UKC Forums Pages (87): « First ... « 81 82 [83] 84 85 » ... Last »
Show all 2155 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=56)
-- Bogue Chitto Blues (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928369513)

Posted by steve bankston on 06-21-2020 01:00 AM:

ROXY

Cayden came this past week and we hunted a few times. ROXY was 2 for 2 one night and 2 for 3 another. The one we couldn’t find was a huge Turkey Pine and I’m sure he was there just tough to shine. Been swimming BO every day. Keeping him in shape and building up those lungs for stamina. Cayden turned 13 on the 11th and he got a new rifle for his birthday. Ruger American 7-08. Fine little gun and him and me got it sighted in. He should be able to fill their freezer this year with deer and wild hogs. Planning on hunting ROXY next year in PKC and going to the SS in the spring. Haven’t ever hunted the money hunts but want to give them a try. Wasn’t even thinking if this year and didn’t know they had a Baby Stakes that she is eligible to hunt in next Saturday in Indiana. Found out this morning and kicking the idea around to hit the road and give it a shot. Don’t know how she will react with three strange dogs but only one way to find out and ya gotta start somewhere. Beverly tried to call Shakatak State Park bear Sullivan and make reservations twice today but stayed on hold forever and I told her to just hang up. Will do some more research and see what we can find in the area. She will turn one year old Friday.

Posted by steve bankston on 06-28-2020 02:10 AM:

Josey Wales

The new pup, River Outlaw Josey Wales, is doing good and growing. Real Bold pup that fears nothing and is extremely smart. Just my type. He is a beautiful pup and I’m looking forward to starting my first Treeing Walker. Haven’t hunted much the past two weeks. Had a lot going on and one excuse led to another. Told Mr Jack today on the phone that I used an excuse last night I have never used, the Saharan Dust that settles over us after crossing the ocean and gulf from Africa. Heat index at dark last night was 90 degrees and the air was as hot and heavy with the hazy dust as I’ve ever seen it. So that’s an excuse that got used and was a good one. Didn’t go to the baby stakes as I felt it was to little notice and I like to be more prepared. I will hunt ROXY through her first kill season which starts Wednesday of next week. She will start getting a little fur in her mouth on those tougher tracks she does a good job on. Come February she should be ready to get her money Won and compete in the SS next year. The hay pastures are looking great after the big rains we had this week and I will be having the guy come cut and bale for the second time soon. Then I’m having it limed for next years hay. I got the soil samples off three of the pastures and got them sent in the other day. I wasn’t breeding Bo anymore this year but a local guy that has a dual grand that’s well known and one of the toughest females in the country is wanting to breed her to Bo. So I’ve decided to go ahead and do that. She is Utchman bred and it will be a great cross. He’s heard of Bo from a couple of guys that’s hunted with me and Bo a lot and when he asked them what stud would they recommend him breeding her to, they said Bo. I appreciate that kind of compliment on my hound. From people that hunted a dozen times or more with him and also hunted with big name stud dogs and they love what they see out of Bo. He makes me happy and I promise that’s all that matters. We ain’t scared to hunt with anybody and their hound for pleasure or for money. He’s available to be seen any night, either way you want to do it.

Posted by steve bankston on 07-09-2020 02:04 AM:

The Roadrunner

Took Bo out late under the full moon and he went pretty far down Cypress Bottom before striking a decent track. After he moved it a ways and it started warming up, he started swinging to the right then coming back my way. I knew it was that Road Crosser that I had nicknamed the Roadrunner. Bo has ran him under the bridge by the house and treed him upriver and ROXY has ran him across the road and treed him upriver. I saw him cross that night. I said then if I Treed him again when he crossed that road, I was gonna kill him before he got one of my hounds killed on the highway. Well, Bo was rolling toward the road, screaming like a runaway train. I blasted across the field in the Rhino only to get to the highway just as Bo came across. Coon went almost to the river then turned and be dang if he didn’t cross the road again headed south. Went a couple of hundred yards then Bo drove him back under the bridge and upriver again. Fine a race as you would want to hear but I was stressing that road. Three vehicles had passed and I had flashed my Coon light to get them to slow down. One time Bo was only 30 yards off the road and coming my way as the car went by. He got far upriver and slammed the tree on the levee of a big deep pond. I went through a thicket from Hell getting to him and went over my hip waders in a bad swamp bog. Finally got through the thicket to Bo and backed down the levee where I could shine the big Gnarly Oak he was on. I found the Coon with the bright light and hit him first shot in the rear. He took out like a squirrel up the tree to the top and I popped a couple of more but missed. Down the tree he came and I just knew he was gonna bail out. I lost sight of him so went to the other side of the tree and found him peeking at me up through all the trashy limbs. I popped a couple of more and connected and out he came. But still very much alive and took off toward the deep dark water of the pond. I threw up like I was rabbit hunting and put two more in him just before he got to the water. Then click, I was empty. Took off and barley caught him by the tail as he was hitting that pond and slung him back up the bank then on over to the other side where Bo was hooked and waiting on his reward. He was a lanky long legged swamp runner with huge feet. Boar Coon and I was proud it wasn’t a Sow. Team Work by me and Bo put an end to the dangerous Roadrunner of the Swamp. Hated killing an old hard running warrior Coon like that but I wasn’t going to chance living to regret it if I didn’t put a bullet in him. Me and Bo made our way out of the thicket and back to the Rhino then on to the house. Will be back after them again tomorrow. Swimming at 6 in the morning and 6 tomorrow evening. We fixing to get in better shape around here. Pleasure hunters don’t live here anymore. We got our game face on.

Posted by steve bankston on 07-16-2020 07:03 PM:

Bo and ROXY

It’s been extremely hot here the past week or so but we still hitting the woods. Bo treed one off a silage pit race last night and ROXY got one treed deep in Bo’s Bottom. Hoping they don’t cancel the world hunt. Seeing after July 23 that any groups greater than 250 in Indiana have to submit a plan to the local health department for approval. Hope UKC is on top of this or there might not be a World Hunt, Autumn Oaks or National Bluetick Days. Zones in Indiana to. I’m so sick of the mess politicians are making of this country. Don’t know if we will ever see normal again before the collapse of the Greatest Country on earth. Truly sad what’s going on.

Posted by KYHoundDawg on 07-16-2020 08:52 PM:

Couldn’t agree more Steve! I’ve wasted so many days off work for cancelled events, these mandates are ridiculous! Let those that want to live their lives attend, those that don’t, stay home!

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Posted by steve bankston on 08-02-2020 12:52 AM:

Iowa Road Trip

Got Bo’s entry to the Zones sent in and we will be headed to Iowa to try our luck. Got a cabin booked in the state park for an entire week and hope to do a few nights of hunting on public land. They have a good bit in that area. Been hunting steady and hounds have looked pretty good, especially ROXY. Super excited about her, cool weather and this years kill season. She should finish out this next year into a top hound. She’s quicker all way around than anything I’ve had. Treed one a couple of nights ago after a three quarter mile race. She was pretty hot but treeing hard. Found the big coon and left him to run again. Muscadines are getting ripe and this is the time of year that coons start moving around more and we start Treeing kitten Coon. The nights will soon be getting just a few degrees cooler and feels so much better. The mornings will be dead still and the early leaves will start getting a little color. Fall is coming, just hang in there. Looking forward to our road trip a lot. Win or Lose, just want to enjoy the trip and the hunting. Just wish the craziness of election year and the fear mongering wasn’t going on. But I will not let it control my life or the happiness in my heart and soul. Live is to short to worry and complain. Hunt the hounds a little longer, love a little stronger and treat yourself to the things you enjoy in life. Don’t save for a rainy day, you might not be here to hear it thunder.

Posted by steve bankston on 08-11-2020 02:38 AM:

Hot

We have dried out the past ten days and after the little cool front with low humidity, it is screaming hot again. Heat index of 105 today and as I type this it’s 8:30pm and heat index is still 94. That’s just to hot for me and my dogs. It needs to be 85 and dropping and that’s still hot. Gonna have to wait until after 10 or go at 4am. Tracks have been tough the past few nights. They hitting the ripe Muscadines but it’s late before they find a decent track. I’ve killed several cottonmouths and copperheads here lately. They stirring around. Bought me some Brangus cows with some fine calves at their side. Cutting hay next week and that will do them for the winter. Got a lot of lime to put out soon as it’s cut. Josey is growing like a bad weed. Loves to swim and just turned 3 months old. His black head and ears have turned red and he’s going to be a big beautiful hound when he’s grown. Got a lot of go I’m him and loves to get into things and explore. Hoping he’s a go yonder kind of dog and loves to find those Coon. ROXY is still Treeing them and is as nice as I could ever want from a young hound that just turned a year old. She’s got a great future ahead of her and I’m looking forward to this Fall and winter hunting her hard and feeding her some fur. Should polish her off nicely.

Posted by steve bankston on 08-13-2020 08:18 PM:

Snake Bit

Took ROXY last night and she got in about 200 yards and just stopped on the Garmin. I watched her not moving for five minutes or so then took out to her knowing she was probably snake bit. This dog hustles, don’t scribble dots on your Garmin or stay in one place unless she’s treed so I knew something was wrong. Got to her and she was laid down beside the creek with her right paw off in the water. Snake Bit just like I thought. I picked her up and toted her out of the swamp back to the Rhino. Got her home and give her 30cc of Benadryl, 2cc of Penacillian, 1cc of Decamethasone and some milk and raw eggs. Today it’s swollen from the paw to the shoulder, bad. He got her good. She’s in good spirits, eating and drinking so I believe she will be fine. Hoping the swelling goes down soon.

Posted by Gary Napier II on 08-14-2020 12:09 AM:

Hopefully she will recover quickly. Good luck.

Posted by steve bankston on 08-15-2020 01:18 PM:

ROXY update

Thanks Gary. ROXY is better and the swelling is going down but not as quick as I had thought it would. He got her bad and that swelling had went all up into her chest and now loose skin is hanging down under her and feels like fluid in it. Hoping the body absorbs it over the next couple of days. Still giving two penicillin shots a day. She started coming into heat also for her first time. She’s 13 months old. Glad to see and now that will be out of the way so as not to interfere with hunting this Fall and Winter. Took Bo last night and he got one treed quick. We had an inch of rain yesterday and it had cooled off to 77 and felt nice. Yaw up in corn country that have been in the 50’s and 60’s at night don’t know how lucky you are. To have so many Coon and much better weather and terrain compared to the crap we hunt in down here. Looking forward to getting to Iowa and enjoying some of that.

Posted by steve bankston on 08-20-2020 11:20 AM:

ROXY

She is well from her snake bite. Give her several days of penicillin and Dex. That Dex really helped and the swelling finally left her. Been hunting Bo a couple of drops a night. Treeing those Coon in the Muscadines. Got my 20 acres of hay cut and baled this week. Had 104 rolls. The baler used a Partiotic Net Wrap on the Rolls. Red White and Blue like a flag. Pretty sight to see scattered across the fresh cut fields. The Brangus Trump Herd will have plenty of high quality highly fertilized hay to eat this winter. Took the two bottom plow in a small field yesterday that I’m going to plant corn in this spring and ripped it up. Found a lot of Arrowheads and Points. Can’t wait til it rains because we will find a lot more. Nights are getting a little cooler and the stillness in the mornings is a sign that Fall isn’t far off. We have two systems headed to the Gulf next week. Hoping neither one threatens us nor brings us a lot of rain. This summer we have had more frequent rain than any year I can remember.

Posted by steve bankston on 08-29-2020 03:06 AM:

ROXY

Been hunting about every night. ROXY looking really good. Treed a triple the other night and I put one down to her. I think that’s just the fifth Coon I’ve given her since she Treed her first one at 7 months old. Hard hunting, super fast on track and looking to get treed. Don’t waste time scribbling dots on the Garmin. Really like her. Enjoy hunting her more than Bo and that’s saying a lot. After we go to the Zones and get back home, it’s going to be all about ROXY. Bo will get hunted lightly this year. I want to see what ROXY can do when pushed hard, or at least as hard as I can push. Hurricane Laura hit southwest Louisiana hard as I’m sure you have all seen. Sad for the people that were in her path and lost everything. Heartbreaking. Still hot muggy days here. The other night it was still 90 degrees heat index when I cut loose and the next morning when the hurricane had made landfall it was still that hot. Supposed to be heat index of 110 tomorrow. I’m so ready for cool weather.

Posted by steve bankston on 09-14-2020 03:59 PM:

BO

We made it to Iowa yesterday to stay the next week and Bo is ready to hunt the Zone Friday and Saturday. It was a long rough ride, especially with a hurricane coming right at the house. Thankfully the track has shifted slightly east and looks better for my home. Hopefully only a few inches of rain and a little 50mph winds for a day or so. Going to try and hunt Bo around here tonight and tomorrow then rest him a couple before the hunt. We In It to Win It but regardless we just want a Fair, Fun Hunt and May the best dog on the cast win. Im not a completion hunter and never tried to qualify a hound before I did with Bo. This is a first for both of us and I’m excited to be participating in a chance to get through to the finals of the world hunt.

Posted by BEST EVER on 09-14-2020 05:15 PM:

Good luck Steve and stay safe!

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Posted by gcblues on 09-15-2020 04:20 AM:

Zone hunt

Good luck to you and Bo

Posted by steve bankston on 09-23-2020 02:14 PM:

Iowa Zones

Thanks guys. I pleasure hunted Bo a couple of nights in the state forest that joins the state park and he trees several and looked pretty good. Found some raw sores on both back paws near the pad line and started giving him antibiotics cause it looked like staff infection and doctored on them with cut and heal and bag balm. Friday night him and two of the dogs in the cast didn’t look very good but one English Dog slipped out of the corn and half mile down the creek and treed the only Coon we seen and scored on and he won the cast. Saturday night was unbelievable and the very reason I came to Iowa. Scored on 10 different trees and 8 of those had Coon in them, some had multiple Coon. We saw close to 30 coon that night in those two hours. I made a couple of bad no calls in the beginning to get Bo started out with minus but with all the Coon treed he was soon in the plus and back in it. Dogs were splitting with the Coon and he split once and had the Coon. He backed for second tree several times with the Coon seen. But at the end I Treed him for first tree twice and he didn’t stay hooked and that put us out of it. Two blue dogs were tied in points and went to the tie breaker to declare the winner. The other three hounds were Grand Nites and they were worthy of the titles. All top hounds. Both nights were a great group of people especially Saturday night. I found 5 of the coons for the others and when Bo was split someone found Bo’s. Everybody got along great and helped one another find the coons and get threw fences and up creek banks. That’s the way every cast should be and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to going back next year with ROXY. Bo’s days are over and he will just pleasure hunt a little from now on. ROXY has a better nose, faster on track and much quicker to get hooked. All my time will be put in her this kill season getting her finished into a solid hound that can compete. Wishing everyone good luck at the finals and hoping a blue dog wins it for us.

Posted by steve bankston on 10-04-2020 03:51 AM:

Cool Weather

We got a nice cold front in a week ago and it’s been some beautiful cool weather for us early this year. I took Bo out for a drop tonight for the first time since getting home from the Zones. He treed a double pretty quick in. Black Branch Swamp. Still has sores on his back paws and they aren’t getting any better. Will take him to the Vet on Monday and see what she says. ROXY came in heat two days after we got home so can’t hunt her until next weekend at the soonest. Glad she’s getting this on out of the way so we can hit it hard with no interruptions. Headed to Indiana in November to hunt with Tracy Baker for a week. Excited to see how ROXY looks in a lot of Coon. Got a pair of Crash pups coming soon. My kennel will be full then. I will end up with something for sale about this time next year. Lot of folks don’t have the time it takes to put in a pup and do it right but I do. So I decided to load up my kennel with some top blooded pups and try to turn them into some well mannered, well started top prospects and offer them for sale when the time is right. My Treeing Walker Pup had a squirrel flip his tree switch the other day along the river. Just 4 months old but showing he has the natural tree ability bred in him. Love the signs he’s starting to show me. Won’t be long and it will be time to show him what his job is going to be. Sent his papers off before we left for Iowa and they came back last week. Everybody complaining about UKC and the time it takes to get the paperwork back, only took mine 3 weeks from the time I mailed them til they were back in my hands. And they also sent an email the week before saying they had got them and they would be mailed back within 48 hours. That’s top notch service to me.

Posted by steve bankston on 10-11-2020 09:11 PM:

Hurricanes

We have been lucky this year and dodged 3 different Major Hurricanes. Or I should say they dodged us. All 3 were forecast to run right through here and the last few days track of each one they shifted enough to miss us. Laura and Delta shifted west and Sally hooked back East. Wind was pretty rough Friday night off Delta, around 50mph here at the house. Lot of limbs and leaves down but no other damage. ROXY is going out of heat and I will be back in the swamps with her tonight. Josey is really showing a lot of good signs and I will show him a coon later this month. Bo been wanting to go but I’ve only hunted one time since getting home from Iowa. But starting tonight we gonna be back at it hard. All the food plots have been planted and are up and looking good. Lot of things have been caught up on and now it’s time to enjoy hunting and the beautiful fall weather. Maybe a little fishing to. Looking forward to my week long trip to Indiana next month.

Posted by steve bankston on 10-22-2020 01:22 AM:

Roxy

Haven’t been hunting much but when I took ROXY last week she looked good treeing 2. The second one she did an outstanding job on a track that went almost 400 yards through the flooded Cypress Flats and Treed him before he could get off in the Beaver Pond. I knocked that one down to her, she deserved him. I won’t be getting any pups off Crash. The pair or at least one I was supposed to get were killed when the Hurricane Delta hit and they were out in the pen with winds of 70mph or higher. Messed up deal but hey, that’s life. Gods way of telling me I don’t need a pup, just hunt what I got. Lot going on at the farm and it’s about weaning time for the calves. Price is up on heifers under 500 pounds and tempting to sell and not have to feed through the winter but I predict this country is headed for worse times and prices will sky rocket when people panic and this chaos gets worse. So I will hang on to them to make sure I got something to eat.

Posted by KYHoundDawg on 10-22-2020 04:04 PM:

Sorry about the pups. Good call on the calves Steve. Hope all else is well.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Posted by steve bankston on 10-27-2020 11:45 PM:

ROXY and Road Trips

Thanks Mark. Been hunting some, not as much as I should. Bo and ROXY have been looking sharp. ROXY treed a couple of more the other night. Quick to. Re Cut her from the first tree and she got deep and was soon hooked again. I knocked that one down to her. Taking her to the Delta and Twin Oaks WMA Soon for a few nights of hunting some big beautiful woods without all the thickets we have here. Getting her use to treeing coons in strange places where she’s ready for the hunts late winter and spring. Bo treed 4 last week. Will be taking him and ROXY to Indiana next month for a week of hunting in the land of plenty. Got something in the works but it’s a secret right now. Will be able to talk about it in a month or so. Gonna be fun. Made more money off the Trump Herd. Our great President helping the poor farmers like me out. USDA has give me two different checks this year. One for 33 bucks a head for every cow and calf I got then another round at 55 a head for calves. Making money and not having to sell a thing. So thankful we will have him another 4 years. Then Pence for 8. Should go a long way in getting our country back on track and the criminals back where they belong. Off the streets and behind bars or in the electric chair. Got another Hurricane hitting below us tomorrow evening. We supposed to get 50mph winds again. These things have come at us all summer long to the point I don’t even get excited anymore. As common as a rain shower it feels like. Will be showing Josey a coon and starting him by Thanksgiving. One of his littermate brothers has already been shown a coon and ran and treed it like an old hound. Great signs I’m seeing In this pup. Love my Walker Pup. For now anyway.

Posted by steve bankston on 11-11-2020 01:44 AM:

Pups, ROXY and Road Trips

Lot to catch up on! Took ROXY to the Delta and she went three for three in an hour. Knocked the second one out to her and left the other two. Very nice big open woods and our cabin was real nice. Only three hours from home and lot more coons. Already got reservations for two more trips. The second night i hunted with a friend and his two hounds. First tree they were 700 yards deep split treed. Walked by his Grand Nite gyp and she was slick on a persimmon tree and ROXY was 20 yards further on a big oak with the Coon and the other dog was 50 yards deeper still opening on the ground. So looks like ROXY will hold all the pressure you want to test her with. Ended up getting a pup after all from the litter off Crash and Ann. Only two survived, male and a female and I got the fine male pup and delivered the female to Rocky Cundiff in Kentucky Sunday. Was going to Indiana to but Tracy got sick so didn’t go. Instead we headed west from Kentucky into Shawnee National Forest in Illinois. Beautiful place along the Ohio River. Was staying this whole week but my pup got sick and I wanted him to go to my vet so I drove thru the night last night and took him this morning. He got the medicine he needed and is already feeling better. ROXY tore a toe nail off so she will be laid up a week or so. Don’t want infection from the swamp getting a hold of her. Really disappointed I didn’t get to hunt but my main concern was my pup. There will be many more trips and I didn’t want to chance losing my pup by hauling him all around. Showed Josey, my Walker Pup, a live Coon for the first time and he went nuts. Huge Mouth on him. Gonna have an insane locate. If he will fire off and progress like ROXY did I will be happy and he will have a home. I like him and think he’s gonna get it done. Will be planning a trip back to Illinois probably early December if I can catch a few days of decent weather that’s not bitter cold. Really want to hunt the big woods of Shawnee National Forest.

Posted by steve bankston on 12-16-2020 02:26 AM:

Mason’s First Deer

Mason hunted with me Saturday at the farm and killed his first deer, a big Doe, with my Colt AR-15. Dropped her in her tracks. 12-12-2020. We had fresh back strap for supper, he loves it. Rattlesnake Jake is growing like a bad weed. Extremely smart, bold, active pup. Really like him a lot. My Treeing Walker Pup, River Outlaw Josey Wales, just turned 7 months old and is coming along nicely. Big mouth on this beautiful pup. Bo and ROXY still treeing coons and we having fun. Road Trips coming up that I’m looking forward to. A week of hunting back in the Delta and Yazoo Refuge by myself and another trip back to Illinois hunting by myself with my hounds. Really enjoy hunting different places and hope to do even more of it next year. Maybe stay on the road a month or more. It’s nice hunting in big open woods with lots of coons and no underbrush. A welcome break from the stuff I hunt here at home.

Posted by steve bankston on 12-24-2020 01:21 AM:

Re: THE HUNT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve bankston
[B]

My Uncle Mel, pictured here 4 years ago, passed away last night. He was an ole Coonhunter of Blueticks many years ago. He came to a hunt with me and Mason near his house when these pictures got took. It was his last Coon Hunt. He’s in a much better place now than we are. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Posted by KYHoundDawg on 12-24-2020 03:31 PM:

Sorry for your loss Steve, I hope you all still have a Merry Christmas.