UKC Forums
Show all 23 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- july ,running and treeing walkers (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=399252)

Posted by branchvillekell on 01-13-2011 08:25 PM:

july ,running and treeing walkers

just the way they are??? what is the difference. just wondering.
kell

Posted by EnglishBabe on 01-13-2011 09:19 PM:

LOL Kell, you read my mind. I just posted the same thing above. I guess I'll go delete my post. Post pictures please of the different Walkers, please.

Posted by branchvillekell on 01-13-2011 09:37 PM:

i am so sorry. i didnt realize you already posted. i was just wondering. never heard of a july walker. sorry again.
kell

Posted by Bill(Chew) on 01-13-2011 09:44 PM:

Julys and running walkers are track running dogs, usually used on fox and 'yotoes, and in the south, deer.

Posted by Rex W Sims on 01-13-2011 09:46 PM:

the only july's I was ever around were fox dogs..they could track like hell but didn't start treeing till late in their lives when they could no longer run with the pack...

Posted by joseph mcdonald on 01-13-2011 10:41 PM:

Dont know much on the july history other than the julys were a strain started with a dog named july, of irish,or english origin.

The running walkers are all kin to the treeing walkers way back. Started by george washington maupin and the walker family of kentucky back in the 1800's.

There are strains,or off shots of what the walker boys were breeding, that are recognized as TRIGG, GOODMan, Hudspeth,etc,etc, all fall into the American Foxhound Categorie.

I believe Lester Nance wrote a book on the history of the treeing walker , In the beggining they took foxhounds that would tree and kinda went from there.
Even today some foxhounds will tree, My buddy has one that was used strictly for bobcat and greyfox down in georgia and he will tree and stay treed. We got him cause he was throwing puppies that can flat boogie on a coyote. He hasnt forgot how to run one either! Rex is right, alot of the older hounds that couldnt stay in a race would fall off and start treeing tree game. This was happening years and years before anyone was trying to start a treeing walker breed.

Even today, there are alot of cat hunters that use running walkers or triggs or goodmans, either fullblooded or crossed on something to keep the track speed and nose.

As far as looks, the julys have a kinda shaggier coat of hair, they come in red, white, brindle, Heck i've even seen lemon and white, red and white ones, and fawn colored ones.

The Running walkers, come in red, white, red and white, lemon and white, brown and white, tri- colored, black and white, black and tan, which most black and tan foxhounds are the old time black and tan saddleback color, not as black as the coonhounds, and alot of the solid red hounds will have white feet, and alot of the black and tan foxhounds will have white feet also, really good looking dogs. height and weight vary from bloodline to bloodline. Usually 23" to 27" tall, really deep chested(LUNG CAPACITY) usually a shorter ear than the coonhounds, but have seen several good running hounds that could pass for tree stock.

Hope this helps, if anyone knows some more please post it.

Posted by ohme on 01-13-2011 11:06 PM:

i went huntin today with a pack of july hounds, they looked like golden retievers with a little black mixed in. we had two coyote chases, it was interesting to watch but i'll stick to coondogs

Posted by RH. on 01-13-2011 11:29 PM:

Here is a picture of some of our running walkers..there is prolly a little july mixed in with some of them.As you can see the colors can vary a lot as mentioned above.

Posted by ohme on 01-13-2011 11:40 PM:

seth, the julys i saw today had real long hair on them and they said it was not uncommon

Posted by RH. on 01-13-2011 11:48 PM:

yep a lot of full july's I have seen will have coarse hair on them

Posted by MIKE-B on 01-14-2011 12:12 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by ohme
seth, the julys i saw today had real long hair on them and they said it was not uncommon
You sure you wernt lookin at the yote Dougy pooh

Posted by Rex W Sims on 01-14-2011 12:39 AM:

the pack we had were coarse haired and some were flag tailed..

Posted by steveburch on 01-14-2011 01:00 AM:

Fox Hounds

I have an original hard back book writen by Woods Walker from Madison or Garrard Co. Ky. titled Walker Hounds, THEIR ORIGIN AND DEVELOPMENT. It was published in 1945. This is a very interesting book that almost any houndsman would enjoy. I called Woods Walker in 1979, talked to him requesting one of these books. He stated that he had only 4 of these books left and I was the first in many years that had requested one.

Posted by DSREDBONE on 01-14-2011 01:22 AM:

I have been doing some reading and tracing back the history of the redbone. In doing that I have read alot on the july hound which was bred in to the redbone strain fox hounds by Col. Birdsong and Col. Harris in the late 1860
The July hound was out of Red tickler and Laid Bred by Nimrod Goswell of MD. And givin to Mr. Harris These dogs date back to Mountain and Muse Bought over from the Duke Of Lead.

Here is just a short writing on the walker and July also included is the Trigg hound

There are a number of different strains in existence today that are recognized as American Foxhounds. The most popular is the Walker, followed by July, Trigg, Calhoun, Hudspeth and Goodman. The Walker, Goodman and Trigg strains can all be traced to Madison County, Kentucky and a stolen hound called Tennessee Lead. According to legend, this hound was stolen out of a deer chase in Tennessee a few miles south of Albany, Kentucky by a trader in November 1852. This trader carried this rat-tailed, tight-haired black and tan hound to Madison County where he was sold to George Washington (Wash) Mauphin. The origin and breeding of this hound is unknown, but because of his speed and ability to run a red fox, he was used extensively at stud. His get were crossed on imported hounds from England, native Kentucky, Maryland and Birdsong hounds from Georgia. Out of these crosses came the three major strains: Walker, Trigg and July. Tennessee Lead can be found approximately 30 or so generations back in many modern AKC Walker-origin showhound lineages. However, probably the most influential and more modern foxhound sire represented in many Walker-origin 10 generation showhound pedigrees is CH Kentucky Lake Bugle Boy, who is back about 7-9 generations from current day hounds and about 22 generations more recent than Lead.

The Walker strain was first known as Mauphin hounds in Kentucky, but Wash Mauphin, while breeding some wonderful hounds, failed to keep many records. It was left to the Walker brothers to use a careful method of breeding and record keeping on the Mauphin hounds. This led to great results. They shipped a large number of hounds to Texas shortly after the Civil War, and it was there that this strain was first called Walkers. This name soon moved eastward and was forever accepted as designated name for the strain when published in the Red Ranger Stud Book. A high level of gameness and endurance characterized this strain.

The Trigg strain was founded by Col. Haiden Trigg of Kentucky. His aim was to breed a hound with a good coarse voice; black, white and tan blanket-backed; with white points. He crossed Walkers, July, Birdsong and other strains to arrive at his ideal foxhound. After his death, the strain decreased in popularity, but in recent years, has made a strong comeback and is quite popular today. They have big voices and are close track runners.

The July strain came into prominence in Georgia. This strain was preceded by the Birdsong Hounds, native Georgia Hounds, the Henry Hounds from Virginia and Maryland hounds from Howard County, Maryland. In 1858, Mr. Nimrod Gosnell shipped a male hound to Colonel Miles G. Harris of Sparta, Georgia. This hound was named July for the month in which he arrived. This hound was outstanding and others of this strain were imported. July was crossed on the Birdsong and Henry Hounds. George J. Garrett, Col. Gil F. Birdsong, Miles G. Harris and Capt. Dick Baxter were probably the founding breeders of this strain. At one time, this strain was called July-Maryland. This strain, as exists today, is different in conformation from the Walker Hounds.

Posted by ohme on 01-14-2011 02:10 AM:

mike, its a good thing i didn't have a gun they might be short a dog. i better get my glasses stronger

Posted by jay brademeyer on 01-14-2011 05:18 AM:

very interesting

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Posted by COYOTE-HUNTER on 01-14-2011 11:14 AM:

ALL REGISTERED RUNNING WALKER FOXHOUNDS

A lot of coonhounds and running walkers side by side are hard to tell the difference

Posted by branchvillekell on 01-14-2011 11:38 AM:

this is really interesting and really good reading.

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 01-14-2011 12:53 PM:

Kelley Here is a List of all the MFHA Fox Hound Kennels in the US and Can.
You can click on the Kennel/Hunt name and Most all have their own Web Site which gives the History on their Pack and their Hunt Dates ..

http://www.mfha.org/hunts-alphalist.html

I believe here in Virginia have around 26 Full Fox hound Kennels (Real Kennels)

After they Banned Fox Hunting in the UK quite a few packs were imported to the States .. Alot came her to Virginia ..

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by SCBluetickGal on 01-14-2011 02:40 PM:

Here are a few of my July's, that we use for deer hunting. The lemon and whites are all littermate sisters, and the black and tan colored ones are littermate brothers. I'll try to get some better pictures of them sometime...they get the wiggles when Mama comes out LOL. Our pack is getting old, and I sure will be sad when they're gone. There's NO "tree" in these dogs though. A couple will bay a down deer, but never seen one have any desire to tree in my pack.

The two on the right in this one are July's...

All but the two on the left are July's here...

CH'PR'Moss Blue Carolina Rain-Queen of Show, BBOA Zone 6 Championship
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH'PR' PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' Poison Whiskey CowgirlsDontCry
CH'PR' Bowers & O'Connor's Foxy Roxy
PoisonWhiskey SonOfTheSouth

Poison Whiskey Hello Darlin'-2013 AL State BMOS, AL State Hall of Fame King of Show

PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk

Coming Soon...
PoisonWhiskeyMaybeItWasMemphis
PoisonWhiskey Heart Like Mine
-------------------------
In loving memory...
CCH GRCH 'PR' Swampland Blue Gypsy-RIP sweet girl
'PR' Miller Time

Posted by branchvillekell on 01-14-2011 05:43 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Majestic Tree H
Kelley Here is a List of all the MFHA Fox Hound Kennels in the US and Can.
You can click on the Kennel/Hunt name and Most all have their own Web Site which gives the History on their Pack and their Hunt Dates ..

http://www.mfha.org/hunts-alphalist.html

I believe here in Virginia have around 26 Full Fox hound Kennels (Real Kennels)

After they Banned Fox Hunting in the UK quite a few packs were imported to the States .. Alot came her to Virginia ..

that is such a cool site. wow. takes me back in time.lol.

Posted by Rex W Sims on 01-14-2011 06:05 PM:

I spent many a night in my ill gotten youth sitting around a fire listening to a pack of fox hounds..takes me way back ,branch..

Posted by branchvillekell on 01-14-2011 06:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rex W Sims
I spent many a night in my ill gotten youth sitting around a fire listening to a pack of fox hounds..takes me way back ,branch..

i want to go on a fox hunt, on horseback. i meant way back from all the books i have read, dreaming. i think it would be a hunt of a lifetime for me.
kelley