UKC Forums
Show all 16 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- How old is to old? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928522659)

Posted by rkt1981 on 09-25-2019 03:37 PM:

How old is to old?

How old is to old to try to get a dog going?
A freind of man has a 3yr female out of slow talking blaze that has used as a brood female.she has raised two litters of pups,but hasn't been fooled with in woods. He has to many dogs and offered to let me have her. Do you think she is to old?

Posted by delta nightlife on 09-25-2019 05:13 PM:

If she is not crazy then I would say go ahead might have to start her like a pup but she should be fine

Posted by DL NH on 09-25-2019 05:25 PM:

Why do people raise pups from unproven parents?? There's everything wrong in doing that in my book. That being said, obviously it wasn't you making the breeding.

As far as your female goes my guess is if it's in her DNA to be a coon dog she'll do it and may well progress at a faster rate than a pup would. Give it a go and let us know the results.

Posted by rkt1981 on 09-25-2019 05:26 PM:

She is very well mannered and loving. She let's my 7yr old girl love all over her. We actually took her hunting the other night with his night champion dog and she struck right with him and ran the track right with him according to the garmin(didn't open as much as him),& even treed right with him.

Posted by DL NH on 09-25-2019 05:41 PM:

Good news! Keep taking her to the woods and whatever natural talent she has will come out of her. The more you take her the better she should get! At some point that will level off just as it does for any hound started as a pup. I don't start pups any more until their 7 mos. or more old. Let them be pups and give them a chance to mature both physically and mentally. Guys lucky enough to live where the pups can run free as they are growing up will often find there pups develop a bit quicker than those that have to be kenneled all the time. They seem to mature quicker.

Posted by oklared on 09-25-2019 10:07 PM:

DUAL CH. Y2KD WENT TO WORLD HUNT AT AGE 10 1/2, WON BOTH CAST AT ZONES

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by oklared on 09-25-2019 10:08 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by oklared
DUAL CH. Y2KD WENT TO WORLD HUNT AT AGE 10 1/2, WON BOTH CAST AT ZONES

READ BELOW ABOUT HER

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by bowling on 09-25-2019 11:47 PM:

Have started several older dogs if you got the time to put her in the woods 40 nights in a row she will start very few hunters are actually willing to put the time in a dog they will change with woods time if given the chance. Only difference in a1,ooo dollar and a 4,000 dollar dog is 40 nights in a row. Seen it done it more than once.

Posted by James B Grice on 09-26-2019 01:54 AM:

Bowling said RIGHT. If you like her GIVE HET A CHANCE. GENETICS WILL TAKE CONTROL WITH OPPORTUNITY

Posted by rkt1981 on 09-26-2019 02:33 AM:

Thanks for all advice. Had a local guy tell i was wasting my time. But i feel like she deserves a chance.

Posted by honalieh on 09-26-2019 02:44 AM:

So Right!

quote:
Originally posted by bowling
Have started several older dogs if you got the time to put her in the woods 40 nights in a row she will start very few hunters are actually willing to put the time in a dog they will change with woods time if given the chance. Only difference in a1,ooo dollar and a 4,000 dollar dog is 40 nights in a row. Seen it done it more than once.

I've always said 30 nights, but 40 is even better. The point is the same. It's nights in a row. 30 or 40 nights in a row, or close to it, is much better than twice as many nights spread over several months.

Posted by Reuben on 09-26-2019 03:20 AM:

If it’s in her she will surprise you with how fast she will progress...

Posted by Reuben on 09-26-2019 03:20 AM:

If it’s in her she will surprise you with how fast she will progress...

Posted by wildwilly0161 on 09-27-2019 04:57 PM:

not to long ago

I remember that it was not that many generations ago that we didn't even start Coonhounds until around 2 years of age. If it's in her it Will come out !!! The only downfall I see is, since she is full-grown it will take a lot more physical effort. However, there are Many Survival of the Fittest methods that I use to draw out the True K-9 predator in all breeds of Hounds.

I start with Scent Wiring on pups and older Hounds that have never been hunted.
Try this, Find a lean meat treat that she Loves and goes crazy for!
cut it up into small pieces and mix it thoroughly with her dog food. Then at feeding time spray or Place quality coon scent all around the food bowl and feed it to her. then skip 2 days and do it again. Making sure to add the Pay treats with the dog food along with the coon scent!!
Then repeat every 2 to 3 days throughout a week or two and she will be treeing in no time at all,

All K-9 preditors Dams train/teach their pups this by dragging their kill into the den allowing their Pups to smell the desired game while they nurse!

Scent Wiring IS step 1 with all hunting Dogs and with many, it is the only step they need as it is a Survival instinct!!!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Posted by wildwilly0161 on 09-27-2019 04:57 PM:

not to long ago

I remember that it was not that many generations ago that we didn't even start Coonhounds until around 2 years of age. If it's in her it Will come out !!! The only downfall I see is, since she is full-grown it will take a lot more physical effort. However, there are Many Survival of the Fittest methods that I use to draw out the True K-9 predator in all breeds of Hounds.

cut it up into small pieces and mix it thoroughly with her dog food. Then at feeding time spray or Place quality coon scent all around the food bowl and feed it to her. then skip 2 days and do it again. Making sure to add the Pay treats with the dog food along with the coon scent!!
Then repeat every 2 to 3 days throughout a week or two and she will be treeing in no time at all,

All K-9 preditors Dams train/teach their pups this by dragging their kill into the den allowing their Pups to smell the desired game while they nurse!

Scent Wiring IS step 1 with all hunting Dogs and with many, it is the only step they need as it is a Survival instinct!!!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Posted by Reuben on 09-28-2019 09:55 PM:

Re: not to long ago

quote:
Originally posted by wildwilly0161

WildWilly...I do something similar with 5 wk old pups...I skip their morning feeding...I use hunger to my advantage, I throw a raw wild hog head in the middle of the backyard and let the whole litter have at it...I take it away before they get totally full...I take it away when they want more...I do this at least 3 times a week apart...but by this time they already like tidbits of raw liver...I use small chunks of raw liver and other meats to find out which pups have that natural inclination to wind trail and find...several things here... I learn how they think and work...they are learning how to work...