UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 38 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- How many coons per acre ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928528919)

Posted by yadkintar on 04-07-2020 09:38 PM:

How many coons per acre ?

Do you expect your dog to tree in a competition hunt.

Tar

Posted by Bill(Chew) on 04-07-2020 10:04 PM:

I doubt we have 1 coon per 100 timbered acres

Posted by Preacher Tom on 04-07-2020 10:15 PM:

Same as I do on a pleasure hunt. All that are there.

Posted by bowling on 04-07-2020 11:25 PM:

Regardless of how many per acre if your dog trees one per 100 acres you are carrying way better than most

Posted by Preacher Tom on 04-07-2020 11:46 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Same as I do on a pleasure hunt. All that are there.

Now don't take me wrong. My dogs can't even come close to treeing every coon there but it is what I expect and why I get disappointed in them.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-08-2020 12:00 AM:

Tom so dogs that racehorse through a mile section in 10 minutes and their handlers would rather call time and move then send them back towards where origanly cut wouldn’t suit you ?

Tar

Posted by Preacher Tom on 04-08-2020 12:13 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Tom so dogs that racehorse through a mile section in 10 minutes and their handlers would rather call time and move then send them back towards where origanly cut wouldn’t suit you ?

Tar

No sir they sure won't. I want coon hunting to be fun and enjoyable.

Posted by Clovis A Nailor on 04-08-2020 12:17 AM:

Mine tree more coons when I hunt by myself. I can tell it anyway I want to.

Posted by Cotton 1927 on 04-08-2020 01:18 AM:

quote:

Man you hit a nerve ....you mean ole deep and alone that must hunt 17 mph passes coon? I'll never belive that!

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 04-08-2020 01:46 AM:

Coons per acre?

In these mountains it's coons per mile, how in the world would anyone know how many coons per acre they had? Tar, you need to be fishing, you have way to much time on your hands. Lol. Dave

Posted by Coal295 on 04-08-2020 01:55 AM:

Miles

I'm right there with you Dave! Sometimes its coon per miles lol! These mountains here in western nc are hard to hunt and it takes a good hound to really enjoy it. Wish I had a good one to enjoy, been looking hard for one!

Posted by yadkintar on 04-08-2020 02:02 AM:

Turn them around send them back through if they get struck they went past coons.

Tar

Posted by Ghost14 on 04-08-2020 03:48 AM:

Re: Miles

quote:
Originally posted by Coal295
I'm right there with you Dave! Sometimes its coon per miles lol! These mountains here in western nc are hard to hunt and it takes a good hound to really enjoy it. Wish I had a good one to enjoy, been looking hard for one!

X2

Posted by yadkintar on 04-08-2020 12:31 PM:

Y’all walking or riding ?

Tar

Posted by Coal295 on 04-08-2020 01:03 PM:

Acres and miles

Walk old forest service roads and old logging roads here mainly- not many places left to road hunt where I am.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 04-08-2020 01:51 PM:

Tarbaby, I had a dog once that would show you how many coons per acre that you had. His name was Mongo Red but my buddies called him the census taker. If he went through a woods and didn't tree a coon then you might as well call time out and move because there wasn't a coon in those woods.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-08-2020 02:02 PM:

Brouther Dogs were like that back then. I had two what I call layup artist. One was a little single registered cut ticked up ugley dog named radar. He made my Christmas good for several years. I been watching a local dog here he made grntch fast. In the $$$ hunts he wins even the late rounds mostly by getting a layup by himself that nothing else can smell and he is a good looking booger to. Probly my next cross.

Tarbaby

Posted by pamjohnson on 04-08-2020 02:15 PM:

It's a fickle thing. You can have a fast hard going dog that can blow threw a hollow and tree a coon at the back 40 and look awesome. You can also have a fast hard going dog that doesn't always blow to the other end of the hollow every time and it can look awesome as well. Some dogs just hunt a straighter line than others. The latter of the 2 will spoil ya. Either is much better than a slower dog that lacks desire to do it's job.
Then there is dogs that hunt different when cut loose with other dogs. I hate a horse race but plenty of dogs do it.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 04-08-2020 03:02 PM:

quote:

Tar

That just doesn't happen nearly as often as people think.

Posted by Bob Hennessey on 04-08-2020 03:12 PM:

Tar, in my area it's how many acres per coon.

You can't fix STUPID!

Posted by yadkintar on 04-08-2020 03:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

I only got two more threads on my list hay is almost ready to cut lol.

Tar

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 04-08-2020 04:40 PM:

My take on this is in a comp hunt you (your dog) is in a race against the clock. The dog can find and tree the most tracks the fastest usually will win. The type of dog that does that can and will vary depending on the cast of dogs and the area you are hunting in IMO. With that said I think we all can agree that speed is the factor. Very difficult to have a dog that hunts fast and hard to not miss any coins as it goes. If a dog is very methodical and doesn’t miss any, often it is to slow at what it’s doing to rack up the score it needs. With all that said the one hour hints are more of a gamble then a good sample of the dog’s ability in many areas because of coon population. I do think that no leash lock will help with this tho.

Posted by yadkintar on 04-08-2020 05:02 PM:

Sonny you think some fear people going back to hunting meat dogs in the hunts because it will change the game on ole deep and alone ?

Tar

Posted by BrokeBackKennel on 04-08-2020 05:20 PM:

Get deep and Get Beat !!!

Broke Back Kennels video productions

Posted by Cotton 1927 on 04-08-2020 05:29 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

But everybody claims to have one, everybody says they got one, bout everyone that's got one to sell says there's will, .......