UKC Forums Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 126 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Curs and Feists (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- Mr Carl Smiths Mt Curs (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=318348)

Posted by BK81 on 12-13-2009 11:18 PM:

Mr Carl Smiths Mt Curs

Just had a nice long talk with Mr Carl, and one of his dogs just won the night world champion at the WTDA hunt in Ohio.....Anyone on this board use his stock?

Posted by fdm on 12-14-2009 10:45 PM:

there is a few here with those oversize feist from Mr. Smith. You might want to give some thought to the Kemmer line of Mt Cur. The Kemmer dogs are more like the old time Mt Cur than the big feist of Carl Smith.

Posted by mdmorrison on 12-15-2009 03:17 PM:

Naysayer.........

quote:
Originally posted by fdm
there is a few here with those oversize feist from Mr. Smith. You might want to give some thought to the Kemmer line of Mt Cur. The Kemmer dogs are more like the old time Mt Cur than the big feist of Carl Smith.

Keep on with that Petty Jealousy and Kennel Blindness........I'm sure it makes for good conversation around the fish-fry.......LOL!!!

Mark.

Posted by woody40 on 12-15-2009 05:38 PM:

Re: Naysayer.........

quote:
Originally posted by mdmorrison

Keep on with that Petty Jealousy and Kennel Blindness........I'm sure it makes for good conversation around the fish-fry.......LOL!!!

Mark.

Daggone u everywhere,still preaching I see, lol

Posted by mdmorrison on 12-15-2009 10:13 PM:

Re: Re: Naysayer.........

quote:
Originally posted by woody40
Daggone u everywhere,still preaching I see, lol

Yep, think of me as a Missionary, trying to bring the heathens to the foot of the Old Rugged Cross........LOL!!!

Mark.

Posted by Cur Hunter on 12-16-2009 12:07 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by fdm

Some people can't help but prove their an idiot. This one does it constantly.

Posted by Cur Hunter on 12-16-2009 12:15 AM:

Re: Mr Carl Smiths Mt Curs

quote:
Originally posted by BK81
Just had a nice long talk with Mr Carl, and one of his dogs just won the night world champion at the WTDA hunt in Ohio.....Anyone on this board use his stock?

Carl Smith is a nice guy. He has good dogs. He knows his dogs and is a good breeder of them. As for the Feist remarks that is a tale started by others jealous of Carl.

How many well known breeders could have their top 2 stud dogs taken/stolen by jealous thiefs. Then only 2 yrs later be right back on top with even better dogs than those taken?

Robert Kemmer in his day was THE breeder of good dogs. Almost all good dogs and lines can be traced back to Roberts dogs in 1 way or the other.

Posted by BK81 on 12-16-2009 01:49 AM:

Re: Re: Mr Carl Smiths Mt Curs

quote:
Originally posted by Cur Hunter
Carl Smith is a nice guy. He has good dogs. He knows his dogs and is a good breeder of them. As for the Feist remarks that is a tale started by others jealous of Carl.How many well known breeders could have their top 2 stud dogs taken/stolen by jealous thiefs. Then only 2 yrs later be right back on top with even better dogs than those taken?Robert Kemmer in his day was THE breeder of good dogs. Almost all good dogs and lines can be traced back to Roberts dogs in 1 way or the other.
.............Thanks for a HONEST reply.

Posted by huntsmenbob on 12-16-2009 02:59 AM:

Many, many people have dogs with his dogs in their bloodline. His breeding is pretty much a staple and in many of the best dogs out there. You will be hardpressed to find a cur that is doing good in compition that doesn't have at least a little of Mr. Smiths breeding in it. There are 3 lines (not talking about Kemmer cur) that predominantly rise to the top in Mountain Cur pedigrees: Smiths Streak (which is Carl Smith's breeding), Jukebox, and Busher. Most good dogs out there are either breed out of one of those lines or crossed within those 3 lines. The greatest producing out of any of those lines is the Smiths Streak/Hardwood Georgetta cross. It produced many great dogs and the dogs out of that cross are themselves still producing great dogs.

Posted by TOP on 12-16-2009 12:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by huntsmenbob
Many, many people have dogs with his dogs in their bloodline. His breeding is pretty much a staple and in many of the best dogs out there. You will be hardpressed to find a cur that is doing good in compition that doesn't have at least a little of Mr. Smiths breeding in it. There are 3 lines (not talking about Kemmer cur) that predominantly rise to the top in Mountain Cur pedigrees: Smiths Streak (which is Carl Smith's breeding), Jukebox, and Busher. Most good dogs out there are either breed out of one of those lines or crossed within those 3 lines. The greatest producing out of any of those lines is the Smiths Streak/Hardwood Georgetta cross. It produced many great dogs and the dogs out of that cross are themselves still producing great dogs.

I disagree with some of what you say. There is no such animal as a kemmer cur. There is, however, a strain of mtn cur called a kemmer stock mtn cur. It is a member of the OMC family...just like streak, busher, and jukebox.

Nothing wrong with any of the strains of OMCs. They all will hunt. They have a little different look from each other.

Posted by mdmorrison on 12-16-2009 01:41 PM:

A little food for thought........

Carl gave me some good advice/insight a few years back when he said: "It shouldn't be this way, but if folks ain't talkin' bad about you and your dogs, then you're probably not trying hard enough, and your dogs probably ain't worth a darn."

Not always true, by any means, but threads like this always make me think back on that conversation...........

Y'all hunt what makes you happy and don't begrudge anybody else for doing the same!

Mark.

Posted by Cur Hunter on 12-17-2009 04:38 AM:

Re: A little food for thought........

quote:
Carl gave me some good advice/insight a few years back when he said: "It shouldn't be this way, but if folks ain't talkin' bad about you and your dogs, then you're probably not trying hard enough, and your dogs probably ain't worth a darn."

Not always true, by any means, but threads like this always make me think back on that conversation...........

Y'all hunt what makes you happy and don't begrudge anybody else for doing the same!

Mark.

Sad, but true.

I have heard that one from Carl and another well known breeder that is a good friend of Carl's.

Posted by Cur Hunter on 12-17-2009 04:40 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by TOP
I disagree with some of what you say. There is no such animal as a kemmer cur. There is, however, a strain of mtn cur called a kemmer stock mtn cur. It is a member of the OMC family...just like streak, busher, and jukebox.

Nothing wrong with any of the strains of OMCs. They all will hunt. They have a little different look from each other.

Little known fact. Carl had Jukebox at his place for a time when he was younger.

Posted by Cur Hunter on 12-17-2009 04:43 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by huntsmenbob

That was Streak Jr over Hardwood Georgetta. Do you know of any of the other numerous crosses on Streak Jr that made good dogs? Streak Jr wasn't a reproducer, but Hardwood Georgetta was.

Posted by mdmorrison on 12-17-2009 01:46 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Cur Hunter
Little known fact. Carl had Jukebox at his place for a time when he was younger.

Yep, "Brownie" was his name back then.....Later to become "Choctaw Chief" when Deaton owned/hunted him, finally becoming "Jukebox" at the Gaietto's kennel......

Mark.

Posted by Matt Barker on 12-17-2009 04:43 PM:

i used to live close to gary and hunted with him a lot. gary might had kept jukebox at carls some when he was young i dont ever remember that, they were good friends and hunting buddies. but his name was choctaw chief, becasue gary got him from an indian man in tenn. the dog, as far as i know was never owned by carl. gary called him brownie it was just a nickname. then when chuck bought him they called him the jukebox. whatever you want to call him he was a good dog.

Posted by snide on 12-17-2009 06:19 PM:

I envy Carl for the most part, no other breeder in "squirrel dogs" has had a larger impact on the breed as a whole..JMO

Milan IN

Posted by Ray&Luie on 12-17-2009 10:10 PM:

Streak crosses & Kemmer

All these Dogs came from Tree minded, Yard dogs, you might say! but when they found what they liked they kept it and reproduced it. I like the Kemmer For there Size and Grit, I havent really seen any of the Streak crosses that have impressed me other than they start early. a Friend of mine had a pup that came from Mr Bosworths Dogs that was treeing his own game at 5 months and had never been hunted with another Dog or persons untill then. his Dogs are Streak Bread. Good dogs, small and quick,tight on track, from what iv seen .

Ray Hudson

Posted by Cur Hunter on 12-18-2009 01:11 AM:

Re: Streak crosses & Kemmer

quote:
Originally posted by Ray&Luie
All these Dogs came from Tree minded, Yard dogs, you might say! but when they found what they liked they kept it and reproduced it. I like the Kemmer For there Size and Grit, I havent really seen any of the Streak crosses that have impressed me other than they start early. a Friend of mine had a pup that came from Mr Bosworths Dogs that was treeing his own game at 5 months and had never been hunted with another Dog or persons untill then. his Dogs are Streak Bread. Good dogs, small and quick,tight on track, from what iv seen .

I agree if you like what you hunt. No need hunting anything else.

Posted by mdmorrison on 12-18-2009 02:11 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Barker
i used to live close to gary and hunted with him a lot. gary might had kept jukebox at carls some when he was young i dont ever remember that, they were good friends and hunting buddies. but his name was choctaw chief, becasue gary got him from an indian man in tenn. the dog, as far as i know was never owned by carl. gary called him brownie it was just a nickname. then when chuck bought him they called him the jukebox. whatever you want to call him he was a good dog.

Carl never owned the dog as far as I know. Rather, he was apparently dropped off at Carl's for a little hunting/tuning by a local fella. The local fella came back a little while later and retrieved the dog. Next time Carl saw the dog, was when Deaton brought him down here to MS for one of the first OMCBA World Hunts in the Delta in the early 1990's. Deaton evidently presented the dog to Carl as "Choctaw Chief," to which Carl replied something to the effect of: "Well, Gary that might be his name now, but when he was at my place, the fella that owned him then called him 'Brownie'."

That's the story as best I remember Carl telling it to me a couple of years ago.

Mark.

Posted by Cur Hunter on 12-20-2009 03:46 AM:

quote:

Carl never owned the dog as far as I know. Rather, he was apparently dropped off at Carl's for a little hunting/tuning by a local fella. The local fella came back a little while later and retrieved the dog. Next time Carl saw the dog, was when Deaton brought him down here to MS for one of the first OMCBA World Hunts in the Delta in the early 1990's. Deaton evidently presented the dog to Carl as "Choctaw Chief," to which Carl replied something to the effect of: "Well, Gary that might be his name now, but when he was at my place, the fella that owned him then called him 'Brownie'."

That's the story as best I remember Carl telling it to me a couple of years ago.

Mark.

That's the what I was told also.

Posted by JWIL on 01-14-2012 02:02 AM:

Wow, I can't believe the trash talking about such a great breeder. I know for a fact that these Mt. Curs are some top notch dogs, with of course the right cross'. And I bet the one hating Carl is probly one he's beatin at the hunts, and the truth be known he has Mr. Carls blood in his dogs... But any way just be glad to have nice stock and remember if you can't win in a hunt then you need to hunt your dog other then at the hunts. This requires lots of shoe leather as I've heard a few mention on other threads!!!

Posted by daggum on 01-14-2012 03:50 AM:

Re: A little food for thought........

quote:

Mark.

That last statement says it all.

Posted by Reuben on 01-16-2012 12:46 AM:

don't know the man personally but I have seen his name and his dogs in magazines and forums...I wouldn't own one of his dogs because I like the old style mtn cur...

I like a bigger dog for a hog dog...I just wish he liked the bigger style this way I could buy a pup from him now and then...

a few things I will say about the man is he must know how to pick the pups...my experience tells me this is one of the most important areas when breeding dogs...having the ability to pick the pups or even a dog for that matter...not only that but he must have that knack for socializing and training dogs...a good dog man can bring out the best in a dog and to the untrained eye it does not look like training...but it is the little things that makes the difference...

Posted by trackdownknls on 01-16-2012 02:18 PM:

What line is flat natural hunters, accurate, and puts the meat on the table? Also are naturally trash free?