UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 33 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- how to stop a dogs ear from bleeding (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=475199)

Posted by Bingshounds on 01-14-2012 03:35 AM:

how to stop a dogs ear from bleeding

My female took a big chunk out of her ear and i cant get it to stop bleeding i tried flour and it bled right through what do you guys use?

Posted by Ky Hound on 01-14-2012 03:41 AM:

SUPER GLUE BUT WASH WITH COLD WATER and good soap FIRST

Ty Gray - Office : 606-379-1847 / Cell : 606-492-9252

Somerset, Ky

HEAD BACK NAILS DUG IN BELLY UP
TREED WITH THE MEAT
Tree Dogs are for show COON DOGS Have The MEAT.
I use and recommend GARMIN TRACKING EQUIPMENT & BRIGHT EYES LIGHTS.

Posted by JMollett on 01-14-2012 03:45 AM:

Squeez it tight with your hand. Put a small tourniquet on it if you can. Don't leave it on longer than a few minutes at a time. Take it off for a few seconds and put it back on.
If you can put a Hemostat behind the vessel's that is bleeding, just to stop the blood so you can see what your doing. Rinse it off with peroxide or sterile saline.
I like to use Silver nitrate sticks to cauterize the bleeding vessel's. Works good, hurts for a minute if you don't have lidocaine.
If that don't work use Blood stop powder. It works pretty good as an alternative.
I just had the ordeal, not a few nights ago. Ears Bleed Fast and forever.
Don't Panic! It will eventually stop.
If you have Skin Glue call Gluture, you can use it to stop the bleeding. I use it a lot for small cut's.
If nothing else works put a stitch in it if you are comfortable or a staple.
I hope you have some topical Lidocaine to numb the nerve resceptors.
Make sure she is muzzled.
If nothing works take her to a Vet.
If a Vet isn't an option and she is still bleeding, tourniquet it off, dry it off real good and take a Hot Iron and touch to it. A Woman's curling iron will work if it get's hot enough. I've seen a couple guys do it, but I personally have always had the right stuff to get the bleeding to stop.
Don't forget to get her started on antibiotics due to infection. Anti-Robe is best but prescription. If you can't get any good stuff from a vet get some Dura-Pen from TSC and give her a 3 cc shot of Penicillin.
If she lost a lot of blood, give her Vitamin B12 for at least 5 days.
She will need it to rebuild RBC(Red blood cell's)
And put some Molasses that you get from the grocery store in the syrup aisle and put in her water. has a lot of iron and that will be needed to build blood.
Best of luck and hope things turn out well.
If you need anything else just ask.
What do you have to work with??
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Posted by 8hawg on 01-14-2012 03:49 AM:

grease, direct pressure. like stated above clean it well. I had to take mine into the vet just a couple days ago for stitchs on the ear

Posted by JMollett on 01-14-2012 03:53 AM:

Just wanted to comment real quick about super glue.
I'm not arguing with you guy's, but I believe this is a bad idea.
The super glue has toxins in it that can mess with the blood production in us as well as animals.
Gluture is glue, but toxin free.
You have to remember if the vessel or vein is bleeding and you put glue on it, you are exposing the glue directly to the blood stream.
Washing it good is an excellent Idea! The bleeding is expelling any foreign bacteria that protruded into the blood stream.
Thanks again,
Best of luck.
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Posted by 8hawg on 01-14-2012 03:59 AM:

JMollet

I hope you stay around on these message boards for a while. It's always good to have a Vet on hand around these coon hounds. Plus so far your rates have been reasonable.

Posted by JMollett on 01-14-2012 04:32 AM:

8hawg,
I'll be around for as long as I'm live and able.
I'm not a Vet yet, but will be soon in the future.
Helping the animal is my best interest, but also helping fellow houndsman is also something that I prefer to do because TOO many vet's take advantage. Especially on office calls,etc..Is it really necessary to charge $45/a visit. No it's not.
So I'm for the people, not for making people broke.
Thanks glad to see someone appreciates my advice. I only try and help when I can!
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Posted by Rolin Blues on 01-14-2012 04:40 AM:

Blood Stop

I've used it for years. Got it for cattle scratches, but works great for dog wounds. Just get a bottle at Vets' office & put in dog box. I fill an aspirin bottle & carry it in pouch or hunting jacket so I have it in the woods while hunting. Take care, Ron.

Posted by Ky Hound on 01-14-2012 04:47 AM:

JMOLLETT i had no idea about glue hurting the blood stream. But thanks for the info. I always carry a tube with me in the woods because you never know when one is going to get cut in the middle of no where. But if the glue you mention works as good as super glue then ill be carryng it from now on. The main thing i like about super glue is the fast dry so you dont have to hold the dog still for hours. I have fixed a bunch with it with no problems but it only takes one time to mess something up i guess.
Thanks and God Bless,
Ty Gray
606-425-6635

Ty Gray - Office : 606-379-1847 / Cell : 606-492-9252

Somerset, Ky

HEAD BACK NAILS DUG IN BELLY UP
TREED WITH THE MEAT
Tree Dogs are for show COON DOGS Have The MEAT.
I use and recommend GARMIN TRACKING EQUIPMENT & BRIGHT EYES LIGHTS.

Posted by JMollett on 01-14-2012 05:00 AM:

Gluture dry's just as fast.
You can order it online for I think around 24 dollars a tube.
Very compact and easy to use.
I wouldn't suggest anyone using super glue on a bleeding wound.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Posted by JMollett on 01-14-2012 05:04 AM:

I forgot to add why super glue shouldn't be used.
Super glue has an ingredient causing the glue to dry as soon as it hit's oxygen. Guess what is in the blood stream that rebuild RBC's?
Oxygen, when the glue gets in the blood stream it prevent Red Blood cell's from being produced. Makes since if you think about it.
Therefore causing you or your dog to be anemic and not sure why. Pretty hard to get the toxins flushed from the blood stream once it get's in their.
Happy hunting,
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Posted by smokin-1-mo on 01-14-2012 05:56 AM:

I carry a bottle of wonder dust it is for cuts it will clot it up and stop the bleeding....get it at most feed stores ...

Posted by Hey Preacher!!! on 01-14-2012 06:07 AM:

STYPTIC POWDER!!

Posted by bcoleman on 01-14-2012 07:03 AM:

super glue

it will not hurt you or your dog. i laid carpet for 6 year use on my self 2 or 3 time a week.man them knife are shrape.work in steel shops seen many guys use it for big cuts.that most poeple would have went to er room for be back work in 5 min.

Posted by james cadigan on 01-14-2012 07:15 AM:

hey

not being mean or smart, but if you cut your self laying carpet 2 or 3 times a week i bet you ruin a lot of carpet lol i been laying carpet 14 years and work part time at a bucher shop i have never cut my self 2 or 3 times a week,maybe 1 a month or one bad cut a year lol ashes work good on cut for dogs. but flour work good on me.

Posted by staylor on 01-14-2012 07:16 AM:

black pepper

Try putting plain old black pepper on it will stop real quick clots up the blood then when its done put some pulvex all-purpose ointment on it had one the other night bleeding all over stopped real quick works great will not hurt the dog at all used it for years

Posted by l.lyle on 01-14-2012 07:28 AM:

Juglar, big veins and arteries: I carry several forcpsn cat cut and needles and HA tothe vet. Ears; I don't worry too much about. I would if I ever had one die from losing half of both ears in a pig scrap.

Posted by bcoleman on 01-14-2012 07:30 AM:

never said i was smart

and i really didnt use it that much but use it bunch.never a drop on the carpet either.mostly in frist couple weeks.keep it in the boat for hooks to.i just think it funny that poeple think lil super glue going hurt thier dog.i think it take alot myself and if you need that much dog migth need go to the vet.

Posted by james cadigan on 01-14-2012 01:15 PM:

hey

i did not mean say u where dum, i thought super gule was a neat ldea just though it would brun bad james cadigan

Posted by JMollett on 01-14-2012 01:22 PM:

Brian,
Not trying to be smart here, but some how when I make a post to help some one out, their is always a guy that thinks he know's everything.
I'm in school to be a vet and I get on these boards to try and help people out to the best of my ability!
If you've used super glue for 2-3 times a week. Than good for you! You must be lucky.
Maybe you should get a CBC done on your self and see if you have an Immune Mediated anemia coming on.
It doesn't happen instantly or over night. Could take a week or even a year to see symptom's.
Haven't you ever wondered what that little note on Kid's glue meant, NON-TOXIC?
Mean's it is safe.
Most won't see that on super glue tubes, why? because we adults are suppose to know.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to not use super glue matter of fact I don't convince anyone to do anything. I just want the best for the dog!
Best of Luck,
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Posted by Cleo on 01-14-2012 01:29 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by JMollett
8hawg,
I'll be around for as long as I'm live and able.
I'm not a Vet yet, but will be soon in the future.
Helping the animal is my best interest, but also helping fellow houndsman is also something that I prefer to do because TOO many vet's take advantage. Especially on office calls,etc..Is it really necessary to charge $45/a visit. No it's not.
So I'm for the people, not for making people broke.
Thanks glad to see someone appreciates my advice. I only try and help when I can!
Jeremy

Jeremy ~ I always enjoy reading what you post. Best of luck to you!

We have a very dear friend named Joe McKenzie. He is also a vet in the south Ga area. He's just like. Helps so many.

Thank you.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Posted by hillbilly56 on 01-14-2012 01:29 PM:

Re: super glue

quote:
Originally posted by bcoleman
it will not hurt you or your dog. i laid carpet for 6 year use on my self 2 or 3 time a week.man them knife are shrape.work in steel shops seen many guys use it for big cuts.that most poeple would have went to er room for be back work in 5 min.
not saying you aint right but when a vet says its not good to use then tells why i aint real smart but im smart enough if a vet tells me not to use it im not going to use it jmo

Posted by Bluedogman on 01-14-2012 02:26 PM:

I had a dog with a bad ear bleeding situation one time and ended up taking him to an old experienced vet and gettin it sewed up. He told me I could have avoided all the complications if I had put super glue on it right after it happened. I asked if he meant regular old super glue and he said yes. I asked if it might do the dog harm and he said it was ok to use on the dog or myself. I'd sure take his word over message board advise any time! I have kept some on hand hunting ever since but never had occasion to use it.

Posted by hillbilly56 on 01-14-2012 02:32 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Bluedogman
I had a dog with a bad ear bleeding situation one time and ended up taking him to an old experienced vet and gettin it sewed up. He told me I could have avoided all the complications if I had put super glue on it right after it happened. I asked if he meant regular old super glue and he said yes. I asked if it might do the dog harm and he said it was ok to use on the dog or myself. I'd sure take his word over message board advise any time! I have kept some on hand hunting ever since but never had occasion to use it.
i think j mollet is a vet tech right now wont be long he will be a licsenced vet so i would say he knows what hes talking about but every body has thier own opion not bashing on you blue dog man

Posted by JMollett on 01-14-2012 02:41 PM:

Thanks for the kind words. I try and help everyone out I can.
As you all may know, I'm writing down the names of the one's that is smarter than me, such as bluedogman and Bcoleman, etc.
One of my professor's told me, "You can't help everyone even if you try, they will always know better than you".
I didn't believe him until I got into the profession myself. Now I believe every word he says.
Thansk Ky Hound, Cleo, and hillbilly56 for your kind words. If you ever need anything just let me know, I will do my best to help out.
No I'm not a Vet Tech. The tech's are like nurses for doctor's. I'm a Vet Intern. with 4 years of Internship, I will be licensed.
Best of luck to everyone and Hope BingsHounds got his dog's ear to stop bleeding.
Just want to remind him about the Vitamin B12, Molasses and Antibiotics'.
If you are a holistic person and don't believe in Antibiotics, give Vitamin C. probably around 1000mg Human Grade is the same as dog grade.
Thanks again,
Jeremy

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty