 07:52 PM:

My biggest complaint with all the ones I have tried are that none of them lasted for very long.

I tried one from DT systems made in Texas and have used them ever since. The one I use is powered by the little 9 volt battery with the snap attachment. They make a rechargeable model as well now. Built to last!

I have not tried the Dogtra, but I bought several of the Tri Tronics. Those things were junk.

Posted by Huntnharris on 05-18-2019 12:55 AM:

The new Garmin Barklimiter 2 seems to be a good one as well. It has rubber contacts so it won’t rub a dogs next raw and has a 30 day charge life. My dad is using one and likes it way better than the Barklimiter Deluxe, also have a friend that has 3 of them and he swears by them.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Posted by pamjohnson on 05-18-2019 01:56 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnharris
The new Garmin Barklimiter 2 seems to be a good one as well. It has rubber contacts so it won’t rub a dogs next raw and has a 30 day charge life. My dad is using one and likes it way better than the Barklimiter Deluxe, also have a friend that has 3 of them and he swears by them.
I like the prongs but there horrible

Posted by Reuben on 08-23-2019 09:30 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I have several different bark collars that have lasted over a year with constant use...they last about a week or two on a 2 hour charge...the drawback is false correction now and then...

This one could be best in market...

2 hour charge and lasts 3 to 4 weeks between charges with the least amount of false corrections...
Sportdog SBCR NO BARK...$99.00

I checked my bark Collar purchasing a few years back... I didn't realize it but I own 2 sportdog collars and one doesn’t work and the other is barely hanging on...two years of heavy use is not bad...a drawback is they need recharging about every 8-10 days...

I also have 2 Garmin Bark Limiters...same age and same use and they are in good condition...another plus is that
The limiter holds a charge at least 3 or 4 times longer...
The drawback on my original limiters is that they sometimes correct from other noises...I believe that problem has been solved...the supplier says if that is a problem send them back for replacement...I bought one a couple days ago and it is working nicely...

I will be buying a few more as needed...
I am not saying they are the best on account I haven’t tried them all...but I do know they are great for the money...