UKC Forums
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- All Breeds Classifieds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=42)
-- Whippet (Hunt or Race)... (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928408108)

Posted by Dan McDonough on 02-09-2015 04:34 PM:

Whippet (Hunt or Race)...

I have a race whippet I raised for hunting that is 2 years old and ready to roll on rabbits, hares fox. He's not much for geese and turkeys but will go to them if you send him. He'll snag a squirrel as quick as you please. He loads and leads. He can be worked off of a slip or freecasted. He runs track extremely well and will jump his own game from scent in the air or on the ground. He's house broke and handles well. He doesn't run off but he doesn't just hang around the house either. I am selling him because the winters are just to cold here in Northern WI. for him and I've since gotten into lurchers and stags for coyotes and other game. He is AKC registered and intact, standing 21.5" TTS and around 38#.

$1800
Dan
507-261-9121

Superstition Mtns., AZ
American Leopard Hounds
& Lurchers

Posted by Dan McDonough on 03-30-2015 08:12 PM:

Mikey...

Mikey will catch just about anything. He'll catch stuff that is to big for him also so you'll have to be careful hunting him. He learned how to open the front door this winter and now lets himself in the house. Mikey's smarter then heck and is a very good dog that is house broke, hunts hard and always comes back. He's retrieving game well and is nearly a finished dog.

Superstition Mtns., AZ
American Leopard Hounds
& Lurchers

Posted by Dan McDonough on 04-14-2015 06:51 PM:

I have been working Mikey with a beagle both on slip and loose. Mikey picked up on how to work with the Beagle in about one half hour. Mikey likes working with Boone the Beagle and they are becoming quite the pair. I will sell the pair for $2000.

Boone is a squal mouthed dog that opens medium and is nearly straight on rabbits but will work and flush pheasants and grouse now and then. Boone is close hunting and ranges around 100 yards at most when not on track and he is a busy dog but you can call him in when you want to leave unless he's running a rabbit. Of course all you'll have to do is cut Mikey into the race and it'll be over.

Mikey can trail and wind into rabbits in cover, in the open or mark holes. Mikey can run track all by himself when it's jumped but I find that if I hold him on slip and wait at an opening, he'll catch more working together with Boone.

This is a rare combination and it's likely to not come up again in a normal lifetime but here it is right now. Come and hunt with them and you'll see.

Superstition Mtns., AZ
American Leopard Hounds
& Lurchers

Posted by Dan McDonough on 07-04-2015 01:39 AM:

I've been running Mikey with a Beagle and they are working together really well. I will throw in the beagle if someone is interested. No rabbit is safe with those two on the ground. It's really a pretty good time.

Superstition Mtns., AZ
American Leopard Hounds
& Lurchers

Posted by dpetty on 08-04-2015 07:52 PM:

If you have never hunted a beagle and a Whippet it is something else. I had the opportunity to do so leave the gun at home or hunt spots in areas you cant shoot. I hope they go to a good home Dan. When I was looking for one I could not find a good one too bad I have enough dogs we could have worked something out.

Posted by Dan McDonough on 09-10-2015 04:53 AM:

It is way more fun than gun hunting. I like to shoot but I don't even remember to bring a gun when I take these two out together. I can't believe how easy it is to do with this pair. Most folks have seen a beagle go but most folks have never seen what a whippet can do, especially when a beagle gets the rabbit moving when they're in cover.

Superstition Mtns., AZ
American Leopard Hounds
& Lurchers

Posted by Dan McDonough on 10-07-2015 04:57 AM:

Sold

Sold

Superstition Mtns., AZ
American Leopard Hounds
& Lurchers