UKC Forums
Show all 12 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Puppy Strangles ??? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928334651)

Posted by 562clayton on 08-23-2013 03:52 AM:

Puppy Strangles ???

Has anyone ever heard of puppy strangles? I got a pup that is recovering from it. Very nasty, painful looking crap. My question is, does anyone know of any long term effects? Ive been told I should have her spayed.

Posted by Dwils on 08-23-2013 07:14 AM:

Don't spay her . That's hogwash . I've seen it before ; painful for a pup ; usually vet gives prednisone I've been told

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Posted by Redbone Chic on 08-23-2013 08:45 PM:

I have a male that had it as a pup, he recovered just fine and you can't even tell he ever had it. Never has even gotten sick or anything.

GRWCH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Auringer's Tree Slammin Brodie HTX
-Qualified for 2013 world hunt

NITECH GRWCH GRCH 'PR' Tree Slammin MN Tuff
Pass towards HTX
WCH CH'PR' Tree Slammin Gracie

Posted by 562clayton on 08-23-2013 09:10 PM:

I thought the same thing. She was real sick for a couple weeks, I've been giving predizone and she is doing great. She never lost energy or her appetite. Would it be safe to go ahead and sell her when she is 100% over this?

Posted by bert52 on 08-24-2013 01:45 AM:

have a jack russell house dog....had this and took long time for him to get over it w/medication....now 1yr old this coming sept 1 and just now getting over it!

Posted by STROKIN on 08-24-2013 03:36 AM:

I had a male pup that got it. I never sold the pup even after he got over it. I do think that it affects them in some way. They run a fever and as we all know that will affect them in some way. This dog seemed like he was brain dead. Don't know if it was on the account of straggles or not. Just know he acted mentally challenged.

Posted by 562clayton on 08-27-2013 03:49 AM:

Pup was on her way to coming out of this I thought. In the last week we've seen huge improvement, until this today. Pup couldn't get up on her own, high fever. Had to put her down.

Posted by bobby593 on 08-27-2013 03:55 AM:

Sorry to here that

Posted by Danny Glista on 08-27-2013 11:20 AM:

Sorry to see this

Prednizone is just part of it! Given twice a day. The vet should have also provided a antibiotic to keep the infection under control from all the open sores that start to develop around the upper and lower muzzle area. Also given twice a day.If this was truly puppy strangles, the pup will always have a stye in either both or at least one of it's eyes. Vet should have also told you to put some type of anti bacterial cream on sores 2 or 3 times a day to keep them soft and aid in keep them from cracking open and getting worse. If vet didn't inform you of all of the above, I would find a new vet !

Posted by Joshua Hicks on 08-27-2013 07:18 PM:

strangles

I have a 4yr old male that had it. Took 3 rounds of antibiotics and prednizone. Nothing wrong with him now. It didn't affect him in anyway

Posted by Ryan J on 08-27-2013 07:21 PM:

I have seen I don't if anyones for sure how they get it but it is bad. Long term affect if this helps he never got as big as the rest of the litter and he never turned out either.

Posted by Clifton on 08-28-2013 04:13 AM:

I had a female come down with a bad case of Strangles. She healed up with some scaring of course. She has made a pretty decent hound.

(PCH Wipeout Zeb Again x Pch Stylish Snag)