UKC Forums
Show all 6 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- garmin ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928521240)

Posted by SHORN on 08-19-2019 12:02 AM:

garmin ?

I have a dc40 that doesn't charge or turn on. Is there anything that can be done or are they good for parts only now? Can I get a new battery for it?

Posted by CHEWBACH on 08-19-2019 12:24 AM:

Re: garmin ?

quote:
Originally posted by SHORN
I have a dc40 that doesn't charge or turn on. Is there anything that can be done or are they good for parts only now? Can I get a new battery for it?
try the battery. go on ebay or Bruce should have one.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-19-2019 12:05 PM:

When you put one on the charger and no light comes on and it won't turn either. That is usually a sign of no return for that collar.

Posted by SHORN on 08-20-2019 02:34 AM:

Bruce a battery won’t do any good?

Posted by Pat Bizich on 08-20-2019 03:29 AM:

If the battery was bad it would still light up when the charger is attached and plugged in. I messed around with a few. Bruce is right. if light does not come on it is likely done.

First have you tried another charger to make sure the one you are using is not bad. They do go bad.
If you don't have another one you can check it with a volt meter set to low DC. Plug it in and put the probes on the contacts and see if you get any readings. It won't hurt if they are reversed . You are just trying to see if you got voltage. If the needle moves its probably good then.
If it is good there is another thing though if it were mine I would check. You have nothing to lose.
Dc40 are real easy to open. Once apart I would check the wires that come from the charging port connections to the mother board. Make sure they are attached and with no corrosion . Be extremely careful they are very fine and require steady hands when handling them. If they look good then chances are it is probably done.

There is a market for the charger and parts.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-20-2019 12:27 PM:

Pat gave a very good detailed description what you could check.
Unfortunately the description of the light won't come on even when on charger for 99% of them means they will never work again.

Only thing I could add is if by some slim chance on the motherboard you see corrosion. Some electronic cleaner and a light brushing with stiff tooth brush may work. But in most cases won't for the condition you described.