UKC Forums
Show all 12 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- My female having issues (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928505473)

Posted by Stephen Patton on 06-15-2018 03:38 AM:

My female having issues

My wipeout female started treeing coons at 13 months old. She was treeing coons and being very accurate. Get through the country strike called tracks and finish them. She was looking like a really good prospect. Track dog and tree dog deluxe! She got bred accidentally and I ended up raising the pups. She had no problems giving berth and was a very good momma. I weaned pups at 5 weeks old and let her dry up and put her back in the woods. She treed a few coons at first but she was quitting tracks and leaving trees. She never did any of this before. Now she quits tracks comes back in to me. She won't tree and acts like she doesn't won't to hunt anymore. I'm talking about a dog that trees 120 barks a minute tree dog! Now shes losing her hair on her sides.Does anybody have any input on what may be wrong. Thanks

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-15-2018 04:35 AM:

Hormone imbalance.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Stephen Patton on 06-15-2018 04:42 AM:

What to do to treat hormone issue? Could it be Thyroids?

Posted by Jgarrett on 06-15-2018 05:02 AM:

It’s hard to say for sure what’s going on but it’s dang sure hot and humid and coons are in that summer time pattern here of moving before dark and going back up and not coming down until late. I'm not having as good of hunts as I was a month ago. You add in on top of that she is young and out of shape from being laid up raising pups and I would expect her to not look as good.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-15-2018 02:33 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Patton
What to do to treat hormone issue? Could it be Thyroids?

I'm not going to tell you she's not but what I can tell you is that after weaning the hair loss process is normal and that many females act crazy during and around heat cycle and following pregnancy put that with the heat of summer and being out of shape. Usually everything goes back into line on it's own with a couple of months. Vets can test and supplement in extreme cases.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Richard Lambert on 06-15-2018 02:49 PM:

Vets will tell you not to test for hypothyroidism during or right after pregnancy.
It isn't just dogs. All females can go through post partem depression. And I have had several girlfriends that I just stayed away from when they were "in heat". And human females come in heat once a month. Also you don't want to get near some mares when they are in heat. Trainers have to implant them with birth control meds so they won't come in heat.

Posted by trkrmsy on 06-15-2018 08:31 PM:

My female raised a litter of 11 pups last summer. I started hunting her as soon as she dried up and she acted like a completely different dog. She hardly ever treed possums before but after the pups she treed several a night. She still treed coons but it just wasn't the same as before. It took a couple months before she started acting halfway normal but after she came in heat again it seemed like she was back to normal.

She had the hair loss for awhile too. I gave her vitamins with her food for a couple months but I don't know if it helped anything.

Posted by cole run on 06-15-2018 08:55 PM:

Sometimes it takes a while to get back to normal just keep hunting her she should come around

Posted by Stephen Patton on 06-15-2018 09:49 PM:

Thanks to all your comments so far. It helps to get different opinions. I've been hunting for long time and have never seen this before. I've raised lots of pups and hunted lots of females but never seen one act like this. This female was looking better than any I had ever owned!! I hope she comes back around and if she does you should see her in the winners circle at next spring super stakes!! She was that nice!

Posted by 4play on 06-15-2018 10:33 PM:

JMO

Have blood drawn by a reputable 'up to date' Vet.
have a tick titer panel done.
also have thyroid level checked.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-16-2018 01:38 AM:

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by 4play

Thyriod panel will not have accurate results for a while because of the changes in hormone levels after pregnancy or even near a heat cycle. The hair loss is normal after weaning as I stated above. A females energy is spent on pregnancy then nursing afterwards they will start regerating hair growth in follicles again and often will have access shedding and even bald patches during the process until everything is leveled back out again. If she is eating good and seems to be feeling fine you are most likely dealing with normal post litter issues if not see your vet for a check-up.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by DwayneWhite on 06-18-2018 08:52 PM:

Re: JMO

This would be a good idea

quote:
Originally posted by 4play