UKC Forums
Show all 22 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Safeguard??? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=205817)

Posted by Blue Iron on 04-22-2008 03:07 PM:

Safeguard???

What worms does Safeguard kill? Which does it not kill? What do I need to use to kill the ones Safeguard doesn't kill?

Thanks,
Clyde

GRCH GRNITECH"PR" Blue Iron Brummy HTX

Top 100 Finalist 2012 UKC World Hunt.

King of Hunt 2013 BBOA National Bluetick Days

Tree Blue

I use and recommend Backwoods Supplies

Posted by Blue Iron on 04-22-2008 04:59 PM:

Anybody?

Tree Blue

Posted by Oak Ridge on 04-22-2008 05:10 PM:

http://thecoonden.com/index.php/Dog.../gut-worms.html

Posted by Blue Iron on 04-22-2008 06:13 PM:

Thanks Joe, neat read. So which worms does Safeguard kill and what else do I need to use if Safeguard doesn't kill them all?

Tree Blue

Posted by Oak Ridge on 04-22-2008 06:26 PM:

As far as I know, heartworms are the only ones left. Ivermectin once a month will take care of those, plus it will help with the hooks, round, and whips...

Posted by Maniac on 04-22-2008 07:27 PM:

Re: Safeguard???

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Iron
What worms does Safeguard kill? Which does it not kill? What do I need to use to kill the ones Safeguard doesn't kill?

Thanks,
Clyde

safeguard take care all the worms. ivermectin IS ONLY FOR HEART WORM PERVENTIVE . THATS ALL IT WILL DO. IVERMEC WILL NOT KILL ANY OTHER WORMS.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0522.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1619.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO PACK HUNT
BUY YOU A PAIR BEAGLES!

GR NITE CH. HARWOODMANIAC JR 4 # 2 TOP 100 UKC WORLD 2013 OWNER JAY HYDE & DAVID DEPEW

GRNITE CH Hoghill Harwood Kasper
owners Hyde Warlick Leatherman
Qualified for 2013 world Hhunt
OWNER HYDE & WARLICK LEATHERMAN. MY PH 574 306 8438
K-LIGHTS ph.936 767 4965
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0734.jpg

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 04-22-2008 07:31 PM:

Safegard (fenbendazole) gets them all but heartworms and the flea tapeworm. Use ivermectin once per month for heartworms and use praziquantel for tapes on an "as needed" basis. I usually only have to treat tapes in about one dog per year if I do good with flea control. Tapes will look like grains of rice in the stool.

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Posted by stinkbait1 on 04-23-2008 12:57 AM:

ditto maniac ivomec is only a preventive i've seen several dogs on it get heartworms anyway, i like heartguard it gets um all. blue iron how you got a albany #? do aalot of travlin?

Posted by Blue Iron on 04-23-2008 01:01 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by stinkbait1
ditto maniac ivomec is only a preventive i've seen several dogs on it get heartworms anyway, i like heartguard it gets um all. blue iron how you got a albany #? do aalot of travlin?

Lived in Albany/Leesburg for awhile, to many people got my # to change it LOL. Loved it down that way, not enough jobs in my line of work though. I work on bandsaws in sawmills, heck I was driving from Leesburg to Preston just to work.

Tree Blue

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 04-23-2008 01:06 AM:

quote:
Heartgard and Ivomec have the same active ingedient. That is Ivermectin. If you are talking about Heartgard Plus, does heartworm prevention and gets hooks and rounds, but will not get whips or tapes.

Mike Donaldson

Posted by Dogwood English on 04-23-2008 01:26 AM:

i have understood, even from vets that with heart guard, that some dogs still get heart worms. i use safegard and ivermetrin and have dogs checked at vets and all have safe so far

Posted by Maniac on 04-23-2008 01:43 AM:

quote:
the dog must of had heart worm before you gave it ivomec. or you didnt give on the same time . cause iv been useing it for 32 year and havent had a heart worm problem yet.and still use it today. its cheaper and just as good as any thing else.and most vets will tell you that. and some wont because it is against the law to give it to a dog.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0522.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1619.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO PACK HUNT
BUY YOU A PAIR BEAGLES!

GR NITE CH. HARWOODMANIAC JR 4 # 2 TOP 100 UKC WORLD 2013 OWNER JAY HYDE & DAVID DEPEW

GRNITE CH Hoghill Harwood Kasper
owners Hyde Warlick Leatherman
Qualified for 2013 world Hhunt
OWNER HYDE & WARLICK LEATHERMAN. MY PH 574 306 8438
K-LIGHTS ph.936 767 4965
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy24/maniacjr4/SAM_0734.jpg

Posted by stinkbait1 on 04-23-2008 02:07 AM:

blue iron

i sent u a pm

Posted by gfults on 04-23-2008 11:41 AM:

What kind of safeguard gets them all? Yall using the horse wormer or dog wormer or what?

Posted by Bear on 04-23-2008 11:52 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by gfults
What kind of safeguard gets them all? Yall using the horse wormer or dog wormer or what?

Both work the same.They have the same active ingredient.The horse type is cheaper tham the safeguard labled for dogs. With the horse type one tube will do an average size hound.

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 04-23-2008 12:22 PM:

I use the liquid safeguard for goats. We own a feed and animal health store and on a slow day I sat down with every kind of safeguard on the market. After all of the figuring the goat wormer is the cheapest. A 1000 ml bottle will run you about $100, but will do about 30 average size (50 pounds) dogs. That's $3.33 each at a dosage of 12ml per day for 3 days in a row. You can also get it in the 125 ml bottle for about $15, that pushes the cost up to about $4.75 per dog. Safeguard horse will run you about $9.00 per tube.

Mike Donaldson

Posted by rrs on 04-23-2008 12:31 PM:

there is a supplier on ebay that sells the same formula as safeguard, a vet from greece, in pill form, also has the same in horse, 100 tablets are $30, takes 6 per day for 3 days for 66 lb. dog, the horse dose is 1250 mg, takes 1500 for the same treatment as dog and is $30 for 30 tablets... also has tapeworm medication etc.... is an excellent product from a reliable source if like pill format, much-much less expensive than safeguard for dogs...

Posted by BRYAN J on 04-23-2008 12:57 PM:

Need to investigate the ivermec thing some before you give dogs this stuff especailly if they have heartworms. Can kill the dogs. Google it and see. If they don't have heartworms then treat them with it at a special dose.
I have used heartguard plus for several years and checked 1 time a year. Like I said ivermec will kill a dog if they have hearworms. Its just a preventitive.
Keep the fleas off and you won't have trouble with tapes either.
Very expensive taking care of hounds! I also use frontline plus to help that and with ticks. The mosquito bites are what causes you big problems too if bitten by one thats infected.

SAVE THE COON, HUNT WITH A HOUND!

Posted by gfults on 04-23-2008 06:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by bearhunter
Both work the same.They have the same active ingredient.The horse type is cheaper tham the safeguard labled for dogs. With the horse type one tube will do an average size hound.

So the same dose that worms a 1200 lb horse is about right for a average size hound?

Posted by Eric Gregory on 04-23-2008 07:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by MBD
I use the liquid safeguard for goats. We own a feed and animal health store and on a slow day I sat down with every kind of safeguard on the market. After all of the figuring the goat wormer is the cheapest. A 1000 ml bottle will run you about $100, but will do about 30 average size (50 pounds) dogs. That's $3.33 each at a dosage of 12ml per day for 3 days in a row. You can also get it in the 125 ml bottle for about $15, that pushes the cost up to about $4.75 per dog. Safeguard horse will run you about $9.00 per tube.

This is true, I have had good luck using less than this though. It works on all my dogs at 1cc/10 lbs for 3 days. Absolutely no worms. the we give injectible ivermectin orally at .10cc/10lbs for heart worms.

:Home of:
GRCH GRNTCH 'Stylish' Cindy (Coondawg Claude)
NTCH 'PR' Hardwood Frank
'PR'Hardwood Salty

hardwoodwalkers@yahoo.com
http://hardwoodwalkers.tripod.com/

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 04-23-2008 07:14 PM:

In regard to the horse paste.
Actually that is probably not enough. It takes 1110 mg of fenbendazole per day to worm a 50 pound dog. That is per the package on safeguard canine wormer. If you worm the dog for 3 days in row, which you should, it would take 3330 mg of fenbendazole. The 25 g tube of Safeguard horse paste only contains 2500 mg of fenbendazole. It takes many more times the amount of fenbendazole to worm a dog than is does livestock.

Mike Donaldson

Posted by Eric Gregory on 04-23-2008 07:18 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by MBD
In regard to the horse paste.
Actually that is probably not enough. It takes 1110 mg of fenbendazole per day to worm a 50 pound dog. That is per the package on safeguard canine wormer. If you worm the dog for 3 days in row, which you should, it would take 3330 mg of fenbendazole. The 25 g tube of Safeguard horse paste only contains 2500 mg of fenbendazole. It takes many more times the amount of fenbendazole to worm a dog than is does livestock.

Safe guard may recomend using more more, because they make it??? Either way its good stuff myvet recomends 1cc/10lbs 3 days in a row.

It's the best i have found, I'm glad it works good for you too.

:Home of:
GRCH GRNTCH 'Stylish' Cindy (Coondawg Claude)
NTCH 'PR' Hardwood Frank
'PR'Hardwood Salty

hardwoodwalkers@yahoo.com
http://hardwoodwalkers.tripod.com/