UKC Forums
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Anybody else having coon issues? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928554973)

Posted by KYBlue Cooner on 03-12-2024 11:57 PM:

Anybody else having coon issues?

Haven't seen a real live coon since February. Lots of running/hunting, hardly any good tracks, occasional den trees. Went last night and didn't even get a bark. Is anybody else having issues getting one stirred up? The dogs can and do tree coons, but for some reason March sucks for me...really bad. Young dog just came back from being hunted for a month and was cranking, treeing coons every night. Now he can't seem to find a track. Want to keep hunting him, but don't want to set him up for failure. He won't tree any in the kennel, so I guess I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Posted by houndsound on 03-13-2024 12:18 AM:

I think I've hurt young dogs pushing them too much when conditions weren't good. But it is a fine line to get it right.... of course finishing out young dogs was never my specialty.

Posted by MOcoondogs on 03-13-2024 02:44 AM:

We're still treeing coons here. Some dens, some on the outside. From the looks of the trail camera they are stirring early though. Try taking the young dog out just before dark, see if he picks up a hot track. And I agree with houndsound don't push too hard.

Posted by shadinc on 03-13-2024 04:04 AM:

My dog treed two last night. He went a mile to strike the first one and 1000 yards to strike the second one. Both cold tracks.

Posted by bsmith921 on 03-13-2024 04:09 AM:

Been seeing lots of coon in Illinois this past week.

Posted by Sonny Phipps on 03-13-2024 02:03 PM:

Not sure about the area you are in , but in scarce coon areas (not so much in Ohio) I’ve found them to move around to food source making them in “pockets” . Can get after one in one area , then a couple miles away you may see/tree a couple in short order. Just a thought

Posted by KYBlue Cooner on 03-13-2024 04:38 PM:

Central KY is where I am. Not much by way of food sources right now around here. Water is the best place with crawdads, frogs, fish, etc., just hard to find a place that hasn't been dogged to death since Oct 1. Ol coons get smart if they don't get killed around here. Rumor has it the sows are already denned up with kits, part of me is starting to believe it. I think something happened to our coon population this past year, too. Not seeing as many hit on the road, fewer being treed than normal. At least that's the case where I hunt. Could also be a lack of dog power on my part!

Posted by Georgeb on 03-13-2024 06:09 PM:

Coons arent thick where i live and march and late feb have been slower than normal. But its always been that way here for whatever the reason.Im treeing a coon alot of the times but sometimes i dont.May sound dumb but when i have a bad night and my hound hunts hard and dont say a word or walk me to a slick tree i still go home kinda satisfied .Thats the kind of bad night you want to have instead of making slick trees and running deer,fox,coyote etc.ha.Here in Tn TWRA and turkey hunters are at war with coons.Coons seem to be the only reason the turkey population is down to them.Ive heard of contest similar to meat hunts where who brings in the most dead coons wins no matter how you kill them.Theyve raised the kill limits and made the seasons longer.I hope coonhunters arent dumb enuff to fall for their plan to kill the coons out.Sadly alot are.All the other predators that kill turkeys dont seem to enter there minds.Im sure hawks ,owls,bobcats,foxes,and others kill more turkeys than coons.

Posted by Melblank on 03-14-2024 01:10 AM:

I live in the same region you do and march is always tough. Breeding season is done so coons aren’t traveling and yes females are staying close to food since they are pregnant. Good exercise for the dogs though.

Posted by Georgeb on 03-14-2024 01:34 AM:

Coons sure were fat and healthy in my part of TN this year.And had the best squirrel population ive seen in 4 yrs.Thats what a good acorn crop will do for you.More acorns this year than ive ever seen.Now if the squirrels would stay out of the road there should be some to tree next year.Cant figure out why they like the road.Had a fun winter this year.Hate to see it end.

Posted by buster34 on 03-14-2024 12:45 PM:

it was up and down for me in michigan for the month of february. alot of tough tracks through out the month. ended up with 31 coons seen, 27 dens, and 12 misses. they seem to be out and about more the last couple weeks

Posted by JOE H BROOKS on 03-24-2024 09:12 AM:

Coons

I don't have very many coons around here, too many killing them right now when they are haveing their young, after a while there ain't much, left, to run, dead coons don't leave any tracks. And food is hard to come by for coons, this time of the year, i would put out feeder buckets, with dog feed in them, it makes more coons, to train a young dog with.

Posted by BrandonZadina on 03-24-2024 02:32 PM:

Finally started moving here

Coons didn't seem to be moving at my location in SW Nebraska up until the first week of March. I have a young dog that is 10 months old I am hunting. I kept hauling him for exercise through the tough times, worked on the basics and routine of getting out there. Fast forward to the third week of March he is treeing and finding coons with a intensity he had yet to show me. Cut him loose now and expect him to get treed or have one caught in short order. Time and patience paid off for this one.

Past:
'PR' Blue Freaky Ghost
NITECH CH 'PR' Neosho River Amos
GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Nocturnal Bo
GRCH 'PR' Green River Katrina