UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 28 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Bark collar? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928475445)

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-22-2017 04:05 AM:

Bark collar?

I know some guys are partial to using one and others do it all the time?i have a young dog that loves to bark in the kennel and have never used a bark collar before. To use or not to use? Pros and cons? Let's hear your thoughts...

Posted by RunninMichigan on 02-22-2017 06:00 AM:

Also interested in seeing the replies

Broken T Kennels

TAKE A KID HUNTING!

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-22-2017 12:20 PM:

Not looking to good for us getting some replies haha

Posted by ridgrunner72 on 02-22-2017 12:28 PM:

I have a young one that likes to bark so I purchased a barking collar that increases the intensity the more he barks and then will reset if he continues to bark thru it. it only took a few hours and he figured out it was better to not bark and life has been great. The only downfall that I have noticed is he knows now that when the collar is off that he can bark but he is a lot better about not doing it so much. It has no impact on him when I take him out hunting and put the shocking collar on since he will bark no problem on game.

The main thing that can be an issue is you have to be careful how long you leave the collar on them. To long and to tight the prongs will make holes in the neck area and leaving it on for to many days can desensitize the neck and the collar doesn't work as well.

Hope this helps it did for me and I didn't have to physically correct the dog which was getting old for me and him

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-22-2017 12:41 PM:

I think they work just fine.

Most of the CONS come from not using the collar properly.
Here is what I have seen done to dogs and pups with a bark collar on.
Seen it put on so tight it it wears sore spots on their neck.
Seen it put on dog and then the dogs neglected and not fed and water properly. Kind of like your not hearing them your not caring for them.
Seen then put on dogs together in the same pens and they get to fighting thinking it is the other dog shocking them.
If your not going to use them responsibly, don't use them.

They work fine for me and I don't have any problem using them on young dogs. I think most recommend the dog to be above 35 pounds. Couple times a month we have several trucks of hunters here with their dogs and mine tend to get to barking then. I just put them in their pens with the collars on and they get the message real quick.

Which ones are the best has been something I have went back and forth on for 5 years now. I think at times every company for some reason or another gets a bug in their electronics. Couple problems with that. The collar don't work right for the customer and even after the bug is gone people talk about how a product is bad for 5 years when the company recognized the problem and fixed it several years ago.
Let me mention Dogtra for example. I was a firm believer in the YS500 over other brands for a few years. Then a couple years ago there seem to be a change in the quality of the product. I saw it and my customers saw it. Then they discontinued the product and came out with the YS 600. These work flawless for me and have several improvements over the YS 500. No someone that got a YS500 when they had issues will not be a Dogtra fan for the rest of their life. I can understand that but again I use what I sell and I sell a lot of bark collars of several different brands and I have seen all the companies go through good and bad with their products.

The most common problem if one does't work is you don't have it fitted right on the neck.
Next most common thing is many a dog learns quickly it is going to get them if they bark, even with a collar turned off they start to bark then squeal. Then the owner thinks it is shocking them for no reason. Have to use a lot of common sense and a little knowledge with this product.

Many on here will say how fearful the are they are going to stop their dogs from trailing, how it effects their hunting, and several different things. If, I have one that needs a collar at the house and it affects any hunting or trailing ability. I have the wrong dog in my pen to begin with.

Posted by pttm08 on 02-22-2017 12:45 PM:

I use them all the time. Most of the time the batteries are dead but they think they work. Now when you say young dog how young? I will introduce mine to a shock collar first so they know when that collar beeps that next will be a shock and not be surprised. From experience if you just throw one on a pup and they start barking they do not figure it out very quickly and will try barking through it. Most of the time that will lead to them actually burning holes in there neck. So introduced to the dog correctly I think they are wonderful tools to have. Never has effected one from running track nor or barking when it should

Home of

PR CH Big Blue Buster HTX
PR CH Angle Plantation's Red Jasper

Let's get Ticked

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-22-2017 01:11 PM:

The main thing Im worried about is them getting use to it and not barking when hunting but you all have said it hasn't affected your dogs so I will heed the advice...my pup is 4 months old she's a great dog,listens perfect,seems like she's gonna be an easy one to train but the only downfall is she barks in the kennel and I don't like that...I have an older dog that won't make a peep in the kennel until he sees me coming with food or a leash but that's just how he has always been I never had to shock him for it...is there a collar that tones off before shocking the dog or do they all just immediately shock when a bark happens,also how tight does it need to be on their neck...thanks for all the input,keep it coming..

Posted by walkerdawg7 on 02-22-2017 01:16 PM:

I put them on all of my dogs and they work great. The only things with the garmin ones i have it cuts off if they dont bark for a while but you just cut it off and back on. overall the best fix for a barking dog. It doesnt affect mine when we go hunting but I dont know about others.

Posted by Huntnharris on 02-22-2017 01:52 PM:

The best advice I can tell you is buy the rechargeable type, like the Garmin Barklimiter Deluxe, just as long as you can charge it and not have to buy batteries. They always go dead at the wrong and worst time! Plus those cr2 batteries are expensive!

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Posted by snaggles on 02-22-2017 02:29 PM:

every dog is different. Some it affects in the woods some it does not. I have a mail that wears one all the time an take him to the woods he is fine other than I have noticed he is not as fast to open as he use to be. now on the other hand I have female that it ruined. she no longer needs one that shocks just a dummy collar keeps her quiet but she will not tree with any kinda tracking collar at all on her. idc if u show her a cage coon or if she is treed if u slip a garmin collar around her neck she cuts off like a light switch. so I would deffinantly say that it depends on the dog.

Posted by Fire Archer on 02-22-2017 02:30 PM:

I have used one and had success with it but as mentioned before they learn when it is not on them. I have also had good success squirting them in the face with a water bottle when they bark.

Posted by johnny reb on 02-22-2017 02:36 PM:

In those cases I would say that the collar was used incorrectly. You should have no problem with a bark collar if used correctly.

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-22-2017 03:10 PM:

Snaggles that's what I'm worried about is her getting use to it and then not barking when a tracker is on her maybe just doing it a little at a time would work..and squirting her on the face with a bottle would probably do the job but heck I don't wanna have to go outside and squirt her then get in the house and have to turn back around to do it all over again...definately don't wanna ruin a good dog though.

Posted by gpent24 on 02-22-2017 03:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by snaggles
every dog is different. Some it affects in the woods some it does not. I have a mail that wears one all the time an take him to the woods he is fine other than I have noticed he is not as fast to open as he use to be. now on the other hand I have female that it ruined. she no longer needs one that shocks just a dummy collar keeps her quiet but she will not tree with any kinda tracking collar at all on her. idc if u show her a cage coon or if she is treed if u slip a garmin collar around her neck she cuts off like a light switch. so I would deffinantly say that it depends on the dog.

I have a 2 year old male dog that I put it on in the kennel. This dog normally gives a ton of mouth on track. Put him out after he had the bark collar on for a day and he goes 500 yards trailing and never made a peep. He overed it after a couple of hunts. But I definitely don't use it on him anymore. However, we have a 9 month old walker puppy that will bark until it shocks him every single time we put it on him.

Posted by pztrailman on 02-22-2017 03:33 PM:

I don't see anyone mentioning that they get the dog use to the collar before they actually use it for bark control or a shock collar. I think you should get them use to the collar on him before he is shocked. Put it on for a few hours take it off, leave it all day, take it off, leave it on over night, take it off. I think you should do this for at least a week. Don't let the dog associate the barking with the collar. If you put the collar on right away and shock for barking they are going to know the collar is doing it. I think a pup should be opening in the in the woods before you use a bark collar at home. JMO

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-22-2017 03:53 PM:

Are there collars that have a tone before the shock or just the initial shock...aldo how old are your dogs before you pull out the bark collar

Posted by firebird on 02-22-2017 04:05 PM:

I have a young one that got in a habit of barking at you when you went in the kennel. So I bought a Dogtra and a second dummy collar. Took a week of the real one to teach her. And now the dummy one works 100%. I don't Leave it on all the time but sometimes she needs a reminder so it goes on for a couple days.

The dogtra has a delay between shocks. So if they power through the shock and keep barking they don't get whacked again for 10seconds.

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-22-2017 04:40 PM:

I can only speak for my dogs. Like is said earlier most companies have started to put a size number of 35 pounds for use. My pups started wearing them when they were 6 months old and they are 7 months old now. I took them out of the pen two nights ago and removed the bark collars and put on Garmin TT 15 training collars on right away and put them in the dog box. Took them to the woods and cut them loose and they didn't have any trouble barking at a coon.

Posted by Ron Ashbaugh on 02-22-2017 05:10 PM:

I have had an old innotek for literally 15 years AT LEAST. It recharges, has magnet to set the intensity. I cannot believe I never lost that magnet or charger with all the moves I did in that time. The collar long since was ruined and I put it on a dayglo.

I charge it up, put it on the highest level and walk away. In a day or 2 I loosen it so it isn't really even making contact and generally dogs don't bark much with it on. I hate dogs barking more than anything and I will not keep one I can't break. I have gone to some pretty big extremes and lost my cool at time with them, but generally speaking they learn to shut it, or find somewhere else to live.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-22-2017 06:21 PM:

Seems like some like em and some don't main part to me is worrying about them not barking at a coon but from what I have read for the most part the dogs aren't affected by it when they are hunting

Posted by mjd on 02-23-2017 12:59 AM:

I bought the cheap ones off of dr foster and smith and one sportdog about 7 years ago ,train well i think they are called,they had a sale buy 2 get one free ,i used them for a couple months or so and bought 3 more ,ive never had any problems with them
They beep first ,if the dog keeps barking the shock ,if he keeps barking they shock a little harder ,seems like they go up 3 levels but it could be more i don't remember but it probably tells on the web site,the collars on them are not the best but but can be switched out with dayglo or whatever,ive heard stories of loud noises setting some brands off but ive never had any problems when i mow around the kennels,start the harley,running weedeater,chainsaws etc
They are cheap but like i said ive used them for 7 years no problem
Walmart used to sell them but i don't know if they still do or not

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-23-2017 02:52 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by mjd
I bought the cheap ones off of dr foster and smith and one sportdog about 7 years ago ,train well i think they are called,they had a sale buy 2 get one free ,i used them for a couple months or so and bought 3 more ,ive never had any problems with them
They beep first ,if the dog keeps barking the shock ,if he keeps barking they shock a little harder ,seems like they go up 3 levels but it could be more i don't remember but it probably tells on the web site,the collars on them are not the best but but can be switched out with dayglo or whatever,ive heard stories of loud noises setting some brands off but ive never had any problems when i mow around the kennels,start the harley,running weedeater,chainsaws etc
They are cheap but like i said ive used them for 7 years no problem
Walmart used to sell them but i don't know if they still do or not

I will have to see if I can find one,I'm definately wanting one that will give a warning before it starts shocking.thanks for the info!

Posted by lking on 02-23-2017 08:54 PM:

sportdog

I have the sportdog nobark 10R. Just got it on sale a month ago. Has 3 different settings, one of them progressive as mentioned here. I like it a lot so far. My 5 month old pup began wearing this on and off during the day and it has saved my marriage as this pup simply has a cannon for a voice.

I also have an older Dogtra YS500. Like that a lot as well and never had a problem with it.

If my hounds didn't wear bark collars my wife would have strangled them all by now...

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-23-2017 11:56 PM:

Re: sportdog

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lking
[B]I have the sportdog nobark 10R. Just got it on sale a month ago. Has 3 different settings, one of them progressive as mentioned here. I like it a lot so far. My 5 month old pup began wearing this on and off during the day and it has saved my marriage as this pup simply has a cannon for a voice.

I also have an older Dogtra YS500. Like that a lot as well and never had a problem with it.

If my hounds didn't wear bark collars my wife would have strangled them all by now...

Yea I definately hear you on the whole wife strangling dogs thing haha...that's why I'm on the hunt for a collar really

Posted by ruttinbuck on 02-24-2017 12:50 AM:

10r

When using the 10r make sure you keep the rubber on off button towards the head. My dogs scratched the rubber out of 2 of them and they don't sell them.