UKC Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Coon Hunting in Michigan? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928523342)

Posted by trevorwade09 on 10-18-2019 03:18 PM:

Coon Hunting in Michigan?

Alright, we have fallen on quieter times and I'm chomping at the bit to start treeing a few. What's the low down on the Michigan coon hunting scene, specifically the southwest part of the state? Good state land to hunt? How does snow affect the coon hunting? What do I need to know?
Finally going to get my hunting license when I get off work today!

Posted by Nick B on 10-18-2019 05:21 PM:

I lived there for a while, but did not Coon Hunt then.

I really regret that. There was a decent amount of public land, lots of farms that kept coon well fed, and low pressure. I saw a lot of large roadkill coon. They seemed to be everywhere. They were all over my trail cameras when I was looking for deer.

Posted by Corey Gruver on 10-18-2019 05:24 PM:

You will have fun once you secure some places to hunt Trevor. It was nothing to see 15+ coon on an evening out this time of the year when I lived in the Mitten. Sure do miss that kind of population density.

Posted by Larry Hall on 10-18-2019 09:06 PM:

Trevorwade09

You can buy a Non Resident Michigan hunting license and fur harversters stamp for like $166.00. You also have to buy a one time sportsman card for $1.00 one time if you don't lose it.. I'm on like 4 of them..

Their statewide Kill season comes in Oct 1 and there is great public hunting available in the state. Back in the old days you could not hunt until your states open season started, but with the no value coon market they changed that up a few years ago.

I hunt Michigan frequently as a non resident, probably made 10 trips up this year already. I try and be very respectful of the local guys as I can understand their heart burn with us out of towners sometimes.

You can and will tree a bunch of coon.. I do not shoot nearly all I tree.. Hunted state ground in MI last night, made 5 trees, saw 8 coons and saw another two laid up around a slough walking to trees.. Killed 3 coons in a two hour hunt. Typically only kill one or two a night in this early season as the fur is just starting to look decent.
But my knot head did some really good dog work last night and he got an extra from the tall oaks.

Going to be hunting there again tonight and expect about the same.. It's great hunting, some of it is rough as a cob and a lot of water, so be prepared, but it's full of coons.

I'd recommend you google the Allegan state game area near Allegan, MI 40,000 plus acres of pretty decent coon hunting and a good hour south of the Porcupine belt. Good motels and restaurants
reasonably close.

Good luck and please be cordial and considerate of the local hunters as access to private ground is shrinking so rapidly up here it's almost scary..

Posted by trevorwade09 on 10-18-2019 09:28 PM:

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear, I actually moved up here from Tennessee. I now live in Gobles, Michigan now, about 12 minutes from that Allegan SGA. Next time you come up here hunting, holler at me, I'd love to tag along. Teach me the ropes on where to hunt and where to stay away from up there!

Posted by Richard Lambert on 10-18-2019 09:53 PM:

Doesn't one of the most experienced coon hunters in the country work right next to you? Can't you talk him into showing you a couple of his secret spots?

Posted by Nick B on 10-19-2019 12:57 AM:

I lived in South Haven

And treed myself in pursuit of deer all over that SGA. The game warden is active there. Particularly near the big no hunting block. I really wish I had been a coon hunter back then.

Posted by bludog29 on 10-21-2019 05:23 PM:

I live in Gobles

My name's Jason. Hit me up if u want to get together. 269-569-5516. Text is best

Posted by trevorwade09 on 10-21-2019 07:44 PM:

Awesome Jason! I will take you up on that.

Richard, Allen and his red dogs put a hurtin on the coon population up here. Don't want to go to his spots, it'll be like cutting loose in southeast Tennessee