UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 26 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Coon trapping tips (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=324038)

Posted by JOEJR on 01-07-2010 08:55 PM:

Coon trapping tips

Anybody got any tips on catching a coon in a live trap. I keep getting my bait stolen but can't catch the rascal.

Posted by wvhoundsman on 01-07-2010 09:05 PM:

i take a peanut butter lid and fasten it on the inside of the back of the trap with the top of the lid against the wire and put the bait in there so they have to get farther in there or u fasten the tuna can the same way. i do alot of my trapping around dumpsters like behind groc. stores etc. when i set there i use peanut butter cause it keeps the cats out, if i use fish there ill catch a cat before it gets dark. in the woods i use sardines or tuna

Posted by JOEJR on 01-07-2010 09:08 PM:

Thanks for the tips, I'll give em a try.

Posted by rscott on 01-07-2010 09:26 PM:

PUT boards along sides of trap or straw bales coon cant reach through & get bait. I like marshmellows for bait

Posted by john r. kincaid on 01-07-2010 09:43 PM:

I've always baited with a piece of bread with some jelly or jam smeared on it, put it way back in the trap behind the pan. Take just a few miniature marshmallows and make a trail with them out the trap and about two or three feet in front of it. Cover the sides top and end with brush, treebark or something so the coon cant reach end through the sides or top and has to go in the front. This method has always worked great for me, coon bout everytime(we have alot of coon though). Dont ever catch no cat's, possum etc. with this method either. Evertime I ever tried sardines, tuna etc. possums and cats got to it before the coon.

Posted by knpeterson on 01-07-2010 09:47 PM:

We modified our traps so the coons can't reach through from the outside to get the bait. We just wired up small rabbit cage type wire around the sides. Harder for them to reach out of the cage when the're trapped to pull a bunch of junk in. We had one shred an entire feed sack into the trap...that was a mess to clean out after he messed in it all day. You could have something smaller like a pack rat stealing bait too.

Posted by ncstatewalkers on 01-07-2010 09:53 PM:

all good suggestions.

I use regular wire box traps. What i do if one keeps taking my bait is I put some under the trap. For instance, take another peice of bread with peanut butter (or sardines, or hot dogs or twinkies) and put it under the trap where you would normally place the bait. That way they have to work at pulling it through the bottom of the trap in order to take it. and that usually is the end of mr. tricky ricky. If you can put boards or brush or logs around it to keep them from digging underneath its even better. If they have to get the food from under the trap they will usually be waiting in the trap the next morning.

hope you get that rascal.

Jacob

Posted by JOEJR on 01-07-2010 09:55 PM:

I put my trap inside a black trash bag and it has holes torn in it at back of trap. Pretty sure coon is taking bait cause they are coon tracks all over the creek below it. In the past I've never had any trouble catching a coon. For some reason I can't catch one now, if I don't catch em soon we gonna turn dog loose on em.

Posted by knpeterson on 01-07-2010 09:59 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by ncstatewalkers
all good suggestions.

I use regular wire box traps. What i do if one keeps taking my bait is I put some under the trap. For instance, take another peice of bread with peanut butter (or sardines, or hot dogs or twinkies) and put it under the trap where you would normally place the bait. That way they have to work at pulling it through the bottom of the trap in order to take it. and that usually is the end of mr. tricky ricky. If you can put boards or brush or logs around it to keep them from digging underneath its even better. If they have to get the food from under the trap they will usually be waiting in the trap the next morning.

hope you get that rascal.

Jacob

Under the trap! I'm gonna use that myself. Good idea!

Posted by GLAZECREEKrock on 01-07-2010 10:35 PM:

hey

first put trap between two trees so they cant flip it over then get i small pipe and stick through the traping the ground so they cant move it and get some corn and put in a 5 gallon bucket for a few days till it sours and pour from the front of the tra to the back u will have a coon

Posted by BLUE 62 on 01-07-2010 10:59 PM:

traps

i use 3 cinder blocks one on each side and on at back put wal mart licorice at back of trap caught 3 this week with the cold weather keeps them from reaching in and grabbing bait

Posted by BWSupplies on 01-07-2010 11:12 PM:

I put a small cage for bird seed in the back of mine. He has to really stretch out to touch it and will trip the trap to get it. I use honey buns.

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Posted by trackntreeman on 01-07-2010 11:28 PM:

traps

i'd make sure that it was a coon trowing ur trap . had a wild house cat that kept throwing my trap one time . like everyone else take some brush and stack around it like a fort , i took a small butter bowl and a zip tie and tied it inside the trap , took choclate suace for choc milk and made a trail going into the butter dish with sardines in it and caught the dang thing .

@ Stud , 5 Gen . All Grand ,
Nite Ch Track Driver " Tank "
( 3 wins to GrNtCh )

Nite Ch Ch Bell Mtn. Megan
(2012 UKC WV Gov. Cup Champ)

Our Past Titled Hounds :

Gr Nite Ch Cord's Lil Rattler
Nite Ch Stylish Black Jack
Nite Ch Ch Wabash River Snap
Nite Ch Skipper's Stylish Hanna

Sponsered By :
Hillbilly Deluxe Dog Box's
(828) 925-4071
Eisenhut Dog Supply
(304) 984-1430
Mountainside gps/telemetry
Collar sales/repair
(540) 679-9628

(304) 549-1767 , Andy Rectenwald

Posted by knpeterson on 01-07-2010 11:50 PM:

We had that problem in our barn. We had coons tearing apart our stored corn and feed. Hard to trap a coon when the barn cats like the same things usually. I just started baiting ours with sweet feed and range cubes cause the coons had been tearing into it. It worked. We sometimes find a very unhappy barn cat in the trap now and then.

Posted by andy sachleben on 01-08-2010 12:14 AM:

dry cat food

Try this one! Use tuna,but instead of opening entire top, use a half inch drill bit or one of those can openers that makes the triangle holes in the can. Put about six holes in top of can. Then once trap is set, sprinkle some dry cat food through the bottom of the trap. Anything that will cause em to stay in there longer. Once they come in after tuna, they will reach through floor and eat the cat food a piece at a time. Bingo! Also you can reuse the tuna over and over. I guarantee the smell of the tuna will be gone before the tuna is all gone

Posted by walkerman81 on 01-08-2010 12:33 AM:

Well i dont have any speical trick. I just try to put mine on a hair triger if you know what i mean and use cans of cat food. The best thing for me is i try to hit the places in town around the creeks. Like Mc Donalds or a DQ stuff like that. I had one behind a muff. shop and got like 33 of them out of there in a year. Well i hope helped.

Posted by jsamuels on 01-08-2010 12:37 AM:

hey

chip monks stealing the bait?? when i was putting jelly packets in my trap they carring them out of the trap then eating them on the out side......gl

Posted by Larry Atherton on 01-08-2010 12:40 AM:

What kind of door lock does your trap have? The reason I ask is many years ago I bought a Mustang brand live trap from the back of Field and Stream. That trap had a simple gravity door lock.

My grandparents were having a coon problem with their trash and asked me to take care of it. I tried and tried with no luck. The trap was always set-off and the bait was gone.

So my grandfather and I sat up to watch what was happening. Four coons came in to the trap. One went smack right into the trap, and snapped it off. The coon didn't seemed worried. It just ate all the bait. Once the bait was gone the coon went over and started pushing on the door. The others coons started pushing from the outside. I will be darned if they didn't push the door lock up as the coon inside pushed the door open. The coon walked out and the door closed behind him.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Since that time I only use traps with spring loaded door locks.

Aim small miss small

Posted by Jim Hill on 01-08-2010 12:43 AM:

i use a small cup,put dog food in it and crack an egg over ,keeps alot of other animals from jacking with it that way

Been following these walker dogs since 1983,and love every min of it !!!!

http://minnesotastatecoonhunters.webs.com/

Use SunSpot Lights, so bright its like the sun came out at night !!!

Posted by Whistle Pig on 01-08-2010 01:11 AM:

This Is the only way

This Is the only way to trap coon only.

" Puzzle Gully Kennel "

Puzzle Gully"Sam
Puzzle Gully"Jim Jr----JJ
Puzzle Gully"Reddy Freddy"
Puzzle Gully''Daddy Frank''
Puzzle Gully''Smil'in Bob''
Puzzle Gully''Kate''
Puzzle Gully''Busher''
Puzzle Gully''Cricket''

Posted by tickem red on 01-08-2010 01:35 AM:

traps

I had a problem stealing my bait so what we did is break up sticks and place them over the bait and over the trigger plate in the traps and as soon as the coon starts in and reaching down for the food he can't help but hit one of the sticks and triggers the trap.

Posted by Lee Currens Jr. on 01-08-2010 01:41 AM:

Re: Coon trapping tips

quote:
Originally posted by JOEJR
Anybody got any tips on catching a coon in a live trap. I keep getting my bait stolen but can't catch the rascal.

set the trigger as light as possible

Posted by Sheriff Andy on 01-08-2010 01:46 AM:

Re: Coon trapping tips

quote:
Originally posted by JOEJR

you didn't state that the trap was actually thrown. if it wasn't then i'd test the trigger to make sure it will throw. take a slim stick and push the trigger down from the top to test. i have set mine several times in the early years and lost bait but didn't throw the trap. uasully something is under the trigger

I miss Mayberry,
where everythings in black and white.
and tan.

Posted by trappin_girl on 01-08-2010 02:02 AM:

peanut butter and honey mixed and on the very back of tredle. put industrial bag around the trap and set tredle very lightly. u more n likely will have him if not then let me kno and i give u another tip

home phone:304-462-7054
Cell phone:304-613-9740
dixie_coonhunter_911@yahoo.com

PR Tristan's JR (Tristans Dog)

PR Grampa's Miss Ruby (Ruby's Dog)

Posted by coondogman on 01-08-2010 02:09 AM:

Caught 108 in 4 weeks

All you need to do is get a bag of marshmellows, dont cover the trap with anything, dont set anything beside

just set it put a couple of marshmellows about 6 inches in front of trap, put one right at entrance to trap and one behind trip plate thats it all you need to do.

We caught 108 in 4 weeks with 6 bags of marshmellows simple.