UKC Forums Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]
Show all 71 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- vicks vapor rub on females in heat (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=338905)

Posted by Ron Ashbaugh on 03-05-2010 09:01 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by buck brush
my NTCH female is in full blowen heat right now i think i will vicks her up and take her to Wyatt tonight and do the same thing and take her to one Sat. night also

Draw out with some good dogs and you can save yourself the stud fee....

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 09:06 PM:

i was wondering where you was at Jim now i know you must have been on the phone to HEAD QUARTERS LMAO

that is what i was thinking BRIAR, Jim if i do come over tonight since the club could use the money can i pick my cast might be some big STUD dogs there

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by on 03-05-2010 09:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by todd kellam
I think we could debate the ethics of masking heat all day long. I also think there are good reasons not to do so aside from ethics. But I don't think I can tell you that it's against the rules to try to mask odor. The rules don't say you can't hunt a female in season. They simply say females smellling strong enough to attract dogs will be scratched.

'Nuff said.

If you don't like it... submit a rule change proposal to your breed association.

Right or wrong, it happens and probably would even if the rule said no masking agents allowed.

JiM was just one of the few that openly admitted so he's catching some heat.

If I paid an advanced entry fee to a hunt, and my female started bleeding I wouldn't hesitate to use Vicks. If a dog fight or something happened in a cast, I'd volunteer to minus my female before allowing 2 males to get scratched.

Posted by Ron Ashbaugh on 03-05-2010 09:26 PM:

What Todd posted is more than clear.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Posted by on 03-05-2010 09:26 PM:

Sorry Skip but I wasn't on the phone and I don't need HEADQUARTERS to explain something as simple as this rule.

The other KC's rule says "Bitches in season will be scratched" That one might be more to your likeing. Vicks wouldn't do any good under that rule because it doesn't matter if you cover the smell or not. If they are in season they are scratched. But that isn't UKC's rule.

Posted by Blue Style on 03-05-2010 09:28 PM:

seems pretty cut and dried...thanks Allen...

Posted by Allen / UKC on 03-05-2010 09:32 PM:

Thanks for what Blue Style? TK is the one smelling of vicks today. Not I.

He's hacking, sneezing and coughing like crazy over there in his office. Wasn't sure what was going on but now I have a good idea.

Posted by Mike Van Dusen on 03-05-2010 09:33 PM:

Just goes to show you can learn something everyday.
Thanks Todd for clearing all this up.

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Posted by Blue Style on 03-05-2010 09:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Thanks for what Blue Style? TK is the one smelling of vicks today. Not I.

He's hacking, sneezing and coughing like crazy over there in his office. Wasn't sure what was going on but now I have a good idea.

Typo, lol...glad someone on here is payin attention...

Posted by buck brush on 03-05-2010 09:46 PM:

JIM

Mike and i are not mad at you we are just having a open conversation with you and others . just wanted to put there that there is 2 sides to everything not just one. you just get to rapped up in everything is to personal , we are not picking on you.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Posted by T.Beyer on 03-05-2010 09:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by T.Beyer
Oh yeah? Well can you use the family dollar brand or does it need to be Vicks? I mean really...enquiring minds need to know this stuff!

I was thinking, this is a valid question, but, so too are these...

How do the stools clean up aftewards.

Does it make their coats look nice and shiny?

Who says we can't discuss this like a dog food thread!

In Honor of Jim Sizemore, " This ain't no benchshow!"

Posted by jculler8 on 03-05-2010 10:54 PM:

As of right now, I think Jim and I are the ONLY one's that have admitted to using Vicks on a female COMING into season! I would hope that BOTH Jim and I have enough common sense to figure that if AFTER we apply the VICKS and before we turn loose, if males are bothering our bitch, we would simply withdraw from the cast!!!

Now Buckshot, if you are talking about ethics, what would that be considered?

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Posted by Dan Dogs on 03-05-2010 10:58 PM:

Re: OOPS SORRY I HAD THE WRONG JAR IN MIND

quote:
Originally posted by ronald schultz
I WAS THINKING VASELINE!!!! HH,MMMM ??VICKS /VASELINE??? WHICH WOULD BE BEST!??!?!?!?!?
baby scented !!! works great

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by Dan Dogs on 03-05-2010 11:34 PM:

i wouldn't take a chance if she was bleeding,,but i have used it when the female has gone out of heat but still maybe smelling enuff to attract a male..

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Posted by Rip on 03-06-2010 12:38 AM:

Well it might work in a pinch, very, very early or late like JIM is talking about.

But a guy on our cast found out one night, it don't work very good. He had a new litter of pups and the male that was the daddy won the cast (my brothers dog).

At least he got a free breedin from a good dog LOL.

Also, on a different take, I have seen people argue when using vicks that only one male was scratched cause "he was bad to bother females" LMBO. I sent them to the truck cause if they was puttin vicks on it I didn't figgure it was the male's fault. He took it OK, he didn't volunteer it was vicks till after I scratched him.

Posted by Buckshot on 03-06-2010 01:39 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by jculler8

Now Buckshot, if you are talking about ethics, what would that be considered?

My personal opinion that it's cheating when using aids to mask things -- whether to mask dog in heat from smelling, applying black polish on a B&T to cover the huge white spot on chest or white where should not be and etc... (IMO the rules I posted seem to support it but since TK says it;s OK then I hope the rule can be added in the future by the breed associations). Problem is, not everyone would withdraw like you or Jim.

Then again, I can't see how a trying to win a plastic trophy is worth gambling an oops litter for.

To each their own I guess.

Posted by on 03-06-2010 04:21 AM:

You may have noticed that I never said I would withdraw. I said if your male bothers my Vicksed up female, my female is scratched. If none of the males bother her, she isn't scratched and I'm surely not gonna withdraw. If I was willing to withdraw, I wouldn't have entered in the first place.

Posted by Will Walker on 03-06-2010 04:35 AM:

i agree with jim on this one, if it was myself, although ive not tried it, i would but wouldnt announce it to anyone and if there was any problems i would simply withdraw my female. i know a few that have done this either early or later in a heat cycle and not had any problems. some people act like this is new to the night hunt world and i can assure you this has been goin on for years!

Posted by Buckshot on 03-06-2010 06:47 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
You may have noticed that I never said I would withdraw. I said if your male bothers my Vicksed up female, my female is scratched. If none of the males bother her, she isn't scratched and I'm surely not gonna withdraw. If I was willing to withdraw, I wouldn't have entered in the first place.

Jim, I was responding to jculler8's comment of:

quote:

I would hope that BOTH Jim and I have enough common sense to figure that if AFTER we apply the VICKS and before we turn loose, if males are bothering our bitch, we would simply withdraw from the cast!!!

Posted by David Boggs on 03-06-2010 07:13 AM:

if if

you got a good bitch why would you take a chance to get her bread just 4 a trophey or even a few hundered dollers in a hunt.i would rather pick the stud then him pick my bitch.if a dog smells they should NEVER BE PUT IN A COMP HUNT but that is just my choice is all and some would do aney thing.david boggs..ps but its not realey a coon hunt aney way ITS A GAME AND NOTHING MORE just like aney sport do you realey think the best dog in a cast wins not all the time so that is why it is just a game and people foreget that and breed to the winner of the game

Posted by jculler8 on 03-07-2010 01:31 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Will Walker
i agree with jim on this one, if it was myself, although ive not tried it, i would but wouldnt announce it to anyone and if there was any problems i would simply withdraw my female. i know a few that have done this either early or later in a heat cycle and not had any problems. some people act like this is new to the night hunt world and i can assure you this has been goin on for years!

this is more along the lines of what I was talking about, but yes, I agree with Buckshot on this 1... maybe more of a clarification or an advisor column?

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show