UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Redbones (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=51)
-- Wood Shavings Vs. Hay or Straw (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928295890)

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-20-2013 02:40 PM:

Wood Shavings Vs. Hay or Straw

This cold weather you want to keep your red ex. warm , i put course pine wood chips, you can get at tractor suply & an ex. amount so she can keep warm in her inslated dog house
\ YES INSOLATED / With 2 burlap flaps hanging inside & 2 hangin from outside
i pick up two front ones on warmer nt"s
28 * or above // i use wood chips they R warmer than hay or straw & dont mat down
as fast as h. or s. & lose there insolating
value-i wouldent want to b out in some of these so called dog houses that i have seen dogs in over night with little or nothing in them with no flaps on the BIG door way
or in a -COLD PLASTIC BARREL - in these winter months , you have to rember these dogs depend on us to keep them warm they r tied there they dont have a choice to go to find warmer place to stay ,we want them to hunt for us & make us happy so in return we kkeep them WARM = 4=$ 6.50 A BAIL

===Redcoat===

Posted by timber hunter on 01-20-2013 06:57 PM:

Hey Ron

I like straw because the dogs can put it around them. Right now I am using a heating pad and straw with my puppies!!

Posted by vthunter26 on 01-21-2013 11:19 AM:

i put lots of hay in there house before i go to bed evrynight an the burrow them selfs right in it but when the temp is under 10 i put em in the garage for the night

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-21-2013 01:40 PM:

Timber Hunter = thats the corect way with that heater (((under the floor))) 4pups & mom =i say there is 2 things going here
# 1 =you dont c insolation co. making insolation out of straw or hay but you see
wood in it=or paper made from wood???
# 2=when dogs dig in S. or H. it breaks down fast & they breath that dust, & the hollows of the stalks carry the product to give the dogs ear mites

---Redcoat---

Posted by REDBONE POWER on 01-21-2013 02:33 PM:

DELUXE HOUSE

Took a 8x10 shead and cut two dog doors and make insolated walls and a breese way...the top lifts up for cleaning. they use the breezeway to lay down and look out..with a dogie door from home depot....2" foam insolation and a plastic vapor barrier ...then when it gets to cold in the 20es the are in the celler at 55 deg...spoiled rotten...but they are my best friends..how is happy to see you when you come home.tails wagging,barking,,,

CH PR STONE & REDCOAT DBL MOON KATE II.. DNA..DOB 10/01/09 1st place Win 350+/0- / 6/7/14 1st place win 125+/0- (DUAL GRAND CH PR MOONLIGHT DEANA & DUAL GRAND CH PR MOONLIGHT BIG TIME BO)

GR-CH PR STONE REDCOAT FIDDLE ON THE MOON (GIRL) DOB 4/29/12 from Jake & Kate II --DNA 4ch win's
GR-CH PR STONE YELLOW RIVER CHEROKEE DAN DOB 4/29/2012 from Jake & Kate II -DNA- 5ch win's
CH PR STONE'S REDCOAT FOUR X KATE WIN'S 2-CLASS-BREED-SHOW'S 3/15/14- 3/29/14 +25pt+25PT=total 120pt ...6/7/14 -1 CH WIN

http://www.ctcoonclub.com/

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-21-2013 03:27 PM:

WOW = Redbone Power -You sure do treet your pals the corect way those walls & top have lots of foam samwetched between that plywood , now that is very smart way to keep them warm in the winter & cool in the summer months / i have the same idea with my insolated dog house with -LOTS OF WOOD CHIPS SLOPED UP THE WALLS & CORNERS WITH NEST IN THE MIDDLE
==I have an indoor out door themomoter
i think i will place the sensor in my females dog house half way down the wall just to c what the temp will b on the single digit nights coming up this week
Timber Hunter- post a pic of that ex. nice
dog shed, House, u built for your reds
--Thanks--

---Redcoat---

Posted by OLD TIMER on 01-22-2013 12:55 AM:

Mr. Ron -----

IF I may "differ" with you on the PLASTIC BARRELS, I have found them to be very good at keeping my hounds warm up here. They work just like all those calf huts you will see on dairy farms around the country. They are air tight, water proof and when I fill them half full of wild hay (no hollow stems for fleas and mites) the hound will make their nest and be good and warm. We had a low of -14 with wind chills last night of -43. Tonight the temp is to be lower but the wind has gone down. The lowest temps I have lived though was 1977 when we had 2 weeks of -30/40's and wind chills of -60's, all hounds did just find, takes a little more loving care with warm feed and more of it.

You may get by with flaps on "some" houses, but be very careful that you get them to air tight because you will end up with frost on the top and sides and that will turn into water and the bedding will get really wet, I know frist hand, I lost a very good hound back in the 50's because of doing this very thing. I have never but a flap on any house after that.

I do agree with your comment on what "some" think a hound should live in!!! I turned a guy in back in the 70's that had his hounds tied up in the dead of winter with no house's at all to get into. Fed them dead chickens, they never got water, they had to eat snow or lick ice. He's dead now and I always figured he had a lot of talking to do with "The Teacher" on why he took care of his hounds like that??

Posted by oklared on 01-22-2013 02:04 AM:

Re: Mr. Ron -----

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
IF I may "differ" with you on the PLASTIC BARRELS, I have found them to be very good at keeping my hounds warm up here. They work just like all those calf huts you will see on dairy farms around the country. They are air tight, water proof and when I fill them half full of wild hay (no hollow stems for fleas and mites) the hound will make their nest and be good and warm. We had a low of -14 with wind chills last night of -43. Tonight the temp is to be lower but the wind has gone down. The lowest temps I have lived though was 1977 when we had 2 weeks of -30/40's and wind chills of -60's, all hounds did just find, takes a little more loving care with warm feed and more of it.

You may get by with flaps on "some" houses, but be very careful that you get them to air tight because you will end up with frost on the top and sides and that will turn into water and the bedding will get really wet, I know frist hand, I lost a very good hound back in the 50's because of doing this very thing. I have never but a flap on any house after that.

I do agree with your comment on what "some" think a hound should live in!!! I turned a guy in back in the 70's that had his hounds tied up in the dead of winter with no house's at all to get into. Fed them dead chickens, they never got water, they had to eat snow or lick ice. He's dead now and I always figured he had a lot of talking to do with "The Teacher" on why he took care of his hounds like that??

DAVE I USE BURLAP FOR FLAPS, HOLDS HEAT IN BUT STILL BREATHS, THEY WORK REAL WELL

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by OLD TIMER on 01-22-2013 11:33 AM:

Don---

That's what I had too, but mine didn't. If I would have had a vent it may have helped. But having been to a lot of hunters places and looking at hounds and Beagles, you don't see many vents on dog houses. I think a house like Ron has or the picture above you can get by, but for most, you will have good heat inside and cold on the outside which will cause frost to build and when the sun hits it during the day, it melts and you end up with wet bedding. A farmer who ever had a grain bin and has had their grain be to "warm" knows what happens to the outside grain against the wall of their bin-----about 2 to 6 inches of pure "crap" becasue of the cold. All because of the moisture the two different temps will cause.

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-22-2013 02:34 PM:

MR -Old Timer- First off i am not going to get in a pissing contest with u or any else
on a COLD PLASTIC BARROL 4 A DOG HOUSE
I know a lot of guys use them, first of all they r cheap to make, & thats y most guys use them, i would bet that if u had to sleep over night in one of them, or an insolated box, you would cry uncle first, summer time they r great, winter you can stuff all the hay you want in there & u realy cant beleve that a 1/4
inch of plastic wont let that 5* temp in to that 65 lb. dog to fight off that cold, now this dosent take a lot of comon sence to figure that out, i would bet there r a lot of dogs that freze to death or get frost bite, that is hapining as we speek, & Don i also put burlap on my door in & out & it breaths fine
& as far as those plastic houses 4 the cafs they weigh about 250lb. compared to a 65 lb. dog a big heat dif. // Treat your hunting buddy the way you would liketo b treeted
==IN THIS COLD WEATHER==

---Redcoat---

Posted by oklared on 01-22-2013 03:24 PM:

I DO USE THE BARRELS BUT IM IN OKLA, I THINK OUR COLDEST NT. SO FAR HAS BEEN ABOUT 15 SO THATS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN WHAT YOU ALL ARE TALKING. I DO KNOW THAT WITH GOOD PRARIE HAY, GUNNA SACK OVER FRONT IVE NEVER HAD FROST INSIDE THE BARRELS. IF I HAD THE KIND OF TEMPS YOU ALL DO I WOULD POSSIBLY DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Posted by OLD TIMER on 01-22-2013 03:36 PM:

Really---

250 pound day old calf? I also don't want to pee in your Corn Flakes, but "if" you take the square inch space of a calf hut and the per pound of body weight compared to that of the barrel and the hound, I would say you have less space to warm up for the hound.

I suppose I could bring them all inside and have them lay by the fireplace, but having grown up on a farm, and seeing that if I give them an air tight house, a dry bed and extra feed with warm milk replacer to be sure they get extra water this time of year----they do just fine. I just got back in from giving them some extrea feed and they all came out and wanted to go hunting. It's -18 without the wind chill, but it didn't seem to matter to them.

I agree, IF you don't have any bedding in the barrel, IF it is facing North, you would than have a COLD BARREL.

Maybe we should really be more worried about the "humans" that didn't have a bed or meal last night, more than how our hounds slept??

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-22-2013 07:13 PM:

Well - i put a thermometer in my females house half way down the wall at 11:00 am it was 14* out with a 20 mi. p.hr. wind i kept her out for 20 min. then got a reading it said
54* with (( her not in there )) so with her body heat at nt. it must be a lot wormer

As far as those people walking the streets that r cold i would hope they have a brain enough to go in a store or warm place
dont forget they dont have a collar on ther neck & chained to a --plastic barell --

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-23-2013 10:11 PM:

=== C O L D == C O L D ===

=== 0* === T O N I G H T===

=== DONT FORGET TO
===KEEP RED EX. WORM
=== T H A N K S

---Redcoat---

Posted by REDBONE POWER on 01-24-2013 01:26 PM:

Smile RON

RON ...YOU SHOULD BE OUR NEW WEATHER FORCASTER...
YOU ARE RIGHT....AT 2:30 AM IT WAS 2* ABOVE 0 ..AT 6:00 AM IT READ 0* COLD... COLD...

CH PR STONE & REDCOAT DBL MOON KATE II.. DNA..DOB 10/01/09 1st place Win 350+/0- / 6/7/14 1st place win 125+/0- (DUAL GRAND CH PR MOONLIGHT DEANA & DUAL GRAND CH PR MOONLIGHT BIG TIME BO)

GR-CH PR STONE REDCOAT FIDDLE ON THE MOON (GIRL) DOB 4/29/12 from Jake & Kate II --DNA 4ch win's
GR-CH PR STONE YELLOW RIVER CHEROKEE DAN DOB 4/29/2012 from Jake & Kate II -DNA- 5ch win's
CH PR STONE'S REDCOAT FOUR X KATE WIN'S 2-CLASS-BREED-SHOW'S 3/15/14- 3/29/14 +25pt+25PT=total 120pt ...6/7/14 -1 CH WIN

http://www.ctcoonclub.com/

Posted by vthunter26 on 01-24-2013 02:41 PM:

cold

-10 here this mornin windchill is real bad dogs are happy layin by the wood stove

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-24-2013 06:58 PM:

Vthunter= sure glad u know how to keep your dogs warm =but if too warm & then have to go out in the day with these winds today its like below 0* that could be bad on ther lungs, to big of a change / E.M. me who your dogs R out of -Thanks

Redbone Power =What else i have to do
but look out window all day, & think of i dont have to go to work,& wait for
the mail man to bring my social s. check-ha

---Redcoat---

Posted by vthunter26 on 01-24-2013 09:14 PM:

ron

PM box full

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-25-2013 12:06 AM:

VT hunter 26 = i cant get p.m."s
E. M. me

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-27-2013 12:40 AM:

KEEP THEM WARM=THER ARE R FRENDS

---Redcoat---

Posted by vthunter26 on 01-27-2013 11:15 AM:

mr wolter

i have a year ol grade dog male who is comin along good an i have a eight month ol registered bitch that goes back to dennis moreno dogs he is from fonda NY i will be getting some better blood in my yard once i have alll the bugs worked outta these pups

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-27-2013 02:16 PM:

Ramblin Redbones= yes i know Dennis M.
in ny he has some nice reds matter of fact i bred my Dinah-Might yr"s back to his male, what"s that 10mo. old f. doing=?? & waht she look like-??

---Redcoat---

Posted by vthunter26 on 01-27-2013 02:50 PM:

she is runnin a drag good an trees it pretty well she is a very pretty girl ill have to figure out how to put pictures on her so you can see her. im gunna hunt the hair off her this summer an get a kill season under her than might put her into a hunt. her grandpa is grch pr blakesleys mohawk valy red vern an her grandma is ch pr blakesleys mohawk valy ruby II on the sires side.

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-27-2013 04:27 PM:

That Ruby he has is a nice red.

---Redcoat---

Posted by RON WOLTER on 01-27-2013 04:47 PM:

Mighty Oaks Leps= Wow u sure know how to treat your dogs- i only used 2-x- 4 with one inch of foam you sure did a beyond with your 2-x- 6
& foam board plus a heater in your building,
but i think you have colder weather than us,
Glad to see you care that much for your hounds

---Redcoat---