UKC Forums
Show all 10 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Big Game Hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36)
-- How to train a Bobcat dog (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=290117)

Posted by ST_CRK_KENNELS on 07-28-2009 06:53 PM:

How to train a Bobcat dog

I have a young male Blackmouth Cur/Mt. Cur that is gritty as they come. He has brought in about 7 coon that he naturally learned to catch naturally, He'll tree squirrels also. Never coonhunted him, but thinking about it. How would I go about starting him on Bobcat. No one around here as a Bobcat hound and there are plenty of them.

**'PR' JR'S SHOW ME BLACK SIS** Gr Nite Ch Isom'sTimber x Isom's Josie R.I.P.)
**CGN CGCH 'PR' S & JR's Show Me Bella**
**CNC 'PR' O'Neal's Locktite Little River D** (Co-Owned with Russell O'Neal)
(GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Coulter's Timbuktu X Nite Ch Gr Ch CCH "PR" Little River Jessie Jr HTX)
**'PR' Stouts Creek Jessie II** (Gr Nite Ch 'PR' Isom's Show Me Black Timber x Nite Ch Gr Ch 'PR' Little River Jessie Jr HTX)
**'PR' Stouts Creek Gator**
**'PR' Stouts Creek Hooker**
(GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Coulter's Timbuktu X GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Faulkner's Amy)
SHOW YOUR DOGS ON THE TREE
NOT THE BENCH!!!!!

Posted by branch505 on 07-28-2009 10:07 PM:

grawes scents, a drag and a lot of time would be the simplest answer. Walk out tracks with the dog until they can run the track themselves. Grit is not one of the main characteristics in a bobcat dog, intelligence is.

Posted by ST_CRK_KENNELS on 07-29-2009 07:34 PM:

This sucker is very smart. Do them training scents really work that good. I thought about trying to catch one in a live trap, and doing it like I do with coonhounds. I don't think that I can catch that many cats though.

(GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Coulter's Timbuktu X Nite Ch Gr Ch CCH "PR" Little River Jessie Jr HTX)
**'PR' Stouts Creek Jessie II** (Gr Nite Ch 'PR' Isom's Show Me Black Timber x Nite Ch Gr Ch 'PR' Little River Jessie Jr HTX)
NOT THE BENCH!!!!!

Posted by elkhdb&t on 07-30-2009 01:01 AM:

sent training

Try bigamehoundsman.com look under cat dog training. Or better yet buy a cat dog and let him train your dog. But I will warn you finding a good cat dog wont be easy. hope this helps

Posted by branch505 on 07-30-2009 06:02 AM:

finding a good cat dog is not cheap as well. Becareful about catching a live one, it maybe illegal in your area and it may not be as easy as you think.

Posted by papa on 07-30-2009 06:47 AM:

cat dog

i started my first coonhound on house cats. he made a top notch coon dog but would run an tree bob cats if he came across one. idident let him kill the house cat either id soakthe cat down in bob cat sent an he would tree it

Posted by ST_CRK_KENNELS on 07-30-2009 08:24 PM:

PAPA

That just might work. This little male (Bolliver) hates a house cat with a passion. I have an ample supply of stray disposable house cats to catch in town at the feed store, some of them cats are crazy. That scent isn't very cheap though.

Branch 505

Not to concerned about it being illegal, but you are right it would probably be hard to do.

NOT THE BENCH!!!!!

Posted by jackbob42 on 07-30-2009 08:45 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ST_CRK_KENNELS
.... That scent isn't very cheap though.

Don't worry about the scent if you've got wild housecats to work with.
I've got beagles that will run cottontails , snowshoes ( hare ) , jacks , or swampers. It don't make no difference to them , a rabbit is a rabbit. And so it is with cats. If they'll run a housecat , they'll run a bobcat/mountain lion. The cats may run a little different , but I believe they all smell somewhat the same. Not exactly alike , but alot alike.
Just find a creek crossing a dirt road and brush the edges of the road and go back in the morning and look for tracks. When you find some , try the dog on them.
You might have to go a night or two checking the crossing every couple hours to get the dog on a hot one , but it'll figure things out.

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Posted by DerekE on 08-01-2009 03:56 AM:

Put him on house cats. Try calling up some bobs and put him right on them.
Derek

Posted by papa on 08-01-2009 08:25 AM:

catchin cats

not sure about were you live.but here we have fox an coyote pens.the trappers usally dispose of anybob cat they catch.if yall have them get with a trapper they would probbaly give them to you if you get them out the traps