UKC Forums
Show all 23 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Big Game Hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36)
-- uchtman bred blueticks (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928365233)

Posted by chasinbear on 03-03-2014 02:35 PM:

uchtman bred blueticks

who is hunting uchtman bred blueticks on bear?got a young dog that is heavy jet and uchtman breeding never been off the chain seems like he has some sense just wondering how they do on bear

Posted by hollaback maine on 03-04-2014 12:09 AM:

I run Utchman on bear and consider them well rounded! They go back to Moody creek blue Jammer....

Posted by kardinalkennels on 03-04-2014 07:31 PM:

All of my dogs have a shot of Utchman in them some more than others, if anything they have more Utchman blood influence than anything else, not all of them, but I think the really smart ones do

HB Maine, just the other day I talked to a fella about breeding his female, the bottom half was Jammer. It has been a long while since I heard the name, and was surprise when he said his female had it up close. This is the 2nd time in just a few days I see the name reappearing and taking me back a page or two in the brain. I once was going to get a dog off of that Joker dog once but something happened, who knows what that was, but the name stuck.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Jammer out of Ponds Blue Joker dog and maybe a Satin female that was out of the Ranger dogs? I asked him the same but he wasn't sure at the time. His female is directly out of Hornet, and he bear hunts her and sounds like a nice hound, but getting a little age on her.

Pups and started dogs available from time to time.

Posted by glynnsdawgs63 on 03-04-2014 07:35 PM:

I hunt mainly Smokey River dogs on bear.The straight Utchman stuff never worked for me.I have a female that is Utchman Albert blooded on top and Smokey River on bottom.She is a nice dog but doesn't have the nose or speed of myheavy Smokey River stuff.

Glynn Holmes
www.tellsblueticks.webs.com

Posted by hollaback maine on 03-04-2014 09:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by kardinalkennels
All of my dogs have a shot of Utchman in them some more than others, if anything they have more Utchman blood influence than anything else, not all of them, but I think the really smart ones do

HB Maine, just the other day I talked to a fella about breeding his female, the bottom half was Jammer. It has been a long while since I heard the name, and was surprise when he said his female had it up close. This is the 2nd time in just a few days I see the name reappearing and taking me back a page or two in the brain. I once was going to get a dog off of that Joker dog once but something happened, who knows what that was, but the name stuck.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Jammer out of Ponds Blue Joker dog and maybe a Satin female that was out of the Ranger dogs? I asked him the same but he wasn't sure at the time. His female is directly out of Hornet, and he bear hunts her and sounds like a nice hound, but getting a little age on her.

Your correct!
Ranger and Satin produces Kuk's blue Bess & Moyers blue Chubbs was bred to Moyers blue bell which produced ponds blue Joker.....Joker and Bess produced Jammer.....

Posted by hollaback maine on 03-04-2014 09:23 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by glynnsdawgs63
I hunt mainly Smokey River dogs on bear.The straight Utchman stuff never worked for me.I have a female that is Utchman Albert blooded on top and Smokey River on bottom.She is a nice dog but doesn't have the nose or speed of myheavy Smokey River stuff.

Glynn Holmes

Funny because the smokey river dogs I had wouldnt stay with a rough bear on the ground.....never made it as bear dogs.....had all the looks and sounded good but no soup!

Posted by glynnsdawgs63 on 03-04-2014 10:13 PM:

Some make bear dogs some don't.I hunt what works for me.Never owned but 1 all blue dog that was any count she came from Upson.I culled 9 cameron dogs from Del,they were slow and backwards.
Smokey River works for me

Glynn Holmes

Posted by hollaback maine on 03-04-2014 11:43 PM:

Everyone has a preference of what works for them,and thats all that matters.....I'LL keep only what works on a everyday basis.....They better run like their life depends on it....because it does......

Posted by glynnsdawgs63 on 03-05-2014 12:34 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by hollaback maine
Everyone has a preference of what works for them,and thats all that matters.....I'LL keep only what works on a everyday basis.....They better run like their life depends on it....because it does......

Ain't that the truth

Posted by kardinalkennels on 03-05-2014 01:17 AM:

Man I am down with both ya guys.

HB much abliged, I think there is going to be some happy hunters if this cross works out. I think that the Utchman dogs have carried there weight in the breed and made huge contributions to produce what I sought after.

Mr. Holms how old is that bitch and do you want to sell her? I have never had any dog to date that I know of that had any SR in them. If its there it hasn't been in a 7 gen over the last 20. I have been around a bunch and aware that your SR dogs, seems like most like them and they do well on bear or I wouldn't have even paid attention. I almost bred my first blue dog to the Jack of Diamonds that Dexter Wotley had maybe??? It has been a long time ago and I am pretty sure he was hooked up with Jim Smalling that owned or promoted perhaps SR Chief??? I can't remember, my old noggin ain't what it use to be. One thing I do know they really wanted to bred to that old female. Mr. Holms maybe destine is knocking on my door and I have come full circle, maybe we pop a squat and talk about that girl.

Thanks again.

Posted by glynnsdawgs63 on 03-05-2014 01:55 AM:

My Robin female is a grand daughter of Utchmans Albert III.She just turned 4 years old.She suits me very well she works good as a straight rig dog and pretty nice in the woods.She lacksa little compared to my SR dogs.
Robin is not for sale.I do plan to breed her to Smokey River Cheif Geronimo this spring.This will be the 2nd time for this cross.The first litter is 14 months old and looking really good.

Glynn Holmes
478-662-4238

Posted by kardinalkennels on 03-05-2014 02:53 AM:

That's to bad, she sounds well rounded, and if that ever changes keep me in mind. I have dogs that would compliment her very well.

Posted by jryking on 03-07-2014 08:28 AM:

My expierance with blue dogs is limited but I'm not color blind and have owned a few. The best one I hunted with was named blue and he was all bear dog gritty got cut on the ground and would stay he could also run and was a good rig dog. He also was one hell of a coon dog. Once you learned him he rigged a coon with one voice and a bear with another. Turned on bait he would take a bear after about three turnouts he would switch to coon mode if he didn't find a bear. I speak highly of this dog but never owned a hair own him but for a day and give him back to his owner so I wouldn't loose my hunting buddy back then. This dog showed about 3/4 Utchman and the rest was primarily smokey river. I seen him have his throat cut out cut several times and he finally got hit hard enough internal injuries killed him. Well the past is on the past. The same guy wanted more he went to Gary's utchmans house and bought a started male and a female pup. The male made a nice coondog but wouldn't have anything to do with a bear. The female was slower to start but made real nice coon dog by two years old but from day one was naturally scared of bear scent. The first time she smelled she tucked tail and wouldn't hunt. I hunted with another mans pack of blues they were good dogs that you could kill bear to they would bay a bear for three days but they were all stand back bay dogs they were primarily smokey river and some Utchman.

Now with that said all the good blues people are talking about like Rockys and these ray bred blues Bo woods dogs I haven't had the pleasure to see them go yet but I've always heard good on them. Anyways good luck with them. If you come across one that is suicdal on a bear and you don't want to pay the vet bills let me no. I want a blue dog that will eat a bear I no there some out there just not many in my neck of the woods.

Thanks Justin King
Kings Ketchen Kennels

Posted by hollaback maine on 03-07-2014 10:33 PM:

Justin,
I too seen the same issues with alot of the smokey river and Utchman lines and had to paw through alot of dogs to find a few that would be considered bear dogs......I finally got my hands on the old Morris river blue Boomer line with heavy Brush Creek Blue breeding and started smiling again....The ones I've had would stick in any situation and were'nt cheerleaders...Keeping that blue dog nose with foot to match it.....and knowing what to do when it wants to stay on the ground......

Posted by kardinalkennels on 03-09-2014 02:27 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by jryking
The male made a nice coondog but wouldn't have anything to do with a bear. The female was slower to start but made real nice coon dog by two years old but from day one was naturally scared of bear scent. The first time she smelled she tucked tail and wouldn't hunt.

Thanks Justin King
Kings Ketchen Kennels

Justin funny you say that, I got a litter of pups on the ground now and a guy from IL is buying one. It is the strongest Utchman cross I have made to date and I hope for the best. Most of my dogs are Utchman and Cameron crosses.

Well as I talked to him he wasn't aware that I was a bear hunter. When I told him that is what I mainly hunt and breed for. He then told me that he goes to TN to hunt some in bear country. He wanted to know if the pup he is buying smelled a bear as they trailed coon would she quite the coon and take the bear track. My response well I hope so, which wasn't really the answer he wanted lol. Anyways long story short about dogs and grit I told him that I have seen and owned dogs that would pee up and down themselves and get really nervous over bear sent and these pups shouldn't be like that as the parents aren't and will drive a bear and pull hair if need be.

Dogs are funny creatures and usually if you are bating 50% on litters that turn out to be good bear dogs you are on the right track if it is big game you run. Usually coon dogs and bear dogs are 2 different breeds or types of hounds, but as you stated I have seen it work both ways coon dogs making bear dogs, bear dogs making coon dogs.

Hopefully one day we get up and do a hunt, I have seen several dogs that you trained or exposed to bear that are good ones. I know JR Walker personally, and he speaks highly of you and I think Spud sends a few to get tuned in every yr before our season comes in, he's got some good ones. Your bear should start moving before long and maybe this long winter is over, good luck to you this yr with your training and hunting season. If I get covered up with work and cant hunt, maybe a few of these young blues make it to your place, and I hope that I am covered up with work, it has been a long winter and I need it.

Posted by TBBLUE on 03-09-2014 08:57 PM:

Years ago I had some utchman, utchman/hammer n utchman/brush creek hounds I hunted on bear. Although they're not what I hunt n breed today I did catch some bears with them. They could drive a track n good tree dogs but just not the package I was lookin for. Then I tried some of these strains of highly talked bout biggame strains of blues n they didn't suit me either. I got lucky n finally found what I was lookin for. So I guess find whatever strain or cross works for u n use it.

Posted by jryking on 03-09-2014 09:13 PM:

Thanks for the kind words rocklynn! I to think highly of spud and his dogs. I love a walker dog and he has some of the best that I no of. I actually got a heavy hammer bred pup coming my way I'm going try out. I seen her mama get tore up with several broke ribs in dec when she was pregnant so I had to have one I figured if they lived. The father just past but was the real deal cold nosed coon dog so we gonna give it a whirl. That dog is owned by Matt Bryan. She is a real dog he turned her his best and I turned my best loose in the early kill season and she put it on me and had the bear looked good. We done the same thing down here in dec and mine shined that day but I would own a pack just like her hopefully she reproduces because I'm not color blind.

Thanks Justin King
Kings Ketchen Kennels

Posted by nbha on 03-11-2014 02:54 AM:

I like the hammer bred blues but I have a pup that is uchtmans & smokey river that I really like the hammer dog I had would do it all bear got the best of him about 5 years ago

Posted by 1Alockridge on 03-12-2014 11:06 PM:

I have a young Smoky river/Uchtman female that has been doing a real good job for me. She has great speed and is a pretty good tree dog. she is still young so dont know alot about her nose yet but think she is going to end up having a pretty good nose on her.

her ped

last bear season

Posted by kardinalkennels on 03-29-2014 06:37 PM:

1Alockridge

Love the looks of Lady, tight looking hound. I just breed Johnny with at least a half sister to her that a fellow in WV has. He hunts her on bear as well. If you are ever interested in breeding to any of my dogs just drop a line.

Posted by bubearchaser on 03-29-2014 10:08 PM:

Woody doubled on Ronnie Moores buck dog twice on the bottom side

Posted by bubearchaser on 03-29-2014 10:12 PM:

Legend utchman crossed dog out of Richard Lawson's stuff in NC

Posted by collarguy on 12-23-2022 03:03 AM:

Uchtman dogs are too smart and straight to mess with a bear.

GRNT Blue River Ringo (Zeb x Deep Holler Sue)

Branko Bred Beagles.
English Pointers