UKC Forums Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »
Show all 53 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- clover dogs? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=201914)

Posted by ridgerunner88 on 03-23-2009 02:18 AM:

Years ago, most coon hunters wouldn't even start to train a hound before 1 year old. I've heard that clover bred hounds are on average a little slower to start, but every dog is different. I'm not sure what you're expecting from a 10 month old pup.

Posted by Brian Osborne on 03-23-2009 01:14 PM:

Sandman,

Was that Joker females Dam Hayrakes Stylish Molly?

Thanks!

Posted by larry ross on 03-23-2009 03:58 PM:

ALL OF MY DOGS ARE THE LONE PINE BOZO WITH CLOVER ALSO THAT IS WHAT CLOVER IS OUT OF. JOE NEWLIN DESCRIBED THESE DOGS JUST AS I SEE THEM.

NT.CH.PKC CH.CRAZY DAISY
CH. GR.NT.CH. PKC CH. HARDWOOD CRAZY GABE (AT STUD)
GRCH. NTCH JAMMIN CHAMP
NT.CH HARDWOOD CRAZY KALIGA 2ND PLACE WIN AND 9TH AT 2011 WALKER DAYS. 8TH 2012 SETWA MEMORIAL HUNT 10TH 2012 WALKER DAYS 1ST SHOALS RQE 2013
GR.NT.CH. JONES CRAZY COACH
NT.CH. CRAZY TRAIN (AT STUD)
CRAZY OLE BLACK BETTY 2ND &6TH&1ST PLACE WIN
CH.GRNT. SAILES SUGAR CREEK CASSY AGAIN- ALL GRAND
NTCH.SWAMPHOLLOW TIC
RIP GR.NT.CH. PKC CH HARDWOOD CRAZY NICK

Posted by Oak Ridge on 03-23-2009 04:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Osborne
Sandman,

Was that Joker females Dam Hayrakes Stylish Molly?

Thanks!

Brian,

They bought the Peg dog off me, she was out of a heavy Finley River bred female....

She died while hunting not long after he posted that post....

What ever happened to the females out of that cross? I know where one of the males is, been trying to get him bought for two years...and Kelly ain't sellin!

That male made NT CH with three first places in a week, and has only been to one hunt since then, and got a win to Grand that night. I keep hoping that Kelly will come up with something he likes better....but he's not budging on Ace yet...

Posted by Big Bawler on 03-23-2009 04:49 PM:

i got my butt handed to me last night by a lone pine female.
ive hunted with several lone pine hounds and everyone has ALMOST made me switch breeds....lol
if i was to switch to walkers, it would be a lonepine or nightheat bred dog.
good luck to you guys with these hounds...they're very nice.

brad

NITECH SILVERTONE REBEL YELL (never forgotten 1/3/10)
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHOOTER
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHIFTER
if it aint broke, fix it till it is...

Posted by Randy Tallon on 03-23-2009 05:06 PM:

Big Bawler - Check in behind a few of those Night Heat dogs...........LONE PINE!!!!!

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Posted by coop81 on 03-23-2009 06:16 PM:

10 month old pups

when should i expected these pups to get hook up, I cant get rid of them cause my wife loves them, she has always hated my hounds for the last eight years, both of these pups have good personallity

Posted by Chris.S on 03-23-2009 07:45 PM:

My experience with Clover dogs dates back to around 93/94. I've hunted with more directly out of Whitey than I could could on all fingers and toes. Here is what my years of breeding and hunting them has taught me.

The good - Accurate, independent loners, good track dogs, cold noses but unless you know what you're doing you may not be able to tell, better than average mouths, not trashy, not mean but not cowards, good hunting dogs, very smart but at times think too much.

The bad - not the best strike dogs sometimes very tight, some are jealous to a fault, some won't gamble at all and would rather not tree than tree wrong, can be sorry tree dogs especially in hot weather, can be tough to start if you expect them to pack up with other dogs.

Posted by Cheyenne on 03-23-2009 07:55 PM:

Chris S. head the nail on the head. They are loners and some will tree nice while others won't tree good until they have been treed awhile! Most have huge bawl mouths and bawl & chop on tree! They do start alittle later but then come on twice as quick! The ones I have been around won't take a scolding very good either! They seem to want to please!!!

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Posted by Brian Osborne on 03-23-2009 09:22 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
Brian,

They bought the Peg dog off me, she was out of a heavy Finley River bred female....

She died while hunting not long after he posted that post....

What ever happened to the females out of that cross? I know where one of the males is, been trying to get him bought for two years...and Kelly ain't sellin!

That male made NT CH with three first places in a week, and has only been to one hunt since then, and got a win to Grand that night. I keep hoping that Kelly will come up with something he likes better....but he's not budging on Ace yet...

Joe,

There was only 3 females from the Joker/Molly cross.

I thought this female was one of them. I have confirmed with the UKC that one of these 3 goes by Hardwoods Stylish Molly Bee, located in Hazlehurst, Georgia and was bred to Wipeout Zeb Again last year and had 8 pups.

Female number 2 is owned by an Amish gentleman, Daniel Shetler. Her name is Jonathon Creek Echo, located in Sugar Creek, Ohio. This guy knows what a coondog is. His family owned the Great Shetlers Sonny Boy. I tried to buy her back on a couple of occasions but haven't had any luck yet.

Female number 3 is still owned by my nephew and she's still not for sale.

I've really been thinking about making this cross again. It seemed to really work the first time.

Posted by Oak Ridge on 03-23-2009 09:26 PM:

Joker isn't getting any younger!

This time, I want a female pup!

Posted by Steffan Kichta on 04-04-2009 03:40 AM:

Chris S. your description tells it exactly like it is.

Although I have yet to see any "jealous to a fault". But I believe you have.

Posted by MikeO on 04-04-2009 06:40 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ridgerunner88
I have a clover female about 5 1/2 months old. See is very shy and stand offish. I've had her 1 month yesterday and she still does not trust me. She's getting a little better but it's slow going. Is this a common trait with this line or is she just unusually shy and spooky.

yes the shyness is common, plus tree jealousy from what i have seen. but every line has faults it just depends on what a guy will put up with.

And the pup 'pr' Owen's Rock River Ace...

Mike Owen owner/handler. hunting in style (WALKER STYLE)

Posted by Jamie S on 07-02-2009 10:47 PM:

Re: I have a ? for you clover guys

quote:
Originally posted by coop81
I have raised two clover pups they are 10 months old now, they treed the house cat @ 10 weeks old, I got realy pump. At night they go hunting realy good but they pay no attenion to the old dog they both go and run there own track but they never get hook up my pations are running out. I have turn several Cage coon loose and they will tree it if they can SEE IT,but not by scent just confuse cause they both can run track good.ANY SUGGESTION PLEASE

At 10 months there's still alot of puppy left in em.... Are you sure they are running tracks and not just out there barking and playing? You can try using drags to get them working off scent... with a coon in a roll cage tied to a tree limb at the end of the line ... start doing this from 40-50 yard intervals making sure you tap the tree with the drag then drag the trail backwards so they are on a "hot" trail. Especially for a younger dog I find this helps. If they make marked improvement increase the distance in drags and slowly start doing this at night after they have it down and dragging the drag from where they start or "cold" trail to the tree where it will be "hot" again make sure to tap the tree with the drag and have the cage coon in the tree. Also it's good to change up locations so they don't develope a pattern. I have a 3 MO English pup started on this right now... they can learn at any age you just have to find out what makes those pups of yours tick Good Luck.

Posted by on 07-03-2009 01:10 AM:

About the only thing I haven't liked about the Clover bred dogs I have hunted with is their mouth. They generally don't seem to have the best mouths.

Posted by thebigcat454545 on 07-03-2009 04:37 AM:

"Is this a common trait with this line or is she just unusually shy and spooky."

Not sure if it's a common trait but my Clover bred female is very shy and stand offish until i start to put on my hunting gear.
Real nice stay put tree dog, independent, just enough mouth on the track, steady chop on tree, quick strike dog avg. track speed....i agree with another poster that they don't like to be wrong. I also agree that there not the prettiest hounds i've seen. but do a great job in the woods. she was also a slow starter... at 12 months she finally treed....and shadow on a fence post...she was barking scared, we were starting to wonder about her, then all of the sudden she took off running and treeing her own coon and never looked back, it's like it happened over night.

937-407-0128

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein~

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well. ~Josh Billings~

Posted by jackbob42 on 07-03-2009 04:43 AM:

I've got 2 clover bred females.
The jury is still out on their hunting abilities yet , they're still young.
But , I got to tell ya........
They've got the nastiest kennel manners that I've ever seen. They poop all over the place. Then walk in it and track it all over. They sling it all over when they get to playing. It's NASTY !
Their hunting abilities better kick in quick as soon as training season opens !

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Posted by on 07-03-2009 04:58 AM:

Some Clover traits are ugly (black & white, and /or ticked up), mouths vary (some got more than enough, some have just enough, some not quite enough), independent (some to a fault), and good about having a coon in the tree.

Everything else could come from something else in the pedigree. Slow starting, bad kennel manners, skiddish??? I've never seen any of that in the Clover dogs I've been around... just the opposite. Most can run and tree before they are a year old, most have excellent dispositions overall and are calm in the kennel.

Posted by burdette on 07-03-2009 01:20 PM:

im not a walker man but the clover bred are the best looking walkers by far. there are alot of nice ones in my area that have won big in the hunys.

Posted by dilla on 07-03-2009 03:41 PM:

there is a double clover bred dog down here (oz x wild clover ) cant stand his mouth, (bawl all the way) ,hes as ugly as they come but if you wanna look at a coon on a consistant basis, drop him....dont think he wont get deep either........and he will be lonesome at least once a night and have the coon regardless of the company. ooh yeah, he has a little ver 3200.00 won and has never been to a large hunt they were all 25 dollar hunts

Posted by ohiothunder on 07-03-2009 05:35 PM:

Clover Dogs

I have hunted with countless clover and whitey bred dogs in competition hunts and alot of people swear by them. But let me tell you out of the several that i hunted with they all carried the same traits.. quick to open and a 2nd 3rd or 4th tree dog. I can count on 1 hand how many times i have seen them split. But i will say that i have pleasure hunted with many clover bred hounds and most of them looked pretty good by themselves and were exceptionally accurate.

Posted by trackdownknls on 07-15-2009 07:18 PM:

Sounds like to me most Clover dogs were designed to be meat & hide dogs. Instead of competition dogs but hey there sure good at that too.

Posted by lraines on 07-16-2009 09:19 PM:

OHIOTHUNDER

Ohoiothunder I do not know what Clover dogs you have hunted with but the ones I have hunted with and the ones I own are far from a 3rd, 4th tree dog I have a pup right now that is 11 months old out of Gatorade has made 13 trees in 3 night hunts and I have yet to take a second tree unless I wanted too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH by the way he has scored 1575 plus points in those 3 hunts and he has his 1st place win.

Posted by Tim Gump on 07-16-2009 10:12 PM:

ohiothunder
any time you want to go hunting with a clover dog
just call me . He wont be getting last tree thats for sure.

Posted by jackbob42 on 07-17-2009 03:05 AM:

All you guys that like these Clover dogs can come and get this one female I've got. She's got Little Man on both sides. Hitman pup.
Couldn't get her to the woods much last fall as I was passing kidney stones. Then we got hit with a ton of snow in December. Now that quiet season is over , she's come into heat. I guess her and I just wasn't meant to be. LOL
I've got a younger one I'm going to put my time into.

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.