UKC Forums
Show all 6 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Winding pup (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928528812)

Posted by CStephenson on 04-04-2020 06:02 AM:

Winding pup

I have a young pup that I have been letting run while hunting my female. Pup will be 7 months old on the 9th this month. He has winded 2 wild coons so far and missed them both by 1 tree. Tonight he winded a double and was on the right tree this time. I know he is winding them cause he will run along the edge of the woods then stop put his head up and take off in the woods. In a couple minutes he will be barking.

I have turned some coons loose and then wait 20 mins or so and let him out and he still will wind them everytime. Is there anything I should try to get him to put his nose on the ground or just let him figure it out in time. Every night we take him he gets off to himself deeper and deeper.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 04-04-2020 01:19 PM:

Sounds like you have an outstanding prospect, why do you want it to put his nose on the ground? I can't see the problem here, every coonhunter I know would love a good winding dog, I know I would!

Posted by bearhunter747 on 04-04-2020 07:53 PM:

I wouldn't want his nose on the ground, a winding dog will save you alot of steps and tree coons all over dogs with there noses on ground that don't know there's a coon in the place... I can speak from experience as I had a dog like this once a few years back that taught me more about coon hunting than anyone or any other dog period. I'm bout ready to quit cause I haven't been able to find one like him since. Want to sell?? I want even ask his breed, color,how its bred or nothing. Good luck with him let him do it himself and I think you'll like what he makes

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Posted by CStephenson on 04-04-2020 08:09 PM:

I dont want him to stop winding them. I know he is still young but when he winds them he is usually a tree or 2 off from where the coon is. I was wondering there is something I can do to get him to find the right tree when he gets in the area.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 04-04-2020 08:15 PM:

Just give him more experience the more the better!

Posted by Sgraves on 04-05-2020 12:32 AM:

I have one out of bone collector that is 7 years old. He has hunted the way your describing his whole life. Have had some good times, bad times, times I wanted to kill him. To be honest, I wish I had another like him. I love a dog that can wind a coon like that. Lay up coon doesn’t stand a chance. You have something special, I wouldn’t do nothing but hunt that sucker.