UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 47 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Outstanding Track dog (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928518372)


Posted by Kler Kry on 05-09-2019 02:11 PM:

Outstanding Track dog

Who has the most outstanding track dog that you've hunted with that also has a coon at the end? If you have to ask for details then you probably haven't seen one.


Posted by Richard Lambert on 05-09-2019 02:59 PM:

There aren't any more. They are a thing of the past. Now we have tree dogs.


Posted by yadkintar on 05-09-2019 03:07 PM:

Well now hummm if your color blind you might never see one I see one pretty often.



Tarbaby


Posted by Richard Lambert on 05-09-2019 03:44 PM:

Tarbaby, you see a lot of things.


Posted by yadkintar on 05-09-2019 03:58 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, you see a lot of things.




I didnít say he was mine ! He is 1/2 redbone and 1/2 blutick I breed running dogs that will tree but ole rusty can kick it up anouther notch he is like greased lightning.


Tarbaby


Posted by Donnie Stevens on 05-09-2019 04:18 PM:

For five years I hunted a male out of Mojo and Valley Creek Tramp. Cold nosed and fast. I've seen him run for 300-500 yards before other dogs with "good noses" could open on the track. He was a track dog til the trackended then he was a world class tree dog. II've seen him leave one tree when I owned him and I'm sure he treed 1000 coon. Best rough country coon dog I've seen that could also destroy a cast in thick coon. I give him to a pleasure hunter last year at 8 1/2.

__________________
Friends don't let friends hunt blueticks


Posted by Sonny Phipps on 05-09-2019 04:51 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
For five years I hunted a male out of Mojo and Valley Creek Tramp. Cold nosed and fast. I've seen him run for 300-500 yards before other dogs with "good noses" could open on the track. He was a track dog til the trackended then he was a world class tree dog. II've seen him leave one tree when I owned him and I'm sure he treed 1000 coon. Best rough country coon dog I've seen that could also destroy a cast in thick coon. I give him to a pleasure hunter last year at 8 1/2.


Iíve seen a lot of mojo dogs run tracks that nothing else did! Lol. Iím just stirring you up, Iíve seen good track dogs outta that line. Yours sounds like a notch above most.

__________________
Get deep or Get Beat!


Posted by pamjohnson on 05-09-2019 05:05 PM:

Daul gr nt ch Garners bawling blue hank rip only semen and some offspring.


Posted by Donnie Stevens on 05-09-2019 09:09 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
Iíve seen a lot of mojo dogs run tracks that nothing else did! Lol. Iím just stirring you up, Iíve seen good track dogs outta that line. Yours sounds like a notch above most.


Copy that lol. It took a good portion of that five years to get that foolishness stopped

__________________
Friends don't let friends hunt blueticks


Posted by ssgied on 05-09-2019 09:33 PM:

I do! I didn't raise or train her but I sure am proud to own her. Just bred her to one that was her equal in his day. Hoping for great things.


Posted by Blaze P. on 05-10-2019 12:11 AM:

Skuna river blaze


Posted by AndyMiller on 05-10-2019 12:52 AM:

coma and wipe out dogs ,,,wipe dogs come from the coma dogs are track dogs and more accrate but maybe not as quick as those hot nose dogs

__________________
Rolling Thunder Walkers 330.204.8844 A DOG IS A DOG YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN U TURN THEM LOOSE


Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-10-2019 01:43 AM:

.

Can someone define an outstanding track dog? I think people equate how the dog barks on track with their ability on the track. I have seen in most cases it is two different things. I think accuracy has to play a role in determining how good of a track dog, one is.

__________________
www.ConkeysOutdoors.com
"Boss Lights"


Posted by nitehunter2004 on 05-10-2019 02:27 AM:

One year old Homemade Stella, 2 UKC Wins, has caught 2 coon on the ground.
Lipper & Hardwood Bean Bred!



Split from her litter mate brother Ch Homemade Trouble that has 1 UKC Win!

__________________
T.Osborne..Homemade Kennels!
Home Of.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean 11/28/03 - 4/14/14.
GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&Rís Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)


HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480


Posted by JiM on 05-10-2019 03:16 AM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Can someone define an outstanding track dog? I think people equate how the dog barks on track with their ability on the track. I have seen in most cases it is two different things. I think accuracy has to play a role in determining how good of a track dog, one is.


Accuracy and how fast that line moves on the Garmin. I've seen plenty that sounded fast but that line on the Garmin uncovered the truth.

__________________
UKC Nite Champion Stylish Harry's Trixie - 2017 World Hunt Qualified - Owners - Sizemore/Martin
PKC CH/UKC GrNtCh Stylish Kate - 9/12/08 to 9/23/2016 R.I.P - Owners Sizemore/Martin
AKC/UKC NtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jeff 5/2/2000 to 1/22/2012 R.I.P.
AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.


Posted by DL NH on 05-10-2019 03:22 AM:

Bruce

Under what terms do you want a "good" track dog defined? Is it in terms of what wins in competition or is it in terms of a good pleasure dog? Is there a difference between the 2? To some extent, what one sees as worthless could be the others treasure.

One of the absolute most enjoyable hounds I ever had the pleasure to run with a lot was no more than medium speed. Sometimes he'd open on colder tracks than he could handle. You could call him off those if they were really bad. More often than not though he'd finish them and have the meat if you left him alone. Saw many a night where he'd trail for 30 mins plus telling a story as he went.

He was a fully open track dog that used his voice according to the condition of the track, didn't boo who and get anchored but moved ahead. As the track condition improved he opened more freely. He easily became a Nite Ch. My friend who owned him didn't get into the competition much so he never went beyond that.

Back in March of 1986 this fellow went to the BBCHA annual spring meeting in Natchez, MS. On his way down he stopped in VA and entered this dog in a UKC night hunt. Their was a nasty snow storm and temps in the 20's. They only had about 10 dogs entered in the hunt. Drum treed (2) coon that night, both on the outside. He was the only dog that ran and treed a coon out of the 3 casts that were sent out.

Not sure most in today's world would want that type of dog. Medium range hunt, cold nosed, fully open trailing track dog and had the meat the majority of the time. Checked in occasionally if he wasn't struck in. Does anyone Hunt this style anymore?

__________________
Dan


Posted by AAThoundhunter on 05-10-2019 03:31 AM:

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Accuracy and how fast that line moves on the Garmin. I've seen plenty that sounded fast but that line on the Garmin uncovered the truth.


The lines on the Garmin tell you almost everything you need to know.


Posted by Blaze P. on 05-10-2019 03:39 AM:

Good track dog has a brain and uses it. Pushes it hard as they can and has the meat. Why would anyone think any less? You can't have a track dog without a coon in the tree at the end. That's the end of the track, anything else is worthless.


Posted by bowling on 05-10-2019 07:25 AM:

Skuana river buck fork dollar best track dog I ever followed no such thing as a bad or cold track he ran them all the same.. made very few dens ran them the right way.


Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-10-2019 12:19 PM:

.

The Garmin has uncovered a lot of things. One is many dogs with trailing a coon around the swamp. Goes over the same track two or three times trying to figure it out. Before Garmin I thought that was a determined track dog grubbing up a track. Garmin showed me it may be a stupid track dog trying to figure out where the coon went.

__________________
www.ConkeysOutdoors.com
"Boss Lights"


Posted by OLD TIMER on 05-10-2019 12:33 PM:

DL NH

To answer your last question in your post-

Yes

__________________
OLD TIMER


Posted by Gmccall on 05-10-2019 12:47 PM:

Bowling hit the nail on the head, that's how a coondog is supposed to act. My thoughts on a lot of dogs I see today are they just run around in woods making noise,then find a hot coon and tree it or just find a tree doesn't matter most of the time . I hunt the yadkin River strain of dogs , the ones I keep strike a track go one way with good speed tree a tree with a coon, not just a knothole . I want say before anyone gets mad these dogs are culled heavy there are sorry ones in the YR strain also . One of the best ones around today is Dual Grand YR Deacon and he's putting all this in his pups and grandpups . Look on stud page to find him.


Posted by Stan Ferrell on 05-10-2019 01:11 PM:

Re: Bruce

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Under what terms do you want a "good" track dog defined? Is it in terms of what wins in competition or is it in terms of a good pleasure dog? Is there a difference between the 2? To some extent, what one sees as worthless could be the others treasure.

One of the absolute most enjoyable hounds I ever had the pleasure to run with a lot was no more than medium speed. Sometimes he'd open on colder tracks than he could handle. You could call him off those if they were really bad. More often than not though he'd finish them and have the meat if you left him alone. Saw many a night where he'd trail for 30 mins plus telling a story as he went.

He was a fully open track dog that used his voice according to the condition of the track, didn't boo who and get anchored but moved ahead. As the track condition improved he opened more freely. He easily became a Nite Ch. My friend who owned him didn't get into the competition much so he never went beyond that.

Back in March of 1986 this fellow went to the BBCHA annual spring meeting in Natchez, MS. On his way down he stopped in VA and entered this dog in a UKC night hunt. Their was a nasty snow storm and temps in the 20's. They only had about 10 dogs entered in the hunt. Drum treed (2) coon that night, both on the outside. He was the only dog that ran and treed a coon out of the 3 casts that were sent out.

Not sure most in today's world would want that type of dog. Medium range hunt, cold nosed, fully open trailing track dog and had the meat the majority of the time. Checked in occasionally if he wasn't struck in. Does anyone Hunt this style anymore?


Most people do not have the patience for a true track dog.


Posted by yadkintar on 05-10-2019 01:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Gmccall
Bowling hit the nail on the head, that's how a coondog is supposed to act. My thoughts on a lot of dogs I see today are they just run around in woods making noise,then find a hot coon and tree it or just find a tree doesn't matter most of the time . I hunt the yadkin River strain of dogs , the ones I keep strike a track go one way with good speed tree a tree with a coon, not just a knothole . I want say before anyone gets mad these dogs are culled heavy there are sorry ones in the YR strain also . One of the best ones around today is Dual Grand YR Deacon and he's putting all this in his pups and grandpups . Look on stud page to find him.




Shhhhhhh donít tell everybody our secret they will all want one !!!

Tar


Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-10-2019 03:23 PM:

.

Dog on the left is directly out of Drop Dead Fred who was out of Skuna River Lipper.
Diva has always been a fine track dog for me.

__________________
www.ConkeysOutdoors.com
"Boss Lights"


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:02 PM. Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 47 posts from this thread on one page

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.0
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Limited 2000 - 2002.
Copyright 2003-2017, United Kennel Club