UKC Forums Pages (18): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Show all 445 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Off Topic (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=53)
-- The Gardening Thread (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928447717)

Posted by GA DAWG on 05-03-2016 05:22 PM:

No your still southern in Lawrenceburg tn. Its pushing it though lol. Actually my parent had a farm in petersburg tn for a while. I liked it up there. Not Petersburg in particular it was to rocky for me and water looked stagnated but the out skirts was nice.

Posted by Rex Ridge on 05-27-2016 04:10 AM:

So how's everyone's gardens doing? Jen, Did u start ur tomatoes in egg shells?
Chuck said no garden for us this yr. Not sure if he'll cave on that decision. I usually have my plants bought by now, but don't plant until after Memorial Day. Its suppose to be in the 80's through the wknd so if we had plants, it would. probably be safe to get them out. My asparagus is doing well. Really prefer the purple over the green, it is so much sweeter. I eat it while I'm cutting it. We had a late frost and thought it got r apples and blueberries, but the blueberries have lots of blossoms. And some of the apple trees had blossoms after the frost so might get some of them, too. Pretty sad to have 50-+ fruit trees and not get any fruit.

Posted by croatankid on 05-27-2016 06:04 AM:

Rex, Where do you live? I live central coast nc. I lost my blueberries, my figs, and my plums. I intend to protect them next year. All my ideas require a lot of effort. Do you plan to protect your plants/trees? If so, how?

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 05-27-2016 03:57 PM:

No I just left them in the containers they were already in but crushed up a bunch of shells and sprinkled them around the seedlings . I am so proud of them just got the last of them transplanted this week . I had so many plants that they wouldn't all fit in the tomato bed so I put part of them in the landscaping along the house . The rest of the little garden is coming up nicely this week I also thinned the beets and carrots and also planted more lettuce , cilantro for salsa then some parsley by the tomatoes as a companion plant . The beets I thinned out I couldn't bring myself to throw out so I transplanted them in any bare spot they would fit . I've never transplanted a beet and idk if it will work . Our 3 yr old grandson has been helping me and having a blast working with nana in the garden and nana is enjoying teaching him about the garden and natures bounty .
Rex Ridge go get you a few plants this weekend working in the dirt is good for the soul !

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Rex Ridge on 05-27-2016 08:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
Rex, Where do you live? I live central coast nc. I lost my blueberries, my figs, and my plums. I intend to protect them next year. All my ideas require a lot of effort. Do you plan to protect your plants/trees? If so, how?

We live in NW PA. Don't do anything to.protect from
frost. Good news...we just walked through the orchard and all.is not lost. But Chuck has to decide if there's enough there to make it worth time and $ to spray. Deer do.don't seem to mind if they're wormy. So.might just be deer food.

Posted by Rex Ridge on 06-06-2016 04:33 AM:

R ur transplanted beets growing?
Chuck's dad started his own watermelon plants, he didn't think they were going to grow so he bought and planted some from the greenhouse and then the ones he started came up so he brought us up 9 plants. Chuck told me "no" garden but wouldn't tell his 86 yo dad that delivered plants that. So we planted a little garden yesterday. Only 6 tomatoes, 8 cabbage and pepper plants, the watermelon and some cantaloupe plants. Probably going to plant cucumber and zucchini seeds yet, if I don't forget to get some. Daddy always said to plant cucumbers on the longest day of the yr. They're supposed to do better, but we never seem to have much luck with them.
Getting lots of asparagus. ..almost too much.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-06-2016 07:48 PM:

Beets looked wilty for first few days but are doing good now so experiment worked. Tomatoes are doing really well & new lettuce is coming up. I'm ready for wilted lettuce w/ bacon! Got tiny squashes growing so won't be long on some fried squash either.
Rex Ridge glad you got to put a little garden in!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Rex Ridge on 06-06-2016 08:46 PM:

Mmmmm...I love wilted lettuce with bacon. Mom always had boiled potatoes and eggs with it. Would do dandelion or spinach the same way. My husband won't eat it so I haven't had it for yrs.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-06-2016 09:40 PM:

Chey used to not eat it but he has come around. He still won't eat fresh tomatoes but will eat fried green ones. I've got all those heirloom plants growing and several are different colors so I think it will make some cool looking salsa.
When things get growing everyone feel free to share recipes.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by yadkintar on 06-09-2016 11:06 PM:

Got all my beets picked in buckets in the kitchen wife's going to can beet pickles going to have some for supper tonight.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-10-2016 04:17 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Got all my beets picked in buckets in the kitchen wife's going to can beet pickles going to have some for supper tonight.

Sounds delicious, mine aren't ready yet. I planted 2 kinds bull's blood and then one that's a candy stripe. Got blooms on the squash and 1 tomatoe plant along with a few on the cucumbers.
Dream dinner in few weeks something barbecued, cucumbers & onions in vinegar, fried squash & okra, green beans w/ new potatoes and a big ol sliced mater.
Rex Ridge we had some wilted lettuce couple of nights ago.
Everyone, Cheyenne and I are headed to Mansfield next weekend for a hunt and are going by Baker's Creek Company Pioneer Village. If anyone needs us to look for any certain rare seeds let me know that place has every old variety you can think of.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-12-2016 02:27 AM:

Japanese beetles are back I hate these things! Picking them off of plants tonight and hanging the beetle traps. They haven't started on the veg garden but are eating in my flowers.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by yadkintar on 06-12-2016 02:35 AM:

When we had to put my wife's folks in the retirement home I found a full case of the high octane old malathion it don't take very little to a gallon of water.

Posted by Rex Ridge on 06-12-2016 06:35 AM:

Haven't seen any beetles here yet, they usually go for the blueberries first. We had to haul water to the garden tonight, first thing Chuck said was "no garden next yr" 😊 He says that at least once a yr. The garden isn't looking too good, but r hay field is. While watering the garden, we saw 2 deer run through r newly seeded field into the one we reseeded 2 yrs ago. We saw their heads when they first went in then nothing. It's mostly orchard grass and it's really tall. We would have mowed it if they could get a forecast right. They can stick their Doppler radar where the sun don't shine....the forecasts couldn't get much less accurate.

Posted by Rex Ridge on 06-20-2016 05:07 AM:

How are ur gardens doing? Chuck ran the rototiller and I hoed this AM. The deer are doing a # on the cabbage. Last yr, they trashed the garden. That was the first time since we planted a garden here...over 20 yrs. Hope we're not in for a repeat trashing.

Posted by rmcmillan on 06-20-2016 12:03 PM:

WIFE AND DAUGHTER PLATED GARDEN AND ITS STARTING TO LOOK DECENT, MATERS GETTING TALLER NO BLOOMS YET. PEPPERS LOOK GOOD. CUCUMBERS COMING ALONG. LETTUCE IS A LITTLE SLOW. MY PUMPKINS, WELL WE WILL SEE.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-20-2016 06:46 PM:

rmcmillan you plan on selling pumpkins? I've been telling Chey for years if they would let me turn the little hay field in the bottom into a pumpkin patch I could make s killing! I've thought of a little pumpkin patch where they could pick their own, hay rides behind the tractor and petting zoo for the kids. I took the grandson to one last year but had to drive 2 hrs to get there. Of course I can also see myself selling my no gmo organic heirloom vegetables on the side of the street in our little town. So far they are chemical free but if these beetles invade my garden I would have to leave the organic part out lol. Cheyenne tells me I would have to buy them from somebody else to be able to sell, I think he is insulting my abilities! I think he just doesn't want to make my little garden bigger it would take up space that he grows grass just to mow. He has a thing about yards, I have a thing about gardens.
Really looking into this bee thing does anyone else keep bees? We've had a lot of clover on the farm and I've picked out a spot for a couple of hives.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by Rex Ridge on 06-20-2016 08:22 PM:

Jen did u ever try diatomaceous earth on beetles? Its organic and I read its good for slugs not sure about anything else.
We use to plant xtra plants in the garden and sell it. Could always sell a few pumpkins...not many, but theres a ton of places to buy them around here. One woman always wanted to buy cornstalks for fall decorations.
We planted cucumbers today. Never did find any zucchini (seeds or plants). My mom said Sunday at the graduation party that she heard on the news that people were grinding up 3 different kind of seeds and using them to get high on...zucchini was one, so they pulled them from stores. There were at least a dozen people heard her say that and no one else heard it so not sure mom got the story right.

Posted by rmcmillan on 06-21-2016 02:20 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
rmcmillan you plan on selling pumpkins? I've been telling Chey for years if they would let me turn the little hay field in the bottom into a pumpkin patch I could make s killing! I've thought of a little pumpkin patch where they could pick their own, hay rides behind the tractor and petting zoo for the kids. I took the grandson to one last year but had to drive 2 hrs to get there. Of course I can also see myself selling my no gmo organic heirloom vegetables on the side of the street in our little town. So far they are chemical free but if these beetles invade my garden I would have to leave the organic part out lol. Cheyenne tells me I would have to buy them from somebody else to be able to sell, I think he is insulting my abilities! I think he just doesn't want to make my little garden bigger it would take up space that he grows grass just to mow. He has a thing about yards, I have a thing about gardens.
Really looking into this bee thing does anyone else keep bees? We've had a lot of clover on the farm and I've picked out a spot for a couple of hives.
Jen

NO, BUT THATS A GOOD IDEA. I HAVE THEM GROWING ALL ALONG A POWER LINE THAT RUNS THROUGH MY PROPERTY. GOING TO BUST THEM UP FOR DEER. EVERYONE TELLS ME THEY LOVE THEM. MY KIDS AND NEIGHBOR KIDS WILL ALL GET A FEW.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-22-2016 10:43 PM:

I've used DE on my garden and always put some on the tomatoes for the calcium but will give it a try on the roses and four o'clocks, their favorite food right now. We are out of town for a hunt so the kids are in charge at home I'm sure there will be no bug picking or watering going on for the next few days, I just hope it's all still alive when I get home. When I go to the seed place I will pick you up a couple of packs of zucchini and mail to you. They use anything to get high so who knows.
I've never heard of pumpkins for deer if it works let us know, my son LOVES to deer hunt he may want to add pumpkins to his deer plot.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by Rex Ridge on 06-23-2016 05:14 AM:

Jen, One pack would be plenty if u find some. One yr, I planted a pack of yellow and one of green...we had so many that I was giving them to my sister for her ringnecks and peacocks (they don't have them anymore) and my friend for her chickens.
My FIL use to pay Corey a penny per potato bug.
I talked Chuck into planting different kind of sunflowers with sweetcorn a couple of yrs ago. It was great for deer and birds. It was right behind the house so I enjoyed watching all the birds in the winter coming in to chow down.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-29-2016 07:33 PM:

Gonna pickle some beets today and headed to go blackberry picking this evening. Cobbler tomorrow and may make some blackberry jam. I picked 4 cucumbers lol guess I won't be making any pickles this week maybe enough for a little bowl of cucumbers and onions in vinegar tonight.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Posted by yadkintar on 06-29-2016 09:35 PM:

Picking okra, squash and a few tomatoes and cucumbers sure is good it's getting dry already !!

Posted by Rex Ridge on 06-30-2016 03:34 AM:

We have some blossums. It will be awhile before we get anything and if the deer keep getting into it, we probably won't get squat. Came home tonight and a doe with twin fawns were in the back yd. I thought about going to the flea market and buying some of those pinwheel things to put in it. Does anyone have any ideas? We used hair in knee highs in our trees when we first started our orchard, but it didn't work very well.
Jen, did u find any zucchini seeds?

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 06-30-2016 04:09 AM:

We are going to Mansfield next week while chey's on vacation gonna take a day trip. We spent all last week at a hunt and were to tired to stop on our way home Sunday. I am sure they have them that place has thousands of varieties of vegetables. You want yellow or green?

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP