UKC Forums
Show all 9 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Treeing Walkers (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=52)
-- slick tree dog's (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928326275)

Posted by rick brocious on 07-03-2013 12:20 AM:

slick tree dog's

Do you guy's think slick tree dogs are made or is it genetic ? I see where some guy's say about walkers being prone to it but i hunted with a guy who had 3 bluetics one night and they were the most false treeing dog's i ever seen. I myself think it's from training but thats just my thought . Would like to here some other thoughts on the subject .

Posted by CoonBusterWV on 07-03-2013 02:58 AM:

Slick treeing is just like running trash. Can be easily fixed at a young age.

Some people are dumb and scared to correct they're dog at a tree. Most dogs know when they're wrong and if you have hunted the dog long enough you'll be able to tell by his locate or how he is treeing...

Posted by opie on 07-03-2013 06:58 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by CoonBusterWV
Slick treeing is just like running trash. Can be easily fixed at a young age.

Some people are dumb and scared to correct they're dog at a tree. Most dogs know when they're wrong and if you have hunted the dog long enough you'll be able to tell by his locate or how he is treeing...

i agree 100%

Posted by MikeR on 07-04-2013 10:50 AM:

Way more genetics than training.

GrNiteCh Ch Oak Branch's Black Bird Star
Wipeout Chesapeake Piper

Posted by rick brocious on 07-04-2013 02:05 PM:

Mike , could you explain why you think it is caused by bad genetics then training ? Thanks .

Posted by BRANDON KING on 07-04-2013 04:28 PM:

GOOD ANSWER COONBUSTER ,YOU CAN NOT TEACH ONE TO TREE. BUT YOU CAN TEACH HIM TO KNOW HE HAS A GOOD CHANCE AT HAVING A COON.

Posted by MikeR on 07-04-2013 05:30 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by rick brocious
Mike , could you explain why you think it is caused by bad genetics then training ? Thanks .

It's a well known fact that all breeds not just Walkers don't have the nose or tracking ability that they once did. I believe breeding practices over the last 20-25 years and the evolution of competition hunts have led to the demise of nose and tracking ability.

It's been my experience that lines know to have colder noses and known for their tracking ability such as Clover, Coma and Wipeout, Finley River and House are a lot more accurate than lines known for tree power such as Rat Attack, Nailor and Trackman.

All the beatings, shockings and corrections in the world isn't going to fix a lack of nose or brains to use it which is genitics not training.

I'd much rather listen to 1 good chase and walk to 1 tree with a coon in it than have a dog strike and tree 10 times per night and walk to 8 slick trees. You're milage may vary....

GrNiteCh Ch Oak Branch's Black Bird Star
Wipeout Chesapeake Piper

Posted by Dwils on 07-07-2013 05:24 PM:

It can be either .

Every dog I've ever had has gone through the slick tree spell at some point or another an like Justin said . The younger you get on them the easier it is to break.

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Posted by kordog on 07-08-2013 06:01 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Dwils
It can be either .

Every dog I've ever had has gone through the slick tree spell at some point or another an like Justin said . The younger you get on them the easier it is to break.

i to think it can be either .dogs go through a funk once in awhile especially when they are still learning.breeding makes them prone to certain faults .brains has alot to do with it as well. if your breeding doesnt produce very smart hounds they are likely to be sticky in some faults imo .my opinion is to look for the most natural dogs you can that please you to breed to .you wouldnt breed to two hounds that wouldnt tree out of lines that were weak treedogs and expect treedogs .that would be crazy and counterproductive.the very fact that we have specialty dogs for certain things shows it is breeding first and foremost that counts .i dont think man would have bothered creating dogs for purposes over the centuries if it was counterproductive all the time. you can alot of times man make a dog through hunting and training something that isnt naturally bred into them which we all do to some extent ,but the key in my opinion is to find the ones that it comes more natural to.easier said than done i realize.if two slick treeing fools were bred i wouldnt expect acurate treedogs that also would be nuts.breeding first and foremost. training second . sincerely kordog.