UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Coon recipe (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928524043)

Posted by wlewis323 on 11-08-2019 07:50 PM:

Coon recipe

Hunted them for years and haven’t ate one yet. Always sold them. someone told me that if I didn’t get a certain gland out I will get sick. Is that true? Anybody like eating coons? If so what do y’all make coon hash

Posted by wlewis323 on 11-08-2019 08:35 PM:

I know some of y’all got to like eating them for how many people hunt them

Posted by yadkintar on 11-08-2019 08:42 PM:

Not me porkchops are to cheap to eat them things !!

Tar

Posted by sleepy head on 11-08-2019 09:11 PM:

https://youtu.be/pKjB_RBLlRQ

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 11-08-2019 11:41 PM:

I am not saying I will never, but I’m gonna need to be pretty hungry .......

Posted by johnny reb on 11-09-2019 01:08 AM:

You most definitely want to remove the glands. Trim all the fat off you can then prepare it any way you wish. You can par boil them and then roast with vegetables. I like them grilled and barbecued. To me the most similar meat I can compare it to would be lamb.

Posted by nextcoonhunters on 11-09-2019 04:18 AM:

Eaten coon

Yep sure have and do. Clean as much fat off and glands out. Boil reclean remove more fat check for anything that isn't good meat. Than finish in what dish you want. We've made everything from BBQ coon, coon enchiladas, and coon stew. Everyone of them turned out good. The club has a wildlife dinner. Our coon enchiladas were requested again as soon as the dinner came up. And we made coon stew, same as beef stew just with coon instead and extra beef bullion, a big pot. It was all gone it the end of the night.

Posted by Jeff Prince on 11-09-2019 12:49 PM:

Skin it, gut it wash it . Make sure you cut the little scent glands out. Put it in a big pot with potatoes , onions, and carrots. Bake at 350 until meat is falling off the bone. Throw the coon out to the hogs and eat the vegetables and a hamburger.

Posted by wlewis323 on 11-09-2019 07:40 PM:

Where exactly are the scent glands at?

Posted by Rick St.Clair on 11-09-2019 07:48 PM:

Not sure if youve cleaned squirrel but real similar scent glass
Under front arm pits behind knee on hind quarters. Looks like ball of fat

Posted by shadinc on 11-10-2019 11:59 PM:

Glands are easy to see. They're darker than the fat. Sometime there are some glands inside the back and rib cage. Bon appetit.

Posted by big boy on 11-11-2019 12:27 AM:

Recipe

Take musk out put in crock pot ,cook till it falls of the bone , put it a baking pan with your favorite bbq sauce , bake it on 350 for 30 minutes,mmmm good

Posted by BigContry on 11-11-2019 01:05 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Glands are easy to see. They're darker than the fat. Sometime there are some glands inside the back and rib cage. Bon appetit.

You forgot one important aspect of the cleaning process, which is the "Trolling"!!!!

Posted by wesley good on 11-11-2019 03:49 PM:

Exactly what glands and where are they please
I have eat Coon years ago but some were strong I am sure just like any wild how it’s taken care of in the feild makes all the difference

Posted by wesley good on 11-11-2019 03:49 PM:

Exactly what glands and where are they please
I have eat Coon years ago but some were strong I am sure just like any wild how it’s taken care of in the feild makes all the difference

Posted by dbpro56 on 11-11-2019 04:26 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Prince
Skin it, gut it wash it . Make sure you cut the little scent glands out. Put it in a big pot with potatoes , onions, and carrots. Bake at 350 until meat is falling off the bone. Throw the coon out to the hogs and eat the vegetables and a hamburger.

Yes sir!

Bruce Profitt

Posted by T Felderman on 11-11-2019 04:45 PM:

I was hungry till I read this thread.

Posted by Rick St.Clair on 11-11-2019 11:00 PM:

If your seriously wanting to eat one and have it taste good, instead of wasting time on here getting smart ass replies. Just Google it look up what your wanting to know. There are a bunch of recipes and how to videos that will send you in the right direction.

Posted by wlewis323 on 11-12-2019 03:23 AM:

Thanks yes I was looking forward to the smart ass replies because I know most people kill them but won’t eat them. But yeah I was more just making sure the scent gland thing wasn’t a myth... I will experiment with some recipes I already know I want to try to make it into bbq or coon hash I heard it was called

Posted by Larry Atherton on 11-13-2019 07:20 PM:

I go one step further. Do not cut the glands with your skinning knife and continue to use the knife. Also, I remove as much fat as I can, but I do that with all meat.

Properly prepared coon taste identical to beef pot roast.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Reuben on 11-16-2019 01:44 AM:

If I were fixing a coon to eat I would cut him up and soak the pieces in ice water with a dash of vinegar and salt added to the water...after two days I would dump out the water and repeat process...then I would could him up as pot roast...

Posted by shadinc on 11-16-2019 04:03 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
I go one step further. Do not cut the glands with your skinning knife and continue to use the knife. Also, I remove as much fat as I can, but I do that with all meat.

Properly prepared coon taste identical to beef pot roast.

I don't know where you're getting your roast, but you might want to consider changing butcher.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 11-18-2019 07:23 PM:

Actually, Shad, I am not a fan of pot roast. My preferred way to eat pot roast is in a barbeque like a pulled pork sandwich.

I have made raccoon for a lot of people over the years, and they all say that it taste like pot roast. I have even brought barbequed coon to a Christmas dinner at work (University). It didn't get 1 complaint in a room filled with liberals.. It was the first dish gone. The deserts didn't even stand a chance.

I am a good cook though.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 11-18-2019 07:53 PM:

Buddy mine decided try coon and cut glands boiled all fat off then cut it up let it soak in salt water. Fried it like you do deer meat said it was pretty good.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Reuben on 11-20-2019 12:10 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
Buddy mine decided try coon and cut glands boiled all fat off then cut it up let it soak in salt water. Fried it like you do deer meat said it was pretty good.

In my earlier post I said soak in ice water, salt and vinegar and dump water after a day or two and repeat...then I said make a pot roast but I really don’t like pot roast of any kind...but I would make Carne Guisada out of it or fried like deer meat as you said...it could be made to taste good I just have to thing about something else when I eat coon meat...