UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 29 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- As a general rule... (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928535969)

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 01-12-2021 08:02 PM:

As a general rule...

I know all dogs are different but as a general rule does killing more coons to a trained hound help it or is it just a pleasure for the Hunter's satisfaction.

Posted by Corey Gruver on 01-12-2021 08:15 PM:

Personally, I think it just depends on the individual dog.

Posted by Dogwhisper on 01-12-2021 10:15 PM:

"killing more coon to a trained hound"
...is a waste.....but hey some people just gotta have that 300 quote or they just ain't satisfied

Posted by houndsound on 01-12-2021 10:16 PM:

I do not think it helps a finished dog... and does very little for one once they are started good.

Posted by Rick St.Clair on 01-12-2021 10:58 PM:

If the person shooting the coon out doesn't know if the dog needs it or not, I don't know how any one else is supposed to know.

Posted by Rocketman55 on 01-12-2021 11:00 PM:

I think it depends on what your hound is used for. If you are pleasure hunting, (only) I don't believe a seasoned hound needs a lot of coon down to them, Say maybe one of 10 that you see.

But if you are comp hunting, that same dog needs more reason to push its body to the fullest. Thus it is (my opinion) that a dog needs a REAL reason such as being rewarded with a coon, to fully push it's body and mind to hunt for, pursue, and stay treed, with an overpowers desire to actually be accurate when barking up a tree.

Yes without a coon for reward, a dog will still run and tree, but may not give its fullest effort to do ALL THING RIGHT like they have to do to be successful in comp hunting

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Posted by DocAcumen on 01-13-2021 12:17 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver

I am sure that is a good point.

But , what do the PRO handlers do , or what do the owners of them dogs see as the Ideal method?

As there are guys out there on the road for weeks pushing a hound . that is the next big thing , or at the least trying to make it so!

How long can them hounds go without some meat , or at the lest a doggie biscuit at the tree? And , still hold all the pressure that can be?

AKA , Stay HOOKED on the tree they chose ....
AS 3 other dogs are either running wide open , or on there own tree at the same time!!!!

Be nice to hear what the owners , trainers , Pro handlers have to say about that?

Posted by RedCreek Hunter on 01-13-2021 12:37 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver

I’ve had dogs that had to have coons to stay in tune, I’ve had a select few that you couldn’t kill coons to cause they were such tree dogs they’d slick you to death if you fed them coons cause they’d get way too wound up and then I’ve had dogs that could care less if you ever rolled one out to them. They were always the same. Just had to know what I had at the time. Personally I like the last of the three I listed best and those usually stayed til they died at my place.

Posted by DL NH on 01-13-2021 02:15 AM:

If you have to feed them coon to keep them treeing coon you don’t have much of a coon dog. I believe it is more of when you give them an occasional coon then how many you give them.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 01-13-2021 02:48 AM:

I don't like a dog that falls apart when it gets coons knocked out. I also don't like a dog that needs coons all the time.

If it's good enough, it doesn't matter how many coons you knock out.

Posted by MARSHALL AYERS on 01-13-2021 03:28 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
"killing more coon to a trained hound"
...is a waste.....but hey some people just gotta have that 300 quote or they just ain't satisfied

300? In a season? Holy hell! I haven’t killed 300 in the last 10 years.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Posted by Donnie Stevens on 01-13-2021 03:35 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rick St.Clair
If the person shooting the coon out doesn't know if the dog needs it or not, I don't know how any one else is supposed to know.

👍

Posted by AveryCreek on 01-13-2021 06:39 PM:

I like what my Dad always told me. Shoot one out occasionally once they are a finished dog, but if they have a coon just pet them up and tell them what a good dog they are and scold them when they are wrong. I would much rather be scratched on the head or belly than have old ricky chew on my face!

Posted by AveryCreek on 01-13-2021 06:39 PM:

I like what my Dad always told me. Shoot one out occasionally once they are a finished dog, but if they have a coon just pet them up and tell them what a good dog they are and scold them when they are wrong. I would much rather be scratched on the head or belly than have old ricky chew on my face!

Posted by D Seals on 01-14-2021 05:54 AM:

I’ve always looked at it this way. I don’t work for free. I don’t expect my dogs to either. Regardless of age or ability.

Posted by Ron Ashbaugh on 01-14-2021 12:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by D Seals
I’ve always looked at it this way. I don’t work for free. I don’t expect my dogs to either. Regardless of age or ability.

Oh lord, ive read this same statement since the day i started 25 years ago. Its unreal to me that any person believes that a coonhound views going hunting as "work"....oh stop it. Any good dog i ever had lived and breathed to go hunting. They didnt need any kind of reward for doing so.

All of us do things we love or are wired to do simply because we enjoy it or its just part of our dna...dogs are the same. They dont count or keep score or require a reward. They do its because it is what they are. No more no less. I never shoot coons and my dog quivers in excitement the moment it sees my light.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Posted by North Creek on 01-14-2021 12:54 PM:

Killing coonc

During kill season in these mountains if my pup trees it I will shoot it to him a coon dog wants to kill coons not just tree them. (In my opinion that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee)

Posted by Triple K Kennel on 01-14-2021 01:35 PM:

Re: Killing coonc

quote:
Originally posted by North Creek
During kill season in these mountains if my pup trees it I will shoot it to him a coon dog wants to kill coons not just tree them. (In my opinion that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee)

I agree 100%....!!!
If its an old dog....say 9 years+ then maybe not every Coon.....but a younger dog will get every Coon it will tree.
Our Reward going to a treed dog is seeing the Coon and their's is getting the Coon.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Posted by Dan&Ann on 01-14-2021 03:10 PM:

My two cents!

I would say a lot of this would have to do with how thick or thin your coon are in that area. My rule is if I have to swim across a river or beaver pond to get to the tree he is gonna get the lead...

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 01-14-2021 03:43 PM:

This is why I love this site so much! Seems like everyone on here sees it differently and I enjoy all the different opinions and views and usually nobody gets to upset. Sometimes it don't make sense to me but this is America and everyone has the right to be wrong even me.lol👍

Posted by Preacher Tom on 01-14-2021 04:24 PM:

I have a really nice young dog that doesn't really care about a dead coon much. Maybe mouth it a little and walk off. Don't see how killing coon to him is going to help.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 01-14-2021 09:06 PM:

Re: My two cents!

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
I would say a lot of this would have to do with how thick or thin your coon are in that area. My rule is if I have to swim across a river or beaver pond to get to the tree he is gonna get the lead...

I turned loose at our cabin one time a few years ago, and had a young dog go the wrong direction and get treed right in the middle of the neighbors deer camp about 1 am. When I pulled up he was already pretty mad, so I just parked my buggy between the hunter and my dog and got out and shot the coon before he could start giving me a hard time.

He was pretty peeved until I explained to him that I didnt want to tree it again.

We're still friends and to this day he lets me hunt on his land when hes not deer hunting.

Posted by DL NH on 01-14-2021 09:29 PM:

It amazes me how deer hunters in many ways know so little about what does and doesn’t drive deer out of an area. Can’t begin to tell you the number of times I’ve seen where deer will just go a short ways and bed back down or return to feeding if they are NOT BEING CHASED BY DOGS.

This business of believing that hounds running coon, bear, coyote, fox, rabbit or hare scares the deer off is for the most part a bunch of crap.

Heck for the last 3 weeks I’ve had 3-6 deer every night coming within 20-30 feet of my beagle kennels to feed on acorns on the ground.

Posted by shadinc on 01-15-2021 12:39 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ashbaugh
Oh lord, ive read this same statement since the day i started 25 years ago. Its unreal to me that any person believes that a coonhound views going hunting as "work"....oh stop it. Any good dog i ever had lived and breathed to go hunting. They didnt need any kind of reward for doing so.

All of us do things we love or are wired to do simply because we enjoy it or its just part of our dna...dogs are the same. They dont count or keep score or require a reward. They do its because it is what they are. No more no less. I never shoot coons and my dog quivers in excitement the moment it sees my light.

Dammit, I wanted to write this.

Posted by Reuben on 01-15-2021 02:38 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
It amazes me how deer hunters in many ways know so little about what does and doesn’t drive deer out of an area. Can’t begin to tell you the number of times I’ve seen where deer will just go a short ways and bed back down or return to feeding if they are NOT BEING CHASED BY DOGS.

This business of believing that hounds running coon, bear, coyote, fox, rabbit or hare scares the deer off is for the most part a bunch of crap.

Heck for the last 3 weeks I’ve had 3-6 deer every night coming within 20-30 feet of my beagle kennels to feed on acorns on the ground.

I have walked around bedded deer just so they didn't get up...and they won't pay the dogs any attention whatsoever...deer hunters just don't get it...