UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 41 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come. (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928515494)

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-13-2019 03:34 PM:

When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come.

I have read that for years in Stud Dog ads. What does that mean to you.
Have many of you seen a dog that has several different styles of getting the coon up the tree.

Posted by blue blue on 02-13-2019 03:48 PM:

Bruce

I would think that means he trails whatever kind of track he comes across first. Cold or hot or in between. Doesn’t look for just one particular track.

Posted by Cory Highfill on 02-13-2019 03:58 PM:

To me there are very few that accurately fit that description. There was a bluetick in this country back in the 90s that was the only one I ever saw that I would really describe that way. If you hunted him out of a boat, he'd run off and leave other dogs on those hot tracks off the bank, and regularly catch those coons on the ground. On frosty winter nights he'd drift and peck and cover long stretches working feed tracks out along hardwood ridges, and eventually produce that coon balled up somewhere. Sometimes he'd be skipping through the country and fall treed on a legitimate layup that other decent dogs couldn't even smell. I'm not sure he was even full-bloooded. He was registered, but was all blue and had birddog course hair, shortish ears and a short snout. Who knows really, but he was exceptional in alot of departments and really impacted my thoughts on how dogs should operate from then to now...

Posted by Richard Lambert on 02-13-2019 04:12 PM:

To me it means they don't run wide open through the country passing up cold tracks while looking for a hot one.

Posted by Mike Mckinney on 02-13-2019 05:08 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
To me it means they don't run wide open through the country passing up cold tracks while looking for a hot one.
x2

Posted by critter on 02-13-2019 05:37 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mckinney
x2
x3

Posted by ole hoss on 02-13-2019 06:16 PM:

I picture several things when I read this. Number 1 thing is a gob of colorful lines on my garmin, #2 I picture a long eared bluetick #3 I picture a beagle beating a thicket!!

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-13-2019 06:51 PM:

I think Corey has the description that I was thinking of. Just one of those things you have to see to believe it.

Posted by ole hoss on 02-13-2019 07:07 PM:

Must be a bunch of them cause I see it all the time when there is one for sale

Posted by Adams, Harold on 02-13-2019 09:09 PM:

Opens off the strap can run a cold track most can't smell just like an eyesight chase.....Coondog!!!!

Posted by jdgher on 02-13-2019 09:13 PM:

I think of

They finish or try to finish a particular track, usually the first track they come across. A good dog where coon are few and far between (winner). A low score dog in thick coon (looser). That's what I think of.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Posted by shadinc on 02-13-2019 09:45 PM:

How can anyone know how many bad tracks a dog passes up before he opens on one? That's my first thought.

Posted by Kler Kry on 02-13-2019 09:59 PM:

A dog that takes tracks as they come to them.

quote:
Originally posted by Adams, Harold
Opens off the strap can run a cold track most can't smell just like an eyesight chase.....Coondog!!!!

Couldn't have said it any better. Do you know where one is that reproduces the same kind?

Now is the time of year and conditions are right to check your dogs ability in Wisconsin. THE SNOW DOESN'T LIE!

Posted by Roy Grant on 02-13-2019 10:36 PM:

Reading Jeremy Kidd's description of Joe Black on Friday night describes that dog. Treed a coon within 50yds and the last one of the five was 3/4 of a mile.

Posted by Adams, Harold on 02-13-2019 11:34 PM:

Re: A dog that takes tracks as they come to them.

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
Couldn't have said it any better. Do you know where one is that reproduces the same kind?

Now is the time of year and conditions are right to check your dogs ability in Wisconsin. THE SNOW DOESN'T LIE!

I'd say Wisconsin would be a good test for some of these super cooners... Mine can't pass the test here any time of the year...lol

Posted by Reuben on 02-14-2019 12:03 AM:

Re: When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I have read that for years in Stud Dog ads. What does that mean to you.
Have many of you seen a dog that has several different styles of getting the coon up the tree.

This dog cannot be a competition hound...because if he hits a cold track first and takes it and there are plenty of coon then chances are he won’t win very often...because I don’t hunt hounds I could be way off track...it seems to me the average line of competition hounds need a medium to somewhat hot nose to be a winner day in and out...

Taking the track as it comes...Sounds like a good pleasure hound to me...

Posted by Ron Moore on 02-14-2019 02:41 AM:

When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come"

I would think it would mean that a dog would open on a coon track he/she was able to smell depending on the age or difficulty of the track. All dogs aren't able to open on every track they come across. A scent may have a different effect on different dogs. I would say a so called cold nosed dog would open on minimal coon scent where a more medium to hot nosed would need more scent to excite them enough to open. I believe most dogs can smell most coon tracks but not all will be excited enough to open hence watching a dog trail around for quite a while before they open. I've noted this many times when I had my old female who was very cold nosed. There are so many variables in this department that it's very hard to make a concrete evaluation, IMO. It sure is a good subject to discuss though.

Posted by Kler Kry on 02-14-2019 02:43 AM:

Trackdogs

Just because a track is cold doesn't necessarily mean that the coon is a long distance away. I've seen coon cross the road in the daytime and brought a dog 3 hours later and treed the coon in less than 10 on a fenceline 1/2 mile away.

Posted by DocAcumen on 02-14-2019 03:06 AM:

marking too come back for some thoughts questions

Posted by Cory Highfill on 02-14-2019 03:11 AM:

Lots of people say it's code for a track straddler, and some seem to think that a dog that is able to handle any type of track in a timely manner and produce a coon can't compete. I can't tell anyone what they should think of when they hear that particular phrase, but I've seen state leaders go and I've drawn world champions. I've seen dogs that win off of gimmicks, and some sure enough coon treers. But a dog that can honestly pick up an old track and move it better than most, and can also move a hot track abnormally fast is something you don't see every day. Or every ten years if you're honest with yourself and have a critical eye.

Posted by Chuck Allen on 02-14-2019 04:16 AM:

There is some body on here can not remember who , who says of it has fur and climbs it ain't trash. That is taking their tracks has they come. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Posted by fox_91 on 02-14-2019 12:26 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
Reading Jeremy Kidd's description of Joe Black on Friday night describes that dog. Treed a coon within 50yds and the last one of the five was 3/4 of a mile.

Joe is bred born and raised local to me. He is as nice as they come.

Posted by HOBO on 02-14-2019 01:26 PM:

To me it means the dog isn’t blowing through the country looking for a hot track, he will take the cold track he comes across first and warm it up and get it treed.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 02-14-2019 03:49 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
To me it means the dog isn’t blowing through the country looking for a hot track, he will take the cold track he comes across first and warm it up and get it treed.

Same to me.

Posted by sleepy head on 02-14-2019 04:06 PM:

Prefer the dog that takes the first track they can get going without getting dog knotted