UKC Forums Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 81 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Rear dew claws in bench show? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928431282)

Posted by Bigsmo on 10-05-2015 06:21 PM:

Rear dew claws in bench show?

Can a treeing walker with rear dew claws be shown in a bench show or will it to be disqualified? I'd like Ukc's answer on this.

Posted by Bigsmo on 10-05-2015 06:33 PM:

I've looked in the rule book and not seen where it's a disqualifying factor

Posted by muddymike55 on 10-05-2015 07:09 PM:

is this the real big smo??? just wonderin!

Posted by imacorgimom on 10-05-2015 07:55 PM:

If it's a dq, it will be in the breed standard.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Bree...onhound01012011

It says when describing hindquarters, "dewclaws removed", but it is not an eliminating fault or a disqualification.

Home to a bunch of short dogs who occasionally allow me the honor of holding the other end of their leads!

Posted by Jrkb2012 on 10-05-2015 10:13 PM:

Re: Rear dew claws in bench show?

quote:
Originally posted by Bigsmo
Can a treeing walker with rear dew claws be shown in a bench show or will it to be disqualified? I'd like Ukc's answer on this.
Look. Under hindquarters,,,it says dewclaws removed

Posted by AppalachianBlue on 10-05-2015 10:26 PM:

Lol I'm sure the real big smo wouldn't be on the ukc forum. Funny tho cause me and the wife passed his bus that had big smo written on the side in either Ohio or Indiana on our way to world couple weekends ago.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Posted by muddymike55 on 10-05-2015 11:34 PM:

You ever heard his music Kenny? I actually kinda like it but I'm different lol

Posted by Bigsmo on 10-06-2015 01:01 AM:

Wish ukc. would come on here and make an official ruling on it... it also has other standards about feet, tail, coat, dew claws, ears. .etc... only thing it says under disqualifications are undershot or overshot, Unilateral or bilateral. Cryptorchid, Viciousness. Or extreme shyness, Albinism. Deaf. Or blind... my dog would of won best of show ..was the best dog by a landslide, but was denied because of rear dew claws.and was told he could never be showed at the club again!!

Posted by shadinc on 10-06-2015 01:56 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by imacorgimom
If it's a dq, it will be in the breed standard.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Bree...onhound01012011

It says when describing hindquarters, "dewclaws removed", but it is not an eliminating fault or a disqualification.

Exactly what part of "dewclaws removed" do you not understand?

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 10-06-2015 02:12 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

So what you saying is if they have Dewclaws they are DQ'd. Since it also says under feet compact and well padded, with a cat-like appearance. Toes are well arched with strong nails" they are DQd if its not like that.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Posted by yadkintar on 10-06-2015 02:20 PM:

My vet removes them for $60 that's the route I would go !

Posted by shadinc on 10-06-2015 02:21 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
So what you saying is if they have Dewclaws they are DQ'd. Since it also says under feet compact and well padded, with a cat-like appearance. Toes are well arched with strong nails" they are DQd if its not like that.
"Well padded cat-like" is subjective. "Dewclaws removed" is direct. No one would say, 'Well his dew claws are slightly removed". '.

Posted by Bigsmo on 10-06-2015 04:50 PM:

No sir I was talking about a show in Florida... never attended a show in Mars hill

Posted by David Webb on 10-06-2015 06:46 PM:

Apology

Sorry for hijacking on your thread

Grand Night Tight as a Cord

Posted by Bigsmo on 10-07-2015 04:15 PM:

After extensive research I have found out that a treeing walker can not be disqualified for rear dew claws in a show. I believe a lot of the show judges need to know the correct rules before judging a show. Cheating someone out of a win at a show is no different than falsifying a score card and their show license should be revoked especially the ones in Florida and Texas. ....or anywhere for that matter!!! Thank you have a nice day!!! :-)

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 10-07-2015 05:18 PM:

Information?

Where are you getting this info. Post it, I agree but unless you show in black and white some won't believe.

Posted by imacorgimom on 10-07-2015 06:23 PM:

It's all in the breed standard.

Home to a bunch of short dogs who occasionally allow me the honor of holding the other end of their leads!

Posted by Bigsmo on 10-07-2015 06:39 PM:

I just got off the phone with a lady from the ukc office and she said a treeing walker having rear dew claws was NOT a disqualifying factor and that the judges that do so needs to reread the rule book. So if anyone says or thinks differently needs to read the rule book or even better call ukc themselves as I done.

Mike Hopkins
$Backwoods treeing walkers$

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 10-07-2015 09:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Well I guess HE understands and interprets them just fine. You?

Posted by shadinc on 10-07-2015 09:22 PM:

I still understand "dewclaws removed" as dewclaws removed. Please give me your definition.

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 10-07-2015 09:37 PM:

Dew claws removed

Is NOT a disqualifying trait, (by having them)but rather just a point deduction. If it was disqualifying then it would list it. I hope this helps?

The problem I see here is the fact that some judges judge one way and other judges another. Its hard because we are human and see things differently. I was judging a beagle bench show down in Ky back in 2003 once and got to the Champions and this female had I would say 3/8" over bite, A Champion!!! Why? Well I put it in the show packet and sent it in. Heck she was put together great except that. But the real problem was the previous judges just did what they wanted and did not point it out. Attend the seminars, learn the standards, not just for one breed but all. And for everyone's sake don't say you know when you don't. Never hurts to be humble, I think it makes you smarter..

Posted by DFred on 10-07-2015 09:38 PM:

"Breeders and judges have the responsibility to avoid any conditions or exaggerations that are detrimental to the health, welfare, essence and soundness of this breed, and must take the responsibility to see that these are not perpetuated."

I'm not saying that dew claws are a fault. If the standard says they should be removed then obviously they are a health, welfare, essence, or soundness concern. With that said how can this "fault" NOT be perpetuated by cutting them of. They cant, the only way to get rid of dew claws, is to not breed dogs with dew claws. Therefore if they are to not be perpetuated then, according to the standard, dogs with dew claws should be disqualified.

Posted by shadinc on 10-07-2015 10:32 PM:

Re: Dew claws removed

[QUOTE][i]
. I was judging a beagle bench show down in Ky back in 2003 once and got to the Champions and this female had I would say 3/8" over bite, A Champion!!! Why? Maybe she was only shown against dogs with 1/2" over bites and nobody would DQ them.

Posted by H. L. Meyer on 10-08-2015 03:39 PM:

Post the name at U K C

Bigsmo! would you please post the name of the person you talked to they won't care.

Posted by GA DAWG on 10-08-2015 04:44 PM:

But what if they do DQ them. Then what????