UKC Forums
Show all 21 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Zimecterin GoldŽ Equine Control Parasiticide (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=346347)

Posted by barryg35 on 04-06-2010 02:41 AM:

Zimecterin GoldŽ Equine Control Parasiticide

someone reccomended this to me to worm hounds, they have been using it for years. anyone else used this? its got 1.55% ivermec in it.

Posted by oklared on 04-06-2010 03:27 AM:

WILL GET TAPES BUT BE CAREFULL NOT TO GIVE TO BIG A DOSE.

Posted by burdette on 04-06-2010 03:29 AM:

USE IT ALL THE TIME ON DOGS 12 WEEKS AND UP!!!!

Posted by barryg35 on 04-06-2010 03:29 AM:

i was told aamount about the size of a pencil eraser.

Posted by barryg35 on 04-06-2010 03:30 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by burdette
USE IT ALL THE TIME ON DOGS 12 WEEKS AND UP!!!!
do you use anything else with it? its a lot cheaper than ivermec and panacur. was told that this would eliminate the need for two different meds

Posted by oklared on 04-06-2010 05:18 AM:

It is not cheaper than Panacure, just get Safe Gaurd horse wormer the ingredents will say Fenzabisdol or something like that(spelled wrong) Fenz. is another name for Panacure , get it at Tractor supply or farm supply.

Posted by Randy Tallon on 04-06-2010 11:49 AM:

I don't think Safeguard has Ivermec in it..

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Posted by barryg35 on 04-07-2010 02:30 PM:

Thanks!

Posted by Blackout on 04-07-2010 03:02 PM:

atguard works pretty well

wes seaborne
rough springs black and tans
horse cave ky
grch"pr"rough springs blackout scout
grch"pr"rough springs blackout rage
grch"pr"rough springs sheps lil dixie
grch"prdeep hollows hi plains drifter
"pr"rough springs blackout rogue

if your not first ur last

Posted by Larry Atherton on 04-07-2010 04:03 PM:

Dosage is very important. The dosage is way above (100 times more)than typical dosages prescribed for dogs. Yes, you may not have any problems, but it can cause chronic problems 8-10 years down the line for the kidneys and/or liver.

Just think about the recommended dosage of using Ivomec. It is 1/10 CC for every 10 pounds. A 50 pound hound uses 5/10 CC or 1/2 CC of Ivomec. Now stop and think just how many doses you get out of a bottle of Ivomec at 50 ml. A ml is equal to a CC. For a 50 pound hound that would mean you get 100 doses. That figures to a cost of $00.75/dose. That is pretty darn cheap and it is much much more safe than using the horse ivermectin paste.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Josh Farnsworth on 04-07-2010 04:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
Dosage is very important. The dosage is way above (100 times more)than typical dosages prescribed for dogs. Yes, you may not have any problems, but it can cause chronic problems 8-10 years down the line for the kidneys and/or liver.

Just think about the recommended dosage of using Ivomec. It is 1/10 CC for every 10 pounds. A 50 pound hound uses 5/10 CC or 1/2 CC of Ivomec. Now stop and think just how many doses you get out of a bottle of Ivomec at 50 ml. A ml is equal to a CC. For a 50 pound hound that would mean you get 100 doses. That figures to a cost of $00.75/dose. That is pretty darn cheap and it is much much more safe than using the horse ivermectin paste.

All correct info, however, ivermectin doesn't kill tapes. The Zimectrin GOLD does. It must be the GOLD though. Typically, I use Ivermectin on a monthly basis. Once a quarter, I give Gold instead of the regular Ivermectin. It works great. My hounds stay healthy.

Posted by barryg35 on 04-07-2010 06:40 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Farnsworth
All correct info, however, ivermectin doesn't kill tapes. The Zimectrin GOLD does. It must be the GOLD though. Typically, I use Ivermectin on a monthly basis. Once a quarter, I give Gold instead of the regular Ivermectin. It works great. My hounds stay healthy.
good info. thanks guys. i have both i may try doing what josh suggested.

Posted by EerieEyes on 04-07-2010 06:47 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton

I was told to use a dosage of 1/10cc per every 10lbs when it comes to the zimectrin... how is that a different dosage? My dogs get like, a pea-sized dab... do you think I'm still doing chronic damage?

I'm serious - I won't risk my ladies' health if it's not safe, but I was under the impression that it's the same active ingredient, and the same dosing.

GRCH FCH CA CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage
2010 & 2015 World Qualified

GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz

'PR' Midnight Brindle Bombshell

GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (May 2004 - March 2014)

Posted by barryg35 on 04-07-2010 06:51 PM:

thats what i was told pea size/ pencil eraser size. i'm the same way i aint gone put them in danger. that why i was thinking of using one good wormer instead of 2 or 3 differnt kinds.

Posted by davebutler on 04-07-2010 07:58 PM:

ivermectin dosage for dogs

Couple of points to clear up here if I can. Originally the question was asked about ivermectin gold I believe.. That is supposed to go one step further than just ivermectin, in horses anyway. Ivermectin gold is supposed to get tapes also. I have used ivermectin for horses in my hounds since the late 80's. I used it on a rat terrier and he lived till the ripe old age of 19 before I put him down. I got ahold of over a years worth of a vet newsletters way back when I started using ivermectin in my dogs. They had several articles discussing horse ivermectin use in dogs. The dosage they recommended was one notch (100lbs in a horse) for 65lbs. in a dog. Overdosage was discussed many times too, with no concerns of harm to the dog. They basically said it was a safe and easy way to worm dogs. I once accidentally gave a whole tube to a struggling hound and she didn't even get sick. I thought I had just killed her! Collie's were the only breed they recommended not to use it on. I have started using ivermectin gold and rotate it in about once a year with regular ivermectin given monthly. My dogs are all in excellent condition.

Posted by Steve Gilland on 04-07-2010 08:34 PM:

TRACTOR SUPPLY ZIMECTRIN GOLD I WOULDN'T USE ANYTHING ELSE. ALL YOU NEED IS A PEA SIZE ON YOUR FINGER AND JUST WIPE IT ON THERE TOUGUE AND THERE GOOD FOR THE MONTH.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 04-08-2010 12:36 AM:

Dave,

How much education do you have in toxicology? Yes, you can get lucky and not hurt a dog. The thing is it may not hurt 99 out of 100, but are you willing to bet that once in a life time dog is one out of 100 that it will affect.

There is a reason that all medicines have a recommended dose.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Larry Atherton on 04-08-2010 12:41 AM:

I must have hit submit twice.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Mike Donaldson on 04-08-2010 03:37 AM:

Barry,
Read the link posted below. It will answer many of your questions.
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...=zimectrin+gold

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Posted by barryg35 on 04-08-2010 11:47 AM:

thank you.

Posted by Larry Atherton on 04-08-2010 03:29 PM:

OK this will be my last post on this topic, but it should give you something to think about.

Florida: Legal Drugs Kill More Than Illegal
MIAMI -- From Scarface to Miami Vice, Florida's drug problem has been portrayed as the story of a single narcotic: cocaine. But for Floridians, prescription drugs are increasingly a far more lethal habit. An analysis of autopsies in 2007 released this week by the Florida Medical Examiners Commission found that the rate of deaths caused by prescription drugs was three times the rate of deaths caused by all illicit drugs combined.

The dose makes the poison. The thing to remember is not every individual requires the same dose to cause dire affects. This is true of dogs too!

Aim small miss small