UKC Forums
Show all 21 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- What?? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928547794)

Posted by elvis on 09-24-2022 03:47 PM:

What??

Are they making up the hunt format as they go? How did they end up with 4 dogs?

Posted by Ricochet17 on 09-24-2022 03:51 PM:

Right with you. 5/6 cast winners 2nd round. Final 4 set. ?

Posted by wart on 09-24-2022 03:58 PM:

Hunt

Ukc makes 2 dogs go back out when they have extra numbers for final cast in this case 2 dogs were drawn from the remaining 5 to hunt off for final cast to make 4

Posted by Ricochet17 on 09-24-2022 04:11 PM:

What 2 dogs then. Score?

Posted by elvis on 09-24-2022 04:15 PM:

Re: Hunt

quote:
Originally posted by wart
Ukc makes 2 dogs go back out when they have extra numbers for final cast in this case 2 dogs were drawn from the remaining 5 to hunt off for final cast to make 4
that’s not the way it was explained before the hunt

Posted by Rockyford on 09-24-2022 04:32 PM:

Re: Hunt

quote:
Originally posted by wart

If that’s how they did it, than they should of said that before draw out. Would make a difference on how a guy calls his dog at the end of the hunt if he has to be top 4 or advance on cast win like was stated.

Posted by T Felderman on 09-24-2022 04:58 PM:

I’m sure that dead cast threw a wrench in their format. Thus they had to go to a final four.

As far as posting results………….

Posted by jay brademeyer on 09-24-2022 05:02 PM:

You reckon they threw all 5 names in a hat and drew two names ?

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Posted by B Thompson on 09-24-2022 05:19 PM:

Ukc format leaves 7 dogs fighting for final 4. First 3 high scoring dogs advance to the finals. Low. Scoring 4 dogs go back out for the 4th spot. With all the dead cast it only left 2 dogs. I'd guess the low two went head to head for final placement

Posted by wart on 09-24-2022 05:22 PM:

My post was made to keep this discussion open until we found out from ukc what they actually did so far it's working keep them coming guys

Posted by Team Mafia 2 on 09-24-2022 05:29 PM:

When they finished the early round cast last night they had a meeting with the COON HUNTERS involved and let them figure out what they wanted to do. They decided that they were gambling men and drew cards for spots in the finals. The odd 2 out went hunting. The way I see it is that if you ever get in that position you should decided to do what’s fair for everyone.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Posted by wart on 09-24-2022 05:34 PM:

Hunt

Thank you team mafia that's what I heard they drew for the 2 dogs to hunt it off

Posted by JB Cobb on 09-24-2022 05:42 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
So many Key board warriors that love to start negativity. When they finished the early round cast last night they had a meeting with the COON HUNTERS involved and let them figure out what they wanted to do. They decided that they were gambling men and drew cards for spots in the finals. The odd 2 out went hunting. The way I see it is that if you ever get in that position you should decided to do what’s fair for everyone.

Well to be fair there was no mention of this anywhere.. the question had been asked for a while with no explanation.. so there was nothing left to do but speculate 🤨

Posted by JohnnyRingo20 on 09-24-2022 06:17 PM:

Now that comment is funny. Lol

Posted by TylerOSU on 09-24-2022 06:49 PM:

Drawing cards

So this is what happened last night. Allen came and got the 5 cast winners. He sat us down to discuss options. The 3 and 2 dog cast was obviously what everyone expected to happen. BUT coon treeing has been rougher later here and what if one of those casts were dead? Then they crowned a champion last night while everyone was in bed, no publicity or camera crew. So ANONYMOUSLY agreed to draw cards and the 2 odd men out would hunt it off for 4th. Reason we didn’t do it off score is because how was that fair to anybody that just wanted to “advance”. Strategy would have been hugely different in my cast for sure. Therefor we all decided to do that and someone had to be odd man out. We drew in score order with Roller and I being the last 2 to draw. It was a bad format and we all agreed but with so much being spent on publicity we had to do something for the better sake of us and UKC.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Posted by houndsound on 09-24-2022 09:11 PM:

While UKC has better rules over-all, and is run a bit more professionally than PKC.... This idea that you must have plus points to advance will always leave for oddities and irregularities in formats for these bigger hunts. Sounds like in the given situation they made a good decision... but they should be able to have a format that doesn't leave em' shaking a magic 8 ball to determine outcomes for such a major event.

Posted by Allen / UKC on 09-26-2022 07:45 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
While UKC has better rules over-all, and is run a bit more professionally than PKC.... This idea that you must have plus points to advance will always leave for oddities and irregularities in formats for these bigger hunts. Sounds like in the given situation they made a good decision... but they should be able to have a format that doesn't leave em' shaking a magic 8 ball to determine outcomes for such a major event.

Agreed 100%. And we will have a format, starting next year, that will be geared to not put us in a pickle, like could have very easily happened this year.

All involved agreed that would not be what anyone wanted and that we take the opportunity to make a change to avoid that potentially happening while we could vs wishing we did after it was too late the next day. It was a unanimous decision by all directly involved, and looking back, everyone involved is still happy the decision was made. Otherwise, the World Hunt was nearly as perfect as it could be. Most houndsmen would have enjoyed the heck out of being there, hunting or not. It was a good time for sure.

I can only imagine what the conversation would be had the championship ended on Friday night late.

Posted by ClayBottom11 on 09-26-2022 09:39 PM:

Not every cast that went out came back dead. The conditions are/were equal for everybody.. I think when you have the top 5 dogs in the world, you shouldn’t be worried about whether or not they can tree a coon in 2 hours. I’m not taking anything away from the dogs/handlers in the hunt but why wasn’t the late round card drawing posted? Send the two casts out and if one of them can’t get plus on the card then crown your champion. At least then you wouldn’t have all the fuss about what happened. I wasn’t there so my opinion isn’t much but I don’t think the top 5 dogs to make it that far should have to resort to a “chance” drawing in order to make the finals. This comment might be deleted just like Elvis’s was but I send money to UKC just like everybody else so I reckon I get a say too. The format of 5 dogs in the late round was clearly discussed before the draw and stated a 2 and 3 dog cast would go out. The integrity of the hunt would’ve been kept that way. Whats to say the next hunt won’t be a draw down because what if there’s a dead cast? You have the possibility of a dead cast every time you draw and send one out.

That being said, congratulations to Tyler and Jenna on a great performance and. World Championship.. very impressive run!

Posted by Ricochet17 on 09-26-2022 11:18 PM:

Clay bottom 11 well said.

Posted by shadinc on 09-27-2022 12:32 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
Well to be fair there was no mention of this anywhere.. the question had been asked for a while with no explanation.. so there was nothing left to do but speculate 🤨
Or wait.

Posted by houndsound on 09-27-2022 12:44 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Agreed 100%. And we will have a format, starting next year, that will be geared to not put us in a pickle, like could have very easily happened this year.

All involved agreed that would not be what anyone wanted and that we take the opportunity to make a change to avoid that potentially happening while we could vs wishing we did after it was too late the next day. It was a unanimous decision by all directly involved, and looking back, everyone involved is still happy the decision was made. Otherwise, the World Hunt was nearly as perfect as it could be. Most houndsmen would have enjoyed the heck out of being there, hunting or not. It was a good time for sure.

I can only imagine what the conversation would be had the championship ended on Friday night late.

For sure... you did a great job in that circumstance... and it appears like the organization is learning from mistakes and continuing to improve. That's all anyone can ask. Overall most decisions by UKC have been good ones that I respect.