UKC Forums Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Show all 252 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Finley River Chief History (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=264724)

Posted by Ray Walburn on 04-15-2009 03:18 PM:

history

I have learned more on your web site & talking with Robert Starke about these walker dogs . Sometimes I get my crosses mixed up but it all works out.
I do belive some people think that the strain they are hunting today has fallen from the heavens or just from the guy down the road . There sre alot of traits that are still there .Example my female (Trackman) I thought she was great about learning how to shake hands and the way she kicks her head at you . I thought I taught her at 3-4 months . W.P.Jackson another (Trackman) pup came along guess what he already new how .Its in their blood to be friendly

I forgive people but that doesn't mean I accept their behavior or trust them I forgive them 4 me, so I can let go and move on with my life

"The best revenge is massive success." #FrankSinatra

People who are INTIMIDATED by you talk bad about you with hopes that others wont find you as appealing!

You have Enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

Posted by HistoryNutt on 04-16-2009 05:28 AM:

Reddogg, I am glad the website has been of help to you. That was the purpose on putting it up so people would have a resource to help with the history of the breed. I still have a lot of work to do on it but to know people are finding it useful makes it worth all the work that has to go into it.

http://www.finleyriverchief.com

Sites I like to visit that have a lot of information:

A Lot Of Old Pictures And Ads

http://finleyriverchief.forumotion.net

Register On The Above Forum To See A Lot More Old Pictures And Ads.
There are more that you can't access unless registered.

Posted by THOMAS WILBERS on 04-16-2009 02:28 PM:

DON ! THANK'S FOR PUTTING THE INFO ON TRAP UNDER SPECIAL FEMALES OF THE BREED . SHE WAS A GOOD ONE AND A GREAT REPRODUCER ! THANK'S TOM

Posted by Ray Walburn on 04-16-2009 03:33 PM:

yes sir

Some people just dont want to belive what they here about there dogs lol lol

I forgive people but that doesn't mean I accept their behavior or trust them I forgive them 4 me, so I can let go and move on with my life

People who are INTIMIDATED by you talk bad about you with hopes that others wont find you as appealing!

You have Enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

Posted by Robert Starke on 04-17-2009 11:18 AM:

Spring Creek Rock-FR Dan and Dan Jr. crosses

Those crosses worked well. Share with us some of your experiences breeding and raising some very nice Walkers.

Good Hunting,
Robert

Gr. Ch. Nt. Ch. Wild Bill's Lill 21.05% reproduction record
Starke's Finley River Little Lill
Dual Gr. Ch. Wild Bill's Queen UKC RQE 112 winner 725+ 2006 UKC World Hunt qualifier
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Rattler 2
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sadie
Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch.TrackMan's Stone Cold HTX 2009 UKC World Hunt qualifier 2009 UKC World Hunt Zone 5 Hunt 14th place 2011 UKC World Hunt qualifier
Dual Ch. PKC Ch.Track Man's Mad Dash 2007 PKC SS qualifier 2008 UKC World Hunt qualifier 2011 Ringtail Lodge Coon Club High Scoring Dog of the Year 2011 Ringtail Lodge Coon Club Final Hunt winner 2012 MCHF Youth State Championship 2nd place 2012 Ringtail Lodge Coon Club High Scoring Dog of the Year
Gr. Ch. Finley River Cadillac Jane 2006 PKC Walker Days BOSF 2006 UKC RQE 74 Ch winner 2006 Trackman Invitational Queen of Show 2007 MCHF State Hunt Ch. female winner
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Cozi
Gr Nt Ch Starke's Finley River Super Man HTX 2017 Mid Mo Coonhunters Hunt Series Champion 2018 MCHF Dick Gray Memorial Hunt High Scoring Dog and King of the Hunt 2018 Mid-Mo Coonhunters Hunt Series Champion 2018 MCHF State Final Hunt the only double cast winner Final Four 3rd place winner 2019 BBCHA Sectional Madison, MO Gr Nt Ch/ Nt Ch Cast winner and High Scoring dog 2019 BBOA Richard Casey Tribute Hunt High Scoring Dog 750+ Thursday night and 825+ Friday night 2019 MCHF State Final Hunt Final Four 2nd place winner 2020 UKC World Hunt Qualifier at Marshall, MO March 21st

Dual Gr Ch Wild Bill's April 2016 UKC RQE 97 Ch winner

Gr. Ch. Starke's Finley River Jane 2006 UKC RQE 74 Gr Ch winner
Gr. Ch. Starke's Finley River Sugar 2012 MCHF Dick Gray Summer Classic Ch of Ch winner
Starke's Finley River Jake
Hoghill's Finley River Rip
Hoghill's Finley River Candie

Starke's Finley River Stubbie
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Tuff
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Steel
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Fame

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Jane
Gr Ch Starke's Finley River Ramblin Iron Man
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Bat Man

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Tanna
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Lightning
Starke"s Finley River Ramblin John Henry
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Dan
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sister
Starke's Finley River Diamond
Starke's Finley River General Robert E Lee

Starke's Finley River Stormy
Clark's Finley River Spot PKC cast / money winner
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sage

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Paige

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Lou HTX passed times 1 Littermate of
PKC Gold Ch Gr Nt Ch Snitch, mother of Batman

Gr Ch. Starke's Finley River Ramblin Emma HTX
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sugar Boy
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Randi
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Little Emma

Gr.Ch. Starke's Table Rock Jewell 2007 RQE 5 BOSF winner 2007 MCHF State Hunt BOSF winner 2009 RQE 28 Best of Show female winner 2009 MCHF State Hunt Ch of Ch Female winner 2010 MCHF State Hunt Gr Ch winner and Queen of Show 2010 Alan Reinkemeyer Memorial Queen of Show 2011 Gr Ch Louisiana State Championship 2012 NE Missouri Black & Tan Sectional Gr. Ch. female 2012 MCHF Spring Classic Gr Ch female 2012 UKC RQE 87 Gr Ch winner 2012 NE Missouri Treeing Walker Sectional Gr Ch winner 2012 MCHF Dick Gray Summer Classic Gr. Ch. winner 2012 Lee Crawford Invitational qualifier 2012 Purina Nationals qualifier 2012 UKC Current Top 10 2012 MCHF Missouri State Show Dog of the Year

Gr Ch Little Walnut Queen Bathsheba 2011 SWTWA BFOS and Queen of Show 2011 MCHA State Hunt BFOS 2011 Oklahoma Federation State Hunt and Show BFOS 2012 MCHF State Hunt Ch Female and Queen of Show 2012 Oklahoma Federation State Hunt and Show Ch. Female 2012 Purina Nationals qualifier 2013 TWB&F Walker Days Gr. Ch. female and Queen of Show 2013 Kentucky State Championship Gr. Ch. female and Opposite Sex winner 2013 Purina Nationals qualifier 2013 ACHA World Hunt and Show BFOS 2014 Purina Nationals qualifier 2014 Lee Crawford Invitaional qualifier
Gr Ch Little Walnut Zipporah

Gr Ch A & B Preacher 2012 Saluda Days King of Show 2013 MCHF State Hunt Ch. winner and King of Show 2013 MO Governor's Cup State Hunt Ch. winner and King of Show 2014 RQE #11 Gr. Ch. winner 2014 Purina Nationals qualifier 2014 SWTWA Gr. Ch. winner 2014 Lee Crawford Invitational qualifier 2014 Kansas State Championship Gr. Ch. winner both days 2014 UKC's Top 10 List 2014 Purina's Bench Show Top Ten List 2014 MCHF Summer Classic Gr. Ch. winner both days 2014 MCHF Summer Classic King of Show 2014 MCHF State Hunt and Show GR. Ch. Winner Friday 2014 MCHF Missouri State Show Dog of the Year 2015 Purina Nationals qualifier 2015 Kansas State Championship Friday Gr Ch winner 2016 Purina Nationals qualifier

Gr Ch Table Rock Reverend Mundo Hawk 2010 MCHF State Hunt Best Male of Show 2011 MCHF Spring Classic Gr. Ch. male and King of Show 2011 UKC RQE 88 Gr Ch male 2012 UKC RQE 87 Gr Ch male 2012 NE Missouri Treeing Walker Sectional Gr. Ch. male and King Of Show 2012 MCHF Dick Gray Summer Classic Gr. Ch. male 2012 Lee Crawford Invitational qualifier

"Fast is Good. Accuracy is Everything." Wyatt Earp

Posted by HistoryNutt on 04-20-2009 07:14 PM:

Re: Spring Creek Rock-FR Dan and Dan Jr. crosses

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Starke
Those crosses worked well. Share with us some of your experiences breeding and raising some very nice Walkers.

Good Hunting,
Robert

Robert, I will try to get something up in the next few days.

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION FINLEY RIVER HATCHET

GRAND CHAMPION NITE CHAMPION SPRING CREEK MAX

Posted by Ray Walburn on 04-20-2009 10:28 PM:

btt

btt

Posted by HistoryNutt on 04-21-2009 04:26 AM:

FINLEY RIVER TRAP

quote:
Originally posted by THOMAS WILBERS
DON ! THANK'S FOR PUTTING THE INFO ON TRAP UNDER SPECIAL FEMALES OF THE BREED . SHE WAS A GOOD ONE AND A GREAT REPRODUCER ! THANK'S TOM

Your welcome Tom. I am proud to have a female like Trap in my pups pedigree. I have always been of the belief in the importance of the female in any good breeding program.

http://finleyriverchief.forumotion....r-trap-t843.htm

Posted by Robert Starke on 04-21-2009 01:12 PM:

Trap

I raised her mother and her sire from pups. They were nice. Trap was treeing cats when she was a little pup. I walked down to the woods to get her off the tree several days. Boy, I was proud of that pup. She was a natural. I sold her to Tom. He did a fine job with her.

Gr. Ch. Nt. Ch. Wild Bill's Lill 21.05% reproduction record
Starke's Finley River Little Lill
Dual Gr. Ch. Wild Bill's Queen UKC RQE 112 winner 725+ 2006 UKC World Hunt qualifier
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Rattler 2
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sadie
Gr.Ch.Nt.Ch.TrackMan's Stone Cold HTX 2009 UKC World Hunt qualifier 2009 UKC World Hunt Zone 5 Hunt 14th place 2011 UKC World Hunt qualifier
Dual Ch. PKC Ch.Track Man's Mad Dash 2007 PKC SS qualifier 2008 UKC World Hunt qualifier 2011 Ringtail Lodge Coon Club High Scoring Dog of the Year 2011 Ringtail Lodge Coon Club Final Hunt winner 2012 MCHF Youth State Championship 2nd place 2012 Ringtail Lodge Coon Club High Scoring Dog of the Year
Gr. Ch. Finley River Cadillac Jane 2006 PKC Walker Days BOSF 2006 UKC RQE 74 Ch winner 2006 Trackman Invitational Queen of Show 2007 MCHF State Hunt Ch. female winner
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Cozi
Gr Nt Ch Starke's Finley River Super Man HTX 2017 Mid Mo Coonhunters Hunt Series Champion 2018 MCHF Dick Gray Memorial Hunt High Scoring Dog and King of the Hunt 2018 Mid-Mo Coonhunters Hunt Series Champion 2018 MCHF State Final Hunt the only double cast winner Final Four 3rd place winner 2019 BBCHA Sectional Madison, MO Gr Nt Ch/ Nt Ch Cast winner and High Scoring dog 2019 BBOA Richard Casey Tribute Hunt High Scoring Dog 750+ Thursday night and 825+ Friday night 2019 MCHF State Final Hunt Final Four 2nd place winner 2020 UKC World Hunt Qualifier at Marshall, MO March 21st

Dual Gr Ch Wild Bill's April 2016 UKC RQE 97 Ch winner

Gr. Ch. Starke's Finley River Jane 2006 UKC RQE 74 Gr Ch winner
Gr. Ch. Starke's Finley River Sugar 2012 MCHF Dick Gray Summer Classic Ch of Ch winner
Starke's Finley River Jake
Hoghill's Finley River Rip
Hoghill's Finley River Candie

Starke's Finley River Stubbie
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Tuff
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Steel
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Fame

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Jane
Gr Ch Starke's Finley River Ramblin Iron Man
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Bat Man

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Tanna
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Lightning
Starke"s Finley River Ramblin John Henry
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Dan
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sister
Starke's Finley River Diamond
Starke's Finley River General Robert E Lee

Starke's Finley River Stormy
Clark's Finley River Spot PKC cast / money winner
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sage

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Paige

Starke's Finley River Ramblin Lou HTX passed times 1 Littermate of
PKC Gold Ch Gr Nt Ch Snitch, mother of Batman

Gr Ch. Starke's Finley River Ramblin Emma HTX
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Sugar Boy
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Randi
Starke's Finley River Ramblin Little Emma

Gr.Ch. Starke's Table Rock Jewell 2007 RQE 5 BOSF winner 2007 MCHF State Hunt BOSF winner 2009 RQE 28 Best of Show female winner 2009 MCHF State Hunt Ch of Ch Female winner 2010 MCHF State Hunt Gr Ch winner and Queen of Show 2010 Alan Reinkemeyer Memorial Queen of Show 2011 Gr Ch Louisiana State Championship 2012 NE Missouri Black & Tan Sectional Gr. Ch. female 2012 MCHF Spring Classic Gr Ch female 2012 UKC RQE 87 Gr Ch winner 2012 NE Missouri Treeing Walker Sectional Gr Ch winner 2012 MCHF Dick Gray Summer Classic Gr. Ch. winner 2012 Lee Crawford Invitational qualifier 2012 Purina Nationals qualifier 2012 UKC Current Top 10 2012 MCHF Missouri State Show Dog of the Year

Gr Ch Little Walnut Queen Bathsheba 2011 SWTWA BFOS and Queen of Show 2011 MCHA State Hunt BFOS 2011 Oklahoma Federation State Hunt and Show BFOS 2012 MCHF State Hunt Ch Female and Queen of Show 2012 Oklahoma Federation State Hunt and Show Ch. Female 2012 Purina Nationals qualifier 2013 TWB&F Walker Days Gr. Ch. female and Queen of Show 2013 Kentucky State Championship Gr. Ch. female and Opposite Sex winner 2013 Purina Nationals qualifier 2013 ACHA World Hunt and Show BFOS 2014 Purina Nationals qualifier 2014 Lee Crawford Invitaional qualifier
Gr Ch Little Walnut Zipporah

Gr Ch A & B Preacher 2012 Saluda Days King of Show 2013 MCHF State Hunt Ch. winner and King of Show 2013 MO Governor's Cup State Hunt Ch. winner and King of Show 2014 RQE #11 Gr. Ch. winner 2014 Purina Nationals qualifier 2014 SWTWA Gr. Ch. winner 2014 Lee Crawford Invitational qualifier 2014 Kansas State Championship Gr. Ch. winner both days 2014 UKC's Top 10 List 2014 Purina's Bench Show Top Ten List 2014 MCHF Summer Classic Gr. Ch. winner both days 2014 MCHF Summer Classic King of Show 2014 MCHF State Hunt and Show GR. Ch. Winner Friday 2014 MCHF Missouri State Show Dog of the Year 2015 Purina Nationals qualifier 2015 Kansas State Championship Friday Gr Ch winner 2016 Purina Nationals qualifier

Gr Ch Table Rock Reverend Mundo Hawk 2010 MCHF State Hunt Best Male of Show 2011 MCHF Spring Classic Gr. Ch. male and King of Show 2011 UKC RQE 88 Gr Ch male 2012 UKC RQE 87 Gr Ch male 2012 NE Missouri Treeing Walker Sectional Gr. Ch. male and King Of Show 2012 MCHF Dick Gray Summer Classic Gr. Ch. male 2012 Lee Crawford Invitational qualifier

"Fast is Good. Accuracy is Everything." Wyatt Earp

Posted by trappin_girl on 04-21-2009 02:04 PM:

pretty much all my dogs have finley river chief... i dont have the papers on me because i am at school. but hopefully soon i can get some papers up... 6 gen.... i might have to email them to ya though HistoryNutt

home phone:304-462-7054
Cell phone:304-613-9740
dixie_coonhunter_911@yahoo.com

PR Tristan's JR (Tristans Dog)

PR Grampa's Miss Ruby (Ruby's Dog)

Posted by HistoryNutt on 04-23-2009 10:31 PM:

Re: Spring Creek Rock-FR Dan and Dan Jr. crosses

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Starke

Good Hunting,
Robert

In my mind Finley River Chief was and is the greatest producer in the Treeing Walker Breed. There are a lot of things involved for me to make that statement. But with some time and effort I believe people would be surprised as to how much Finley River Chief touches the different so called strains.

Chief wasn't an accident. His father and mother were two of the best hounds of their day. I have seen people say Chief was the only thing one or both of them produced as far as making a name. That wasn't really the case. Both hounds produced many fine hounds. But when they came together history was made.

They were coondogs that were out of coondogs that could tree a rough coon and had a very cold nose. They weren't accidents.

If you take Finley River Chief, Shetler's Sonny Boy and Bixler's Supreme Sally and research you will find that this line touchs more lines then you may realize. It doesn't just have to be through Chief for the name of Sonny Boy or Sally to show up.

I have heard people say the only thing Sally produced was Finley River Chief so it must have been a lucky roll of the dice. People who make statements like that haven't done their homework on the history of this breed.

Now to the crossing of some of these hounds. I and a lot of other people hold this belief. Mear's Finley River Dan was the best reproducing son of Finley River Chief. Spring Creek Rock was the best reproducing Grand Son of Finley River Chief. Monroe's Finley River Joe was the type of hound a lot of people thought about when they thought about the good traits of the Finley River Hounds.

I found in my experience when you crossed the offspring of Finley River Dan, Spring Creek Rock, and Finley River Joe that you would get coonhounds that looked pretty good also.

I also felt like Spring Creek Radar was one of the best reproducing sons of Rock. Take Radar for example. He was out of Spring Creek Rock, but on his mother's side he also went back to Mear's Finley River Dan and Claxton's Finley River Spot.

One of the best crosses in its day was the cross of McCallister's Finley River Banjo and Kalal's Minnesota Cookie. Banjo was one of the hot studs of his day. His father Mear's Finley River Sonny was out of Mear's Finley River Dan and a female who was a grand daughter of Finley River Chief.

When people talked about what Cookie was out of you always heard Finley River Dan Jr. You hardly ever heard someone mention the other dogs in her pedigree. But Cookie's mother was out of Flat Branch Joker and Roger's Missouri Valley Joy.

Joker was a brother to Monroe's Little Chief and Godwin's Jolly. They were out of Finley River Chief and Godwin's Little Jewel who was out of Banjo II.

Joy was a sister to Ky River Jill, Finley River Joe's mother. Jly and Jill were out of Finley River Buck who was a grandson of Finley River Chief.

Over and over again if you follow these dogs back far enough you will see how much Finley River Chief or his line was a part of some of these so called other strains.

The cross that produced Spring Creek Max, Spring Creek Rocky and others was a combination of this line of Finley River Bred Hounds. My Finisher Bit female was out of my Cher female and Gann's Finisher. Of course Finisher was out of Finley River Chief. Don't anyone think that Gann's Finisher wasn't a coon dog. He could and would tree a rough coon and in my mind he would tree a rougher coon then Beanblossom Buck.

I bred Bit to my Patch dog who was out of Monroe's Finley River Joe and my Patches female. We are talking Finley River here but I did have quite a bit of Mack Twain in my hounds. That was a hound a lot of people don't know about in this day but he did a lot to help with the foundation of the breed. He should be in the Hall Of Fame as shoud his grand pup, Hershberger's Texas Babe.

Patch and Bit produced my Polly female who I bred to Finley River Dan to get my Pearl female. I was lucky enough to get Pearl bred to Spring Creek Rock before he died. She was the last female bred to him before he died.

After being out of the sport so long I felt very lucky to find dogs that went back to my old dogs and Max was actually in the 4th generation plus in the pedigree a couple more times. They did a great job of continuing to breed these hounds the same way I was attempting to breed them. Spring Creek Rock going through a number of different hounds as was Finley River Dan and Finley River Joe.

They can still tree a rough coon, you don't get a lot of misses and they are coon dogs. The pup I have now goes back to Finley River Chief over 60 times. I am still working on carrying it out all the way.

There are still some people out there who have a high concentration of the Finley River Strain. It is in more hounds then many may realize.

Here is something for people to think about. I am not trying to take away from these other strains but facts are facts.

Table Rock Flying Hawk's grand mother is a half sister to Finley River Chief being out of Bixler's Supreme Sally.

Yadkin River Jeff goes back to Shetler's Sonny Boy on his top side through Tut's Tillie. On Jeff's bottom side he goes back to Shetler's Sonny Boy again through Tillie and also Jeff's Grandsire is out of a daughter of Finley River Chief.

Bear Creek Princess goes back to Chief on her mothers side with Chief being the grandsire of her mother. Bear Creek Princess father was Proters Melody Bill. Bill's father Buck Creek Rowdy was out of Finley River Chief's littermate sister.

Yadkin Tar Rattler not only goes back to Chief and Sonny Boy on his top side through Yadkin River Jeff but also on Rattler's bottom side he goes back to Sonny Boy also through Swan's Rock.

Nocturnal Nailor not only goes back to Chief and Sonny Boy through Rattler he goes back to Spring Creek Rock on his mother's side.

Rock River Sackett goes back to Chief and Sonny Boy through Yadkin River Jeff on both sides but also picks up Chief again through River Bend Flag on Sackett's bottom side and through Finley River Spike on Sackett's top side.

Rock River Sackett Jr. you get the times back to Chief and Sonny Boy through Sackett but also on Junior's mothers side he goes back to Chief three times through Can Win Jude and 3 more times through Spring Creek Rock, Gann's Finisher and Finley RIver Buck. I haven't even carried this out all the way yet.

I will put more down at a later time but wanted to put down a few of the hounds that go back to Finley River Chief or his line that people may not realize.

FINLEY RIVER MAGIC

Posted by Ray Walburn on 04-24-2009 01:46 AM:

All I know is

I sure would like to meet you and talk all this over .I am simply over whelmed with all of the history . I have wore my brain out . You are truly a great asset to the Walker breed !!

Posted by Travis Stirek on 04-24-2009 02:58 AM:

Big Horn Sounder was another direct son of Dan.

Nt Ch Southern Sound Jimbo
Gr Nt Ch Ch Southern Sound Matlock
Gr Nt Ch Strawberry Mt Korn
Pr Strawberry Mt Sadie
The reason I hunt this bloodlines is a quote an old friend gave me,"Your either making dust or your eating it."

Posted by HistoryNutt on 04-25-2009 07:30 PM:

Reddogg

Reddogg,
Thank you for the nice comments. Maybe someday we will meet. It has been a while but I use to get back to that part of the country ever once in a while.

I truly feel it is so important to get this information out where people can use it if they wish. The more people know about the history and understands it. the better job they will do on producing nice hounds.

Posted by Lee Currens Jr. on 04-25-2009 08:30 PM:

ntch.gr.ch.Kentucky River Bullet

NT. Mcafees Buck
GR NT CH.CH Gold Creek Mundo
MCAFEES DEBBIE LOU
GR.NT CH. GR CH. KY RIVER ROCK
NT CH MONROES FINLEY RIVER JOE
CH KY TIMBER JILL
CH BANJO FANNY

BULLET

NT CH CH SPRING CREEK ROCK
GR NT. GR CH SPRING CREEK RADAR
STINSONS ANGEL
CH KY RIVER BILLE JOE
NT CH KAW RIVER CHIEF
STINSONS KATE
ROCK CREEK LOU

BULLET WAS A DUAL CH AT 14 MTHS

ROWDY WAS AT 18 MTHS

Posted by lesterm on 04-26-2009 03:43 PM:

Finley River Chief

Boy, what a blast from the past. Brings back pleasant memories. The 1st real coondog I ever owned I got from my uncle in southern Indiana. He was about 7 when I got him in 1976, I think. He was out of Harrod'[s Kentucky River Jack and his dam was out of Deep River Spot. Old man Harrod owned him for awhile and then he passed through a couple of hands before my Uncle got him. He was grossly mistreated along the way as he was somewhat man shy. Took him a long time to make up with a new owner. But he was a coondog. I watched him trail cold tracks that other dogs didn't open on and in some cases didn't even try to trail with him. He was a bawl mouth tree dog so he wasn't going to win any treeing contests. But he wouldn't leave.
He was a funny old hound. I thought the world of that dog. Followed him all over Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois. I was young and lived on afarm so I let him run loose except during coon season. He would go off and tree a coon by himself sometimes. The old dog's name was Kentucky River Diamond when old man Harrod owned him. My Uncle changed it to Diamond Jack. He looked a lot like old Chief. I could tell stories on him all day. Sadly, someone stole him when he was around 9 years old or he got off and got killed. Either way, he disappeard. I have a lot of respect for Finley River dogs and they are in almost all pedigrees. I hear hunters run the bloodline in the dirt and all the while I am thinking, truth be known, Finley River blood is in hounds they are hunting. Ha Ha

Posted by Lee Currens Jr. on 04-26-2009 04:15 PM:

GR NT CH GR CH KY RIVER BUSTER

NT CH WLD CH SPRING CREEK CB
GR NT CH SPRING ROCK
WILLOW SLOUGH KATE
GR NT SPRING CREEK RADAR
NT CH FINLEY RIVER BILL
STINSONS ANGEL
MISSIOURIROSES HAPPY

BUSTER
GR NT CH MEARS FINLEY RIVER DAN
WRLD CHGR NT CH HERNS RED EAGLE DICK
GR NT CH GR CH HERNS CROWDING CINDY
GILDERS MISSY
GR CH WORLD CH GOLD CREEK MUNDO
NT CH JONESPAW PAW CREEK SADIE
CHARLEY CREEK PATCHES

Posted by HistoryNutt on 04-26-2009 04:15 PM:

Re: Finley River Chief

quote:
Originally posted by lesterm
Boy, what a blast from the past. Brings back pleasant memories. The 1st real coondog I ever owned I got from my uncle in southern Indiana. He was about 7 when I got him in 1976, I think. He was out of Harrod'[s Kentucky River Jack and his dam was out of Deep River Spot. Old man Harrod owned him for awhile and then he passed through a couple of hands before my Uncle got him. He was grossly mistreated along the way as he was somewhat man shy. Took him a long time to make up with a new owner. But he was a coondog. I watched him trail cold tracks that other dogs didn't open on and in some cases didn't even try to trail with him. He was a bawl mouth tree dog so he wasn't going to win any treeing contests. But he wouldn't leave.
He was a funny old hound. I thought the world of that dog. Followed him all over Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois. I was young and lived on afarm so I let him run loose except during coon season. He would go off and tree a coon by himself sometimes. The old dog's name was Kentucky River Diamond when old man Harrod owned him. My Uncle changed it to Diamond Jack. He looked a lot like old Chief. I could tell stories on him all day. Sadly, someone stole him when he was around 9 years old or he got off and got killed. Either way, he disappeard. I have a lot of respect for Finley River dogs and they are in almost all pedigrees. I hear hunters run the bloodline in the dirt and all the while I am thinking, truth be known, Finley River blood is in hounds they are hunting. Ha Ha

Thanks for the post. If you happen to have a picture of the dog your uncle had I would like to get a copy of it. My email is

mysticmoondog@gmail.com

CHAMPION GRAND NITE CHAMPION HARROD'S KY RIVER JACK

Posted by HistoryNutt on 04-30-2009 04:09 AM:

FINLEY RIVER BILL (Heavy Finley River Chief Bred)

WILLIAM'S FINLEY RIVER BILL (Very Heavy Finley River Chief Bred)

GRAND NITE CHAMPION BIG HILL BINGO

NITE CHAMPION GEORGIA BOY DEKE

Posted by HistoryNutt on 05-02-2009 06:06 AM:

FINLEY RIVER HATCHET - FINLEY RIVER LUCKY LITTERMATES

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION FINLEY RIVER HATCHET

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION FINLEY RIVER HATCHET PEDIGREE

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION FINLEY RIVER LUCKY (Littermate to Dual Grand Champion Finley River Hatchet)

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION FINLEY RIVER BANJO

NITE CH. KALAL'S MINNESOTA COOKIE

A lot of times the Stud is the dog that gets most of the credit when a dog or litter turns out great. The female is forgotten. Here is a case where a female helped make a stud dog one of the most popular in his day. Kalal's Minnesota Cookie was bred to Dual Grand Ch. Finley River Banjo a number of times.

From this cross came many wonderful coonhounds and Dual Grand Champions such as Dual UKC Grand Champion ACHA Night Champion Dual NKC Grand Champion 4th Place 1982 NKC World Championship Finley River Hatchet, Dual Grand Champion Finley River Lucky, Dual Champion Kalal's Minnesota Jodie and many more.

Cookie is one of the females that helped make this great Treeing Walker Breed.

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION FINLEY RIVER BANJO shortly before he was killed.

Posted by C.Gibson on 05-02-2009 07:41 AM:

Thank you for the history lesson. The best 2 dogs I ever owned were litter mates brother & sister. The were doubble bred finley river banjo on there fathers side and doubble bred Houses tom tom on there moms side. I owned the mother she was a litter mate to Houses Lipper. The female pup was gray. No body around here had seen one before. The owner of the father said he had never seen one before but had heard of them. Bud was a big time breeder in the day and is the reason there some darn good walkers in these parts. I was 19 and took a nightshift job. I would give anything to have those dogs back. These pups trained there selfs. My male won his first bench show at 3 months old and treed his first coon at 5 months old with no help. My female treed her first coon at 7 months old. Turbo struck first with her right behind him. As the track went on I noticed they weren't together. When turbo treed with a coon. She was over the next ridge with a coon of her own. By the time these pups were 1 year old it was just to hard to hunt them together. 9 out of 10 drops they would split tree. I started swapping them out every night. One night I would hunt Turbo the next night I would hunt Joy. I sold both these dogs in 1994 to a man from Georga for $300.00. Man was I young and dumb. Thank you again for the history lesson. It brought back some great times.

Posted by HistoryNutt on 05-02-2009 04:41 PM:

BUFFALO RIVER TANNER - FINLEY RIVER SMOKY

GRAND NITE CHAMPION BUFFALO RIVER TANNER

FINLEY RIVER SMOKY

Posted by HistoryNutt on 05-03-2009 06:09 AM:

SYCAMORE SLICK

GRAND NITE CHAMPION SYCAMORE SLICK

Posted by HistoryNutt on 05-03-2009 08:34 PM:

MACKEY'S SPIKE Offered By Tim Ball

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION MACKEY'S SPIKE

Posted by HistoryNutt on 06-18-2009 09:47 PM:

Arnold's Sport A Son Of Finley River Chief

Grand Champion Nite Ch. Arnold's Sport

I-79 BOW A Son Of Sport

GRAND NITE CHAMPION I-79 BOW

CHAMPION GRAND NITE CHAMPION STOUT MILLS STORMY