UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 33 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Curs and Feists (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5)
-- Coon hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928354976)

Posted by schunter on 01-02-2014 08:04 PM:

Coon hunting

Those of you who coon hunt with mountain curs...how do they fair as coon dogs? I've only ever hunted coons with larger breeds that hunt out further and have a little more weight to handle an ole coon. Do the curs have enough to give a coon fight without getting whipped?

Posted by mdmorrison on 01-02-2014 08:08 PM:

Size......

......Really has little to do with it, IMO. Some of the better coon kill dogs I've seen were actually pretty small, but with bad intentions. Now, having said that, our coon in MS are generally not nearly as big as in other parts of the country, especially up North.

Mark.

Posted by Tar12 on 01-02-2014 08:52 PM:

I have a LBMC female who weighs in at 40 lbs and she kills a coon quicker than any hound I ever saw. As Mark said she has bad intentions on her mind! lol

Posted by nccatfisher on 01-02-2014 09:05 PM:

My cur males weigh 60-65# just how big of dog do you need for a coon? I can understand the strains of cur that have feist in them that may be of concern.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Posted by hopm on 01-02-2014 09:14 PM:

I have a OMCB male, busher, that is 60 lb plus. He ain't no kill dawg. He is convinced he can bark one to death. This best kill dawg I ever had was just a bit over 30lb and was the last view many many many ringtails ever saw. He was unmerciful.

But that part don't matter.....the thing that's important is they got under a coon and got me to it.......from that point on it's my job.

As far as hunting...both of these dawgs go as far as necessary. Sometimes it's a pop up as soon as you drop....
But most times it's a ride in the truck and see how close you can get to them.

Posted by Sy Sparks on 01-03-2014 12:55 AM:

I agree with the above. I have a 30# female that's Kemmer bred that will flat out kill a coon unless he gets a head start on her then it's bay time. She's not stupid to keep getting tore up but if she gets his neck in the right spot them it's over.

She will hunt as far as she has to to get treed. The only different I would say about her is when she is squirrel hunting she will through rocks in your face. She still hunts hard at night but just not as hard as she does during the day. She also doesn't hunt well with other dogs at night but I have only been coon hunting her for a short time. Only knocked prolly 8 out to her, she's prolly treed about 12.

Check me out on Facebook

Posted by skeets on 01-03-2014 01:04 AM:

mtn.curs are as good as any dog on coons if their bred to be coon dogs.there just like any other breed they have to be bred right.curs can fight a coon as good as any hound usually,or at least the ones ive had.

Posted by schunter on 01-03-2014 01:58 PM:

thanks

Thanks for the replys fellas. Learning some interesting stuff from y'all

Posted by luv2hunt08 on 01-03-2014 03:49 PM:

Unless they catch it on the ground there should NEVER be a fight- period. I hunt small dogs on coon a lot, if they catch them on good ground they win- bad ground can go either way because they won't back up. They get tied back at every tree and the coon that don't hit the ground dead get one in the top of the head. Coon-dog fights are awful hard on any good dog and my checkbook don't like the vet bills.
Dean Wright

Posted by smallshot on 01-03-2014 07:03 PM:

LOL

quote:
Originally posted by nccatfisher
My cur males weigh 60-65# just how big of dog do you need for a coon? I can understand the strains of cur that have feist in them that may be of concern.

What strain would that be that has feist in it ?

Posted by smallshot on 01-03-2014 07:11 PM:

sc hunter

^^^^ Sorry about that. Where you from ? Im in sc and been with the smaller streak bred curs at night. They would flat out get gone and get under one. They didn't mess around either. They knew where to grab that coon (even the younger ones) Quickly killing it.

Posted by schunter on 01-03-2014 07:42 PM:

Smallshot

I'm in the columbia(sc) area. I'm looking at getting 2 mt cur pups to have as coon/squirrel dogs and didn't know how they would fair against a coon

Posted by Al Medcalf on 01-03-2014 09:38 PM:

Re: LOL

quote:
Originally posted by smallshot
What strain would that be that has feist in it ?

Uh....Streak

Posted by tn russ on 01-03-2014 09:39 PM:

Ive never seen a hound that impressed me as a kill dog.

Posted by TREE 'EM on 01-03-2014 09:54 PM:

The best Mt Cur coon dog I ever hunted with came from right there in your country.
The dog's name was Blazer and he was owned by Mack English if memory serves me right. That was about 20 years ago give or take so I might have the owners name wrong but I'll never forget the dog. It was the only cast where my old Beau dog just got flat beat by a better coon dog. Blazer's owner was a true gentleman too.

To your point about size, it just flat don't matter. A kill dog may look impressive once the work is done but I've seen a bunch like that that couldn't tree their own coon to save their life.
If you own a .22, you don't need a kill dog.

Posted by smallshot on 01-04-2014 02:10 AM:

Re: Re: LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
Uh....Streak

Uh..... Proof ?

Posted by smallshot on 01-04-2014 02:16 AM:

Re: Smallshot

quote:
Originally posted by schunter
I'm in the columbia(sc) area. I'm looking at getting 2 mt cur pups to have as coon/squirrel dogs and didn't know how they would fair against a coon

Your right in Brent Bradley's back yard. I've got his # somewhere around here but it may be in the book. Look him up. He may have something.

Posted by Al Medcalf on 01-04-2014 03:35 AM:

Re: Re: Re: LOL

quote:
Originally posted by smallshot
Uh..... Proof ?

Uh..You blind? How long you been messing with Cur dogs anyway? I'm fairly positive you weren't around in the Pre-Streak days.

Posted by HowellN on 01-04-2014 03:56 AM:

I've never seen a hound that hates a coon more than my 10 yr old cur. He's 55 lbs and has no problem finishing them. I still fool around with hounds but I wouldn't take anything for Wehunt.

Posted by Plus Points on 01-04-2014 02:57 PM:

With all this talk about streak having fiest blood, I wonder about them busher dogs may have a little plott hound in them. Remember all these lines of dog are registered as "curs", go look in a dictionary for the word cur and see what it says. Jmo. All I'm saying is everyone has there own preference on dogs and bloodlines. We're all still trying to do the same thing with these mutts and that to tree game and have fun

Posted by plottnation on 01-04-2014 03:08 PM:

Now you all got me wondering what a fiest was bred from

Posted by fycedogs on 01-04-2014 04:00 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by plottnation
Now you all got me wondering what a fiest was bred from

I think somebody said housecat?

Posted by tn russ on 01-04-2014 05:53 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Plus Points
With all this talk about streak having fiest blood, I wonder about them busher dogs may have a little plott hound in them. Remember all these lines of dog are registered as "curs", go look in a dictionary for the word cur and see what it says. Jmo. All I'm saying is everyone has there own preference on dogs and bloodlines. We're all still trying to do the same thing with these mutts and that to tree game and have fun

You are right, but heres my thought. Someone years ago had the knowledge to breed these cur dogs and get them started , and start the registry. They did a nice job of it and we should try and preserve it. If someone can reinvent the wheel , more power to them , just call it what it is.

Posted by Al Medcalf on 01-04-2014 06:33 PM:

Tn.Russ you are 110% right!

Posted by smallshot on 01-04-2014 11:28 PM:

Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
Uh..You blind? How long you been messing with Cur dogs anyway? I'm fairly positive you weren't around in the Pre-Streak days.

Now now " Streakin Al " lol. Don't take your belt to me. I aint the one that started it. Spank your own kid for a change.