UKC Forums
Show all 22 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Training tips (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928525869)

Posted by AKE on 01-03-2020 07:50 PM:

Training tips

Got a pup didn't mess with until almost a year old. Have taken him out a few times goes with older dogs and will track but can't get him to tree really. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas to get him tree. I've turned him loose on a hot coon by himself and he went in tracking about 150 then came back to me so I went to where he stopped on Garmin and a coon was up the tree. Just can't seem to get in tree.

Posted by Clovis A Nailor on 01-03-2020 07:55 PM:

Keep hunting him one day that light switch will come on.

Posted by pamjohnson on 01-05-2020 02:17 PM:

Re: Training tips

quote:
Originally posted by AKE
Got a pup didn't mess with until almost a year old. Have taken him out a few times goes with older dogs and will track but can't get him to tree really. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas to get him tree. I've turned him loose on a hot coon by himself and he went in tracking about 150 then came back to me so I went to where he stopped on Garmin and a coon was up the tree. Just can't seem to get in tree.
I'm going to be blunt. The pup did his part but you weren't at the tree to do your part. Training a pup won't happen with a lazy bone attitude.

Posted by blacksc1 on 01-05-2020 04:37 PM:

Are you implying that we as trainers should beat the dog to the tree?

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 01-05-2020 06:09 PM:

Re: Re: Training tips

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I'm going to be blunt. The pup did his part but you weren't at the tree to do your part. Training a pup won't happen with a lazy bone attitude.

lol, wow.......

Posted by pamjohnson on 01-05-2020 06:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by blacksc1
Are you implying that we as trainers should beat the dog to the tree?
na just sit on the tailgate and wait . LOL as ya can tell it's working

Posted by Preacher Tom on 01-05-2020 06:48 PM:

quote:

Honest question: What was he supposed to do?

Posted by yadkintar on 01-05-2020 07:17 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Training tips

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Honest question: What was he supposed to do?

Turn loose coons and such I have mine treeing coons of a morning where I can see what they are doing way before I take them at night.

Tar

Posted by houndsound on 01-05-2020 07:53 PM:

quote:

What about his description of the situation made him sound lazy?

Posted by shadinc on 01-05-2020 08:39 PM:

Did you bring him back to tree to see how he reacted? Tried to encourage him to tree? I think that's what Pam was implying.

Posted by AKE on 01-05-2020 10:31 PM:

I followed dog was only about 50 yards behind him. No locate no bark on track. Leashed him pulled him up on the tree but never barked. I've turned loose a couple coons he does the same thing. That is why it stated help getting a dog to tree.

Posted by breezyoaks on 01-05-2020 10:37 PM:

Treed

Better send the pup to Pam.
Will give the dog a blunt training session 😄

Patrick Barrett

Posted by yadkintar on 01-05-2020 11:12 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by AKE
I followed dog was only about 50 yards behind him. No locate no bark on track. Leashed him pulled him up on the tree but never barked. I've turned loose a couple coons he does the same thing. That is why it stated help getting a dog to tree.

In the day time where he can see them leave accross an open field with timber on the other side. Let him get reved up when the coon gets almost to the timber cut him loose he will catch some and he will eventually tree some he is just a baby ................. keep trying till you get results.

Hope this helps.

Tar

Posted by DL NH on 01-05-2020 11:29 PM:

I'd ad something else to what Tar said. Soak the coon down with water before you let him go. Leaves more scent on the tree when he goes up.

Posted by pamjohnson on 01-06-2020 12:25 AM:

Blunt means in this case the short of things. I don't write fast and there is so many scenarios. The lazy means unless you have 1 of the most exceptional pups around ya have to work ta get it trained. No disrespect ment.
Be at the tree when it gets there and encourage the pup to stay and maybe open up. Stay is more important than the bark. Good luck

Posted by shadinc on 01-06-2020 02:33 AM:

I start them the way Yadkintar described.

Posted by skeets on 01-06-2020 11:50 AM:

hunt him as much as you can stand where theres coons, hunting the hide of a dog helps them mature faster from what ive seen.with all the tree power bred in these hounds now days it shouldnt be to long for your dog goes to treeing.good luck with him.

Posted by ING 194 on 01-06-2020 01:07 PM:

It starts in the yard in my opinion. If he's not barking at one there I wouldn't waste my time taking it to the woods. Some just don't make it.

Posted by CX3 on 01-07-2020 12:41 AM:

Keep turning him loose. If he's got it, he'll do it. Just put him in coon.

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Posted by Scotts1Hounds on 01-07-2020 05:10 AM:

Give him some time, he'll come around. The better dogs will track before they tree.

Posted by Scotts1Hounds on 01-07-2020 05:10 AM:

Give him some time, he'll come around. The better dogs will track before they tree.

Posted by Coby Wright on 01-08-2020 03:40 AM:

I had one like that. He would burn up a track then quit when he got to the tree and come back.

I just kept putting him in the woods then one night it finally clicked that the coons climb trees and he treed a double while hunting alone. Now he's almost three and one of the best track dogs I've ever owned and also one of the most accurate and about a 130 bark a minute tree dog.

Do as yadkintar suggested and also just keep hunting him. He will figure it out. I'm told in the old days very few dogs learned to tree before learning how to trail.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.