UKC Forums Pages (2): [1] 2 »
Show all 44 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Track dogs ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928332611)

Posted by cornboy on 08-11-2013 04:56 AM:

Track dogs ?

Is any bloodline left in any breed that still produces dogs that take tracks as they come and have a coon in the tree at the end ?

Posted by kayapellijed390 on 08-11-2013 07:01 AM:

Leopards

In my opinion the Leopards are far and away the most accurate breed as a whole. I have seen several powerhouse track dogs come out of the Jug line or more specifically the Wicks Camo Jug x Sparklin Suzie line. That cross was made several times and there are still a few directly out of that cross that are still alive and breeding. I have the most experiance with dogs that are by Ganus Hoosier Blue Jug (Jug x Suzie) Blue Jug is owned by Dan Minten in Iowa. I own four dogs that out of him and our stud Grnitech Grch Cash's Camo Jug of Shine (Ganus' Hoosier Blue Jug x Floyd River Gabby both are out of the Jug x Suzie cross) has been a once in a lifetime hound for us. I never knew hounds could be this be accurate until Shine opened my eyes. I have seen several dogs from this line that could flat fly on track. I am talking dogs that DRIVE a track with authority, instead of follow it. The fastest track dog I have ever seen belongs to my friend and she is by Shine and out of a Harry bred walker. We once fed this gyp into a coyote race with a pack of fox hounds and running walkers, by the time we got around the section she was running about 1/4 mile ahead of the pack. I sold two pups from the same cross to a gentleman down in Arizona that hunts lion and bobcats. He said within a couple days of getting those pups started they where consistanly leading races ahead of his good broke cat dogs. My experiance with this line of dogs is, they are gonna start out trashy but everything they run they run to catch. They break easily, most of the time just encouraging them and positive reinforcement on the chosen game is all that is needed. They may take a little longer to develop into solid tree dogs than your average walker but once they do they are something trully special.

GRNITECH 'PR' DERBY CITY SANDY
GRNITECH GRCH CASH'S CAMO JUG OF SHINE
--2012 National Grand Nite Champion American Leopard Hound
--High Scoring Leopard 2012 Autumn Oaks
--High scoring Leopard Saturday night at Leopard days 2011
--Qualified for the 2011 UKC World Hunt.
--High Scoring Leopard of the 2011 UKC World Hunt
--Breed Winner for the 2011 Purina Race Hunt
--2011 South Dakota State Hunt Champion
CH RYLEIGH'S GRIM REAPER
--Tri-State Coonhunters Association 2010 Bench show dog of the year

And the Redbone--
2013 Tri-State Overall Bench Show Dog of the Year:
'PR' CH RAGGED RIDGE CJ (Willie) co-owned with Bob Julson

Posted by grwaskom on 08-11-2013 01:32 PM:

The Myers and Sting bred Black & Tans are cold nosed , fast track dogs that get treed quick. and accurate

Posted by boxmanwillie on 08-11-2013 06:37 PM:

track dogs

there are several breeds the leopards are a joke there not even in the same class as a real hound lol

Posted by Slowpoke 2012 on 08-11-2013 06:52 PM:

Re: track dogs

quote:
Originally posted by boxmanwillie
there are several breeds the leopards are a joke there not even in the same class as a real hound lol

WOW! Kind of harsh on'em ain't ya.

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Posted by patches9452 on 08-11-2013 08:03 PM:

people quit breeding for track and just make them loners so they can fly thru the country and tree those easy ones.... that way they never have to know what kind of track dog they have

Posted by cornboy on 08-11-2013 08:56 PM:

Thanks for the info guys . Patches you are correct seems everyone else just wants a dog to get deep and get treed

Posted by THOMAS SANDERS on 08-11-2013 11:20 PM:

Re: Track dogs ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cornboy
Is any bloodline left in any breed that still produces dogs that take tracks as they come and have a coon in the tree at the end ? [/QUOTEget you some machinegun bred walkers see what a track dog is about trail and tree coon other dogs wont bark on!!!

Posted by groworg1 on 08-12-2013 12:10 AM:

the problem with todays dog is scdds. its that simple !

Posted by boxmanwillie on 08-12-2013 02:04 AM:

RE TRACK DOGS

DID NOT MEAN TO BE SO HARSH NEVER DREW A LEOPARD THAT COULD RUN A TRACK LIKE A HOUND NOT SAYING ALL ARE THAT WAY JUST WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN THE HUNTS SINCE THEY BECAME PART OF THE HOUND GROUP I AM NOT COLOR BLIND IN ANY WAY DIE HARD WALKER MAN I HAVE A MAIN ST DINO PUP THAT IS COMING A LONG REAL WELL I WISH THE LEOPARD GOOD LUCK IN THE HUNTS AT OAKS AND THE WORLD ONCE AGAIN BOYS DID NOT MEAN TO SOUND SO HARSH

Posted by Dwils on 08-12-2013 02:40 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by patches9452
people quit breeding for track and just make them loners so they can fly thru the country and tree those easy ones.... that way they never have to know what kind of track dog they have

Well in all reality the reason alot of people want that type is for one they are easier to train. They look good when coon move. They usually have a coon when they get deep like that ... And if they are good strike dogs, they can win alot .

The track dog that takes a track as they come IMO takes alot more time to finish In the woods , alot more headaches when they are younger ; like backtracking, straddling etc. but when finished they tree twice as many coon as the others do per acre

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Posted by cornboy on 08-12-2013 02:01 PM:

Thanks for the info guys . Guess just not many track dogs left these days

Posted by josh on 08-12-2013 03:46 PM:

An awfull lot of guys judge how a dog tracks by how much mouth it gives or how few trees it makes.

Truth be told, the best track dog is the quickest tree dog...assuming they are accurate, of couse.

Posted by Trey M on 08-12-2013 04:12 PM:

JMO......the track dogs that don't say much but enough to keep the strike open in any KC are the ones that are accurate. Also they open more as they get closer to the tree. That's my (opinion) on honest track dogs. Just basing this on what I hunt and my experience with him in the woods.......again JMO lol!!

SKUNA RIVER PYRO @ STUD
Trey Miller
Cell # 706-577-4124
Email lowhillkennels@gmail.com
(Copy And Paste Video)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0TYBB5mhK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
**Skuna River Bark + Schultz's Stylish Coma = Pyro**

Posted by Bryan K Webb on 08-16-2013 06:31 PM:

A track dog is a dog that goes hunting and takes his tracks as they come to them. A real track dog has the ability to pick his head up on a good track and tries to run to catch. However, also they must have the ability to get down and work and grub a bad track out.. Brains, guts, and lots of time in the woods make track dogs. However, most good track dogs will still have nights when they bite off more then they can chew on a track..

Posted by Ray&Luie on 08-16-2013 08:33 PM:

Track dogs

The first thing i look at in any hound no matter what his color or Breed is his ability to move a fair track, for his nose. any hound should run his track to catch and take his track acording to his ability to move it from point A to point B, i will not feed a hound that cant move his track and finish it ,with Atleast convencing results at the end! all the good ones iv owned could do that and when i went to the tree i expected to find the prize . I dont really care for the real colder nosed hounds because its not really nessasary if the hound will go looking in the right place for his tracks , Drifting is a big plus for any hound if he dosent drift to much . Most of the breeding today produses hounds that will follow Coons but not get under them and run them to catch. if you want to test this take your hound to a near by corn field early in the morning and if he can run his coon out of that cornfield up a tree , light pole or catch him on the ground then you can say you have a track dog ..........jmop

Ray Hudson

Posted by slobbermouth21 on 08-18-2013 11:47 PM:

Buddy of mine is still breeding his line that has dogs that have been dead for 20 years or more that can lay them up...just went and picked a female up out of a cross he made to a female out of skuna river fred or bark..they should be track dogs

Posted by tsizemore on 08-19-2013 02:06 AM:

black dogs

John Coles breeding are track dogs and alan whites dogs are track dogs

Posted by davery on 08-19-2013 02:17 AM:

First off track dogs are born and are gifted to run a track,you can hunt one these dogs that cant run a track the rest of his\her life and thay still cant run a track,we have been breeding track dogs and good balance treedogs for forty years,anyone is welcome to come see some of them.

Posted by kayapellijed390 on 08-19-2013 02:55 AM:

Re: track dogs

quote:
Originally posted by boxmanwillie

I used to be a walker man until 'ol Shine changed my mind. I have hunted with some of the best out there and have owned and handled some dang nice walkers. My Sandy bitch had never been in a hunt in her life when we got ahold of her at six years old. Got a first my first night hunting her and granded her out and made the final 100 of the world in less than a year. She is one heck of nice coondog. I don't blame you for your opinion, very few of the leps out there are hunted in the hunts and I the vast majority of the ones I have drawn at hunts like Leopard Days, wouldn't eat my dog feed for long but there are very specufic lines, and individual leopard hounds out there that can impress just about anyone. Not saying the ones I hunt are all world burners and the best that ever walked the earth but they most definately are track dogs.

GRNITECH 'PR' DERBY CITY SANDY
GRNITECH GRCH CASH'S CAMO JUG OF SHINE
--2012 National Grand Nite Champion American Leopard Hound
--High Scoring Leopard 2012 Autumn Oaks
--High scoring Leopard Saturday night at Leopard days 2011
--Qualified for the 2011 UKC World Hunt.
--High Scoring Leopard of the 2011 UKC World Hunt
--Breed Winner for the 2011 Purina Race Hunt
--2011 South Dakota State Hunt Champion
CH RYLEIGH'S GRIM REAPER
--Tri-State Coonhunters Association 2010 Bench show dog of the year

And the Redbone--
2013 Tri-State Overall Bench Show Dog of the Year:
'PR' CH RAGGED RIDGE CJ (Willie) co-owned with Bob Julson

Posted by Ky Show Girl on 08-19-2013 03:51 AM:

always figured the 1 that treed the most coons at the end of
the night was the best track dog.when you play in these hills
you will under stand.

Posted by Oak Ridge on 08-20-2013 02:09 AM:

The truth of the matter is that most coon hunters today have never hunted with a TRUE track dog. Until you have seen a dog run a 24 hour old cat track in two feet of snow, or seen a dog grub out a two day old track in the desert, and work that track until they are running it to catch....

I have only had one true phenominal track dog in my 40 years of hunting....and once you see one, it certainly changes your perception of a track dog

To put it into perspective for coon hunting, this is the dog that snatches tracks away from the ground pounders and runs them like they were painted on the ground....and not many dogs can do that.

Posted by cornboy on 08-20-2013 02:25 AM:

Oak Ridge I take it you have walkers do you hunt dogs that can run a track instead of fly through the country and grab a tree

Posted by jackbob42 on 08-20-2013 03:28 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
The truth of the matter is that most coon hunters today have never hunted with a TRUE track dog. .....

I agree with Joe.
And 90% of those few that have , would swear the dog was running a deer and dropped off on a coon ! LOL

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Posted by Come Get Some on 08-20-2013 03:56 AM:

Track dogs

Wipeout Wipeout Wipeout!!! Trailing dogs that tree coons and they Win!!!