UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 70 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Where do you think coon hunting will be 15 years from now. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928410651)

Posted by Billy Beckham on 03-01-2015 04:12 PM:

Where do you think coon hunting will be 15 years from now.

Look at the changes we have had since the 90's. Do you think there will be much left of this sport?

PKC CH, GRNITECH Beckham's Hillbilly Bones

Posted by rthompson on 03-01-2015 04:59 PM:

Well all i know is try your best to keep on good terms with land owners. there are alot of good people out there who remember hunting with ol dad and like to see people doing thing the way they used to. as far as laws go all we can do is vote. if we would do more like cancer benifit hunts and fundraisers instead of fighting with each other it wouldnt hurt either there is always more we can do i mean look at swamp people they put what they do on tv and everybody loves them for it.

Posted by blackflagginit on 03-01-2015 08:38 PM:

Re: Where do you think coon hunting will be 15 years from now.

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Beckham
Look at the changes we have had since the 90's. Do you think there will be much left of this sport?

most likely illegal sadly.

*billy jack

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

Posted by Bob Hennessey on 03-01-2015 10:53 PM:

For myself in 15 years I'll probably have to slow a little being I'll be 90.

You can't fix STUPID!

Posted by GLANCY'S 7 MILE on 03-01-2015 11:08 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by rthompson
Well all i know is try your best to keep on good terms with land owners. there are alot of good people out there who remember hunting with ol dad and like to see people doing thing the way they used to. as far as laws go all we can do is vote. if we would do more like cancer benifit hunts and fundraisers instead of fighting with each other it wouldnt hurt either there is always more we can do i mean look at swamp people they put what they do on tv and everybody loves them for it.

NICELY SAID!!!

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Posted by shadinc on 03-01-2015 11:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by The Seeker
For myself in 15 years I'll probably have to slow a little being I'll be 90.
I'll help you along I'll, only be 86.

Posted by Jim Lewis Clark on 03-02-2015 01:49 AM:

I am glad to see people is still coonhunting in there 80,90..I told my wife I could make it to 7o I would be happy.. I started back in 1968 ..If dog hunters work together I beleive the sports will last for along time..

Posted by hillbilly56 on 03-02-2015 03:05 AM:

id say in 15 yrs you will be lucky to have ground to hunt on as the yrs go by the people will be worse on letting people on thier ground some right now go plum nut's if a dog get's on thier property another thing in 15 yrs i won't be worrying about it if im still here my health probly be so bad i probly won't be able to hunt it's a shame these day's trying to find ground that people will let you hunt on now day's hope it turns for the good but i don't see that happening jmo

Posted by markknepp on 03-02-2015 03:05 AM:

Other then cooler tracking systems and better lights I haven't noticed any changes in the last five years. Not expecting to much for the next five either.

Posted by dchartt on 03-02-2015 03:27 AM:

drones will be treeing coon for us

Posted by rthompson on 03-02-2015 05:57 PM:

I was watchin some outdoor tv and they had deer farmers on there raising deer to sell to farms to help genetics like cattle. this got me thinkin why dont coon hunters do things like this if they do ive never heard of it. i think its a neat idea you know raise coons vaccinate them for distemper and rabies keep the females and turn the boars loose in your hunting woods. im sure youd have to have permits but i think it would be worth it. something worth thinkin about.

Posted by hillbilly56 on 03-02-2015 06:17 PM:

don't know about other states but here in wv it is not legal to have wildlife in captivity they will fine you not sure if ya get jail time or not but that is a good idea

Posted by rthompson on 03-02-2015 06:29 PM:

Here you can have a permit to raise domestic coon was just thinkin a guy could raise the litters seperate boars and release them just like quail or deer.

Posted by GA DAWG on 03-02-2015 07:07 PM:

I use to think wed go on forever. I never thought Id see ukc stand with hsus either. So it very well may be gone in 15yrs for yall. Im nto stopping. I use to say the same thing about chicken fighting though. Every generation born turns out to be more and more tree hugger city fied types. Would not surprize for it to become illegal. They believe animals have more rights than people.

Posted by cameronk on 03-02-2015 07:17 PM:

15 years from now... I hope we are still able to free cast hounds and able to enjoy hunting. I also hope the government stays out of how we raise dogs and these anti-tethering bills go away.

The way I see it we have far greater concerns than turning loose coon. Coon are one adaptable animal. If they can find food, water, and shelter they can survive. Disease may knock them back for a few years, but give them time and their numbers will rebound.

I am more concerned about anti-tethering bills, HSUS, PETA, coon hunters putting inappropriate videos and photos on the internet, and loss of hunting habitat. This is the kind of stuff that poses a real threat to us!

Posted by berger on 03-02-2015 07:27 PM:

It will be stronger then it is today. Social media can hurt the hunters but a news media paid by lobbyist can do a lot more damage. Social media can put the facts and info. out there that the news media never would. Be vary cautious of joining an Assoc. that believes you need to pussy foot around the enemy to defeat them the enemy will then be embolden and destroy you. When this country and it citizens gets enough of it's freedom taken from them they will stand up go against and defy there lobbiest, media and government to take back there freedom that was taken from them.

319-201-8445

Posted by hillbilly56 on 03-02-2015 07:41 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
I use to think wed go on forever. I never thought Id see ukc stand with hsus either. So it very well may be gone in 15yrs for yall. Im nto stopping. I use to say the same thing about chicken fighting though. Every generation born turns out to be more and more tree hugger city fied types. Would not surprize for it to become illegal. They believe animals have more rights than people.
X2 totaly agree

Posted by on 03-02-2015 07:45 PM:

I think it will still be going strong.

Posted by hillbilly56 on 03-02-2015 07:50 PM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
I think it will still be going strong.
i hope that your right on that bruce and while im on here i really like the stuff i ordered from y'all i still need to order my carring holster for my garmin great service

Posted by rmcmillan on 03-02-2015 07:57 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly56
don't know about other states but here in wv it is not legal to have wildlife in captivity they will fine you not sure if ya get jail time or not but that is a good idea

SAME HERE IN THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MARYLAND. I THINK SOME OF THE COON CLUBS HAVE TROUBLE GETTING A PERMIT FOR A LIVE COON AT FIELD TRIALS. GUESS THE BLEEDING HEART ANIMAL LOVERS ENDED THAT.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Posted by GA DAWG on 03-02-2015 08:18 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by rmcmillan
SAME HERE IN THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MARYLAND. I THINK SOME OF THE COON CLUBS HAVE TROUBLE GETTING A PERMIT FOR A LIVE COON AT FIELD TRIALS. GUESS THE BLEEDING HEART ANIMAL LOVERS ENDED THAT.
We cant get a coon in the deep south in Ga at all and aint been able to in yrs and yrs

Posted by shadinc on 03-02-2015 08:27 PM:

We've come a long way since "coon on a log"

Posted by rthompson on 03-02-2015 09:11 PM:

Im not talking about feild trials or treeing contest just raisin litters out of domestic coons and turnin them loose to get wild. and if you immunized them it would cut down on distemper and such.

Posted by H. L. Meyer on 03-02-2015 10:33 PM:

shadinc

We've come a long way since "coon on a log"..... Well Let's see. Back then we had well I would say 40 to 50 dogs in a club hunt now lucky to have 10 , maybe 2 or 3 "gnc" there now "gnc" under every bush, dogs that treed coons not trees, plenty of land to hunt on never saw a posted sigh, NO SLICK handlers, and men that were men. in closing I bet there are not over 30 people on this board that has EVER been to a COON ON THE LOG contest. And no body I mean no body had ever heard of "peta". Yep we have come a long ways. And I'm glad to have made the trip. Hope I am wrong BUT 15 years from now this will only be a memory or even maybe a nightmare, JUST look where we are now compared to a year ago.

Posted by shadinc on 03-02-2015 10:44 PM:

Fifty years ago you couldn't have made anybody believe we could no longer have coon on a log contest.