UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Beagles (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- off the ground kennel (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=392264)

Posted by hunterguy on 12-13-2010 03:51 AM:

off the ground kennel

hi everyone, first i want to say happy christmas and a happy new year for everyone.

i am making my new off the ground kennel but i just want to know if you keep your dogs in yours off the ground kennels even when its so cold and with snow, or you take them away from de off the graund kennels and put the dogs in a barn or something during the winter.

Posted by Roy Pasmore on 12-13-2010 11:35 AM:

kennels

My dogs stay in off the ground kennels year around. Have no problems with them.

Posted by toe cutter on 12-13-2010 11:19 PM:

year round.
http://www.coondawgs.com/articles/offgroundkennels.html

Posted by Jim88 on 12-14-2010 01:48 PM:

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/...
43_n.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/...
47_n.jpg

My new kennel that i just finished this fall, 8' x 10', need to build three more of them, put my two older dogs into too this one, called it my Beagle High Rise Retirement Condo! LOL

Jim and Sherry Bolyard

Posted by hunterguy on 12-14-2010 08:19 PM:

thanks

thanks to alll of you if anyone have pictures i would like to see them, thanks

Posted by wvduece on 12-16-2010 07:27 PM:

i keep all mine in above ground all year i put straw in their boxes for warmth but the dogs dont seem to want the straw in there they drag it out so now i just put 2 dogs together so they can keep each other warm ive baught several bales of straw and cedar chips they drag them too

Posted by Gary Hazel on 12-18-2010 04:00 PM:

off the ground kennel

I keep my coonhounds in off the ground kennel year around.

John 3:16

Posted by KeithC on 12-19-2010 03:56 AM:

Above ground kennel is the way to go and I keep mine there all year also.

Posted by DHARVEY on 12-20-2010 05:55 PM:

pics

i am gettin ready to build a new one off the ground>> could some of you post some pics to give me some ideas... thanks Doug

HBCH Hardtime Heat Em Up Psycho
HBCH Harvey's Tap Out
GRHBCH Treaty Line Grave Digger
Harvey's Beware "Rowdy"
304-203-3581

Posted by CSG on 12-20-2010 10:27 PM:

Re: pics

quote:
Originally posted by DHARVEY
i am gettin ready to build a new one off the ground>> could some of you post some pics to give me some ideas... thanks Doug
Come out the house harv. check mine out----do sumpin different than I put wire-floor down elev. a lil higher fer poop and put a catch pan on angle fer hosen off purposes HOLAR AT ME! Buy wire floor down charleston off of that Eisenhut feller----HOLLAR AT ME WELL GO GUNNIN AND YOU CAN CHECK OUT ME KENNELS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL HAVE A BOBBY MEMORIAL SLAUGHTEREN HE WAS WORTHY FER SUCH A PARTY!

Posted by KeithC on 12-20-2010 11:09 PM:

Posted by MTNEERBP on 12-25-2010 01:13 AM:

Keith i would like to see some more pictures of your kennels at diffferent angles

mtneercurs@aol.com

Posted by KeithC on 12-25-2010 03:23 AM:

There pictures posted on my website runninwildbeagles@weebly.com. Your also more than welcome to come and look at them
Keith

Posted by Bad Luck Kennels on 12-25-2010 07:50 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by KeithC
There pictures posted on my website runninwildbeagles@weebly.com. Your also more than welcome to come and look at them
Keith

Hey Keith i`ll fix your mess up

www.runninwildbeagles.weebly.com

Check out www.badluckkennels.weebly.com

Posted by CSG on 12-25-2010 04:30 PM:

ITS SIMPLE!

FER THE REASON YOUR THE MAN GOINA MAINTAINCE THE HOUNDS IN KENNEL BUILD IT TO SUIT UR FANCY-BOTTOMLINE! 1ST AND FOR MOST OFF THE GROUND SO YOU DONT HAVE TO BEND OVER! I BELIEVE THAT WIRE FLOOR IS FLAT FLAWLESS!-CATCH PAN ON ANGLE FER HOSIN PURPOSES---WEEP HOLE AND A STEADY SUPPLY OF LIME TO THROW ON WEEP HOLE AND WORSH IT IN! IT PAYS FER IDEAS USE UR BEANER AND SUIT UR-SELF ITLL PAY OFF---FER THE SIMPLE REASON IT WILL BE SEMI-PERMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOPED THIS HELPED!

Posted by sellbuy on 12-26-2010 09:45 PM:

re

wow!

Posted by artkiger on 12-28-2010 02:59 AM:

Off ground pens

Can anybody please tell me the purpose for this. I do not understand the concept for having them above ground, I'am not aposed to the idea, if there is a good reason, hunting profit, health, or any other I will start to build one this weekend. Please include pros and cons. Thanks

Posted by TwoSocks on 12-28-2010 03:10 AM:

I have above ground kennels. I got my first two beagles three and a half years ago. I started with them on the ground (concrete), and the winter months tend to get messy. My above ground kennels have treated decking boards with an inch and a half space between each. The dogs learn very quickly to squat between rungs when going number two. If they don't, it is easily scraped out with a hoe or shovel. I very seldom have to scrape crap. I also have equipped each house with a new hound heater about a month ago. They run on 1.5 amps, which is not much juice at all, and it is currently about 15 degrees here, not including wind chill, and my houses stay at roughly 45 to fifty degree's, but could easily turn the thermostat up on them if I wished. This also gives me a peace of mind knowing that they are not outside shivering in their houses. Each of the houses on the kennels are equipped with doors. ( I recommend Seneca Kennels). Their doors are very nice. I have them installed on my new above ground kennel, but have Amish made doors on the older kennel. This keeps the cold wind from blowing into the houses on bone chilling nights, which in itself is probably good enough with a little bit of straw or bedding! Hope this helps. I will try and get a couple pics of my kennels soon. I really like my setup!

Home of 2008 Black Gold Ohio Junior State Race Winner and 2009 Black Gold All Age State Race Winner: CH GRHBCH OLINGER'S POLLY WANNA WABBIT

HBCH CH OLINGER'S SINGING SADIE

CHECK OUT OLINGER'S BEAGLE KENNELS WEBSITE & DAILY BLOG: www.olingersbeaglekennels.weebly.com

Posted by MIKE CARDER on 12-28-2010 02:02 PM:

Two socks

Where did you get those heaters? That seems like a good idea.

I have concrete runs in my kennels. Each8'x14 foot attached to my building with a dog box in side. I used mining belt to cover the holes. The hounds usually use the bathroom in one spot. I have 6'chain link fence with 3' gates. Metal roof with foam insulation between purlins to cut down on sweating and heat radiation from sun. I might have more maint on them but I just want them to have plenty on space to run jump and play in there. I do bleach the concrete once a month to disinfect everything.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Posted by TwoSocks on 12-28-2010 04:41 PM:

Mike,
I ordered the hound heaters directly from hound heater.
www.houndheater.com

Home of 2008 Black Gold Ohio Junior State Race Winner and 2009 Black Gold All Age State Race Winner: CH GRHBCH OLINGER'S POLLY WANNA WABBIT

CHECK OUT OLINGER'S BEAGLE KENNELS WEBSITE & DAILY BLOG: www.olingersbeaglekennels.weebly.com

Posted by Blar Mountain on 12-28-2010 06:03 PM:

flooring

whats better coated wire flooring or wood slats?

Posted by TwoSocks on 12-28-2010 07:16 PM:

just my opinion, but i wouldn't want to be walking on wire all day long......wooden decking boards allow for the dogs to come out and walk around comfortably while allowing the fecal matter to fall through the spaces between boards. I have heard that being on wire all the time will make dogs pads sore, I guess I could see how/why.

Posted by CSG on 12-28-2010 09:33 PM:

WHAT I KNOW!

I USED 5/8 PRESSURE TREATED PLY FER FLOOR AND IM NOT HAPPY EVERY SO OFTEN I GOTA BLEETCH IT AN HOSE IT OFF----SLATS WOULD BE BETTER THAN I DID BUTT-----WOOD IS WOOD ITS GOT PORES AND WILL ABSORB JERMS AND CANT SEE IT BEIN A GOOD THING SO IM GOINA GO WIRE ON MY NEW KENNEL FER MY NEXT LITTER! I HAVE HEARD IT IS HARD ON THERE FEET ---AND HUNTED WIT FELLERS THAT RAISED THERE HOUNDS ON WIRE FER YRS. AND THEY SAY NO! IM GOINA TRY IT AND FIND OUT----ID SAY PUTTIN A OLDER HOUND ON WIRE WOULD HURT---SEEIN HOW IT WERNT RAISED ON WIRE! I WANA GO LOW MAINTENCE NO SHOVEL OR HOE!

Posted by KeithC on 12-28-2010 10:57 PM:

My dogs have been on wire for over a year with no problems. But I also put 2 decking boards in front of the dog box to lay on.

Posted by D.B. on 12-29-2010 06:47 AM:

I have 8'Long x 2' Wide x 3' high runs on my pen's I have deck boards right at the enterence of the sleeping quaters and it extends 4' from the sleeping quarters, then I have 2' of plastic coated heavy gauge wire in the middle and then another 2 feet of deck board by the front door of the kennel. The 2 feet at the front gives me a place to put thier water and food bowls and they can eat without standing on the wire.

Believe it or not but all my dogs use the wire to do thier business on, grant it sometimes they do crap on the boards and of course the males cock thier legs, but it only takes a min. to scrape the crap to the wire, and if it doesn't fall through I scrape it through with the same scraper, I only use 1" by 1" wire because of thier feet, I've seen guys use larger and it just looks like the dog's are trying to do a balancing act! Once every 2 weeks or so I hit it all with a little water and bleach and I use a "deck brush" to scrub it. Also I throw Hydrated Lime under the the wire on the ground, this really keeps the smell down and keeps the fly's away!

I like that my dogs stay off the ground and out of thier own waste.

2006 Pa State Champ.GRHBCH Yankee Barney ( RIP)
HBCH Move Em Out Hank (RIP)
HBCH Yankee's Haunted Hill Storm (RIP)
2010 MD. State Champ. Overall Hunt/ Best of Show
"Bare's Yankee Peddler"
HBCH D.B.'s Yankee Tank
CHHBCH Half Way Frenchman's Cracker(RIP)
HBCH D.B.'S Big Creek Rosebud
HBCH Pardon Jack's White Azz
D.B.'s Hurryup Victory
D.B.'S Hurricane Chubby Chuck