UKC Forums Pages (2): « 1 [2]
Show all 38 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Big Game Hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36)
-- cold nose plotts? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=454355)

Posted by sgradyfarms on 10-11-2011 11:23 PM:

Hours

6 hours is medium, Less than 6 is hot, and 10+ is cold

Posted by TBBLUE on 10-12-2011 12:44 AM:

Can go by hrs in good conditions, but I've cold trailed n jumped game 2 days old in the snow or swamp. But high ground or sandy clear cuts or down trails r different. Even trail down gravel roads on occasion , how many hrs. Is cold down a gravel road. Most dogs can't even run a hot bear down a road. Some days u can trail down Orv trails some days its riff.

Posted by RunninBear(Ike) on 10-12-2011 02:41 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by TBBLUE
Can go by hrs in good conditions, but I've cold trailed n jumped game 2 days old in the snow or swamp. But high ground or sandy clear cuts or down trails r different. Even trail down gravel roads on occasion , how many hrs. Is cold down a gravel road. Most dogs can't even run a hot bear down a road. Some days u can trail down Orv trails some days its riff.

You nailed it there on about every issue. It takes a good trail dog to cold trail a lion or bear down the road, and it can be plenty tough for a good, tough, veteran trail hound.

Best I ever saw was that LionHeart bitch of mine. It was late-morning and we had a cold bear track up the road, so we were driving really slow hoping it get it started where it left. A thunderstorm came through and dumped a hard rain followed by enough hail to cover the road....done deal on the bear track right? Wrong!

I put that LionHeart bitch out on the road after the storm quit and she cold trailed it nearly a mile before it left near a spring, so we stopped and fed dogs in until all nine were gone. Only my three old veterans made it to the tree, and my buddies female (a dog out of LionHeart and Ike) came into the tree behind us. I don't know what that old girl could smell, or even how she did it but do it she always did.........the coldest, most hard headed dog I ever saw!

Posted by TBBLUE on 10-12-2011 03:00 AM:

Sounds like a dandy

Posted by AFricks88 on 10-12-2011 07:41 PM:

cold

Sure does sound like a good hound ike!

Posted by Randy Susa on 10-13-2011 01:48 AM:

JMO.

Sounds like dreaming to me...

Posted by RunninBear(Ike) on 10-13-2011 05:04 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Susa
JMO.

Sounds like dreaming to me...

I ASSUME THAT COMMENT WAS POINTED AT YOURSELF RIGHT? CAUSE IF YOU'RE CALLING ME A LIAR THEN SPIT IT OUT AND I'LL HAVE MY SAY.......

Posted by AFricks88 on 10-13-2011 12:00 PM:

?

Dreaming huh?

Posted by TBBLUE on 10-14-2011 12:22 AM:

Some guys have never seen real cold nosed dogs or real fast or what dogs r capable of doin so some don't no Wat can be done by a hound . There are some real deal dogs out there in every breed ( more in some than others). So don't settle keep searching there out there , just gotta find em. Good luck to ya's

Posted by AFricks88 on 10-14-2011 12:53 AM:

breeds

I agree there are top notch hound in every breed I was just wondering what plotts people had with a cold nose!

Posted by Walker9615 on 10-14-2011 01:22 AM:

Hounds

Dogs in general will teach u more than u can teach them if u let them, I've had the opportunity to really see some special dogs work, I've seen comments on here that will make u laugh bc some people say no way a dog can't do that or just in general.Like fast dogs are hot nosed an cold nose dogs are slow. I prefer walkers but that's just me I've seen great dogs in every breed it's just my preferece. My Ann bitch can an will not be out trailed by anything anyone has or has owned on here but what separates her from most other cold nose dogs is she will even at almost 8 take the track away from any other dog alive when hunted up. She has been the best trail an track dog I've ever had the opportunity to hunt behind second place isn't even close. I've given away dogs to people that say this is the best trail dog I've ever owned because of this old dog. She is second to none an in my eyes is what I'll always compare other hounds to.

Posted by AFricks88 on 10-14-2011 03:28 AM:

walker

Well said I need to get up your way an hunt been talking bout it but just haven't had the time! And wanna see them walkers work!

Posted by plottman3 on 11-01-2011 11:00 PM:

ClarkandDial

ClarkandDial

That flambeau river jake and flambeau river rosey were my fathers dogs in the early 90s both super cold nosed dogs rick anderson owned Jack and was also super cold nosed. we've breedin this line of plotts for over 20 years now and im always lookin for top dogs to breed to Id be intersted to know more about that dog