UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 56 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Jump Outs (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928524407)

Posted by Preacher Tom on 11-20-2019 06:56 PM:

Jump Outs

When I was a boy (a long time ago) we started all our pups by letting the old dogs tree a coon then tie them back and jump the coon out and let the young dogs run and (hopefully) retree it. Back then a natural part of coon hunting was tree climbing. Some said it would make dogs loose at the tree but I never saw it do so unless way overdone. Just wondering if any of these young guys climb trees and shake out coon?

Posted by Cry Tough Blues on 11-20-2019 08:00 PM:

I doubt it , they can’t sit in a deer stand without a harness on

Posted by blueticker on 11-20-2019 08:13 PM:

Climbing trees was just a part of coon hunting. When I fell out of a tree and fractured bones in my back I decided to use bullets to knock coon out.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Posted by Richard Lambert on 11-20-2019 08:56 PM:

Climbing trees is a thing of the past. Young boys are not allowed to climb trees anymore. It is too dangerous. Very few are even allowed to play out in the woods by themselves.

Posted by Corey Gruver on 11-20-2019 09:48 PM:

I know for a fact that tree climbing stopped with my Dad's generation in our family. He did enough tree climbing back in the day that he never had dogs when I was growing up.

Some deviations in culture are for the best LOL

Posted by Larry Hall on 11-20-2019 10:03 PM:

Very common practice in the old days when I was young. Haven’t considered it in many years. Live traps have eliminated the practice for most of us.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 11-20-2019 10:28 PM:

Corey, are you saying that the younger generation are deviants?

Posted by Nick B on 11-20-2019 10:56 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Very few are even allowed to play out in the woods by themselves.

That’s because of the old guys in the woods 😁

Posted by Preacher Tom on 11-20-2019 11:36 PM:

I will say this if you want to fire a young dog up on treeing get a full grown man up there making the whole tree shake trying to make the coon jump out. They will get excited.

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 11-21-2019 12:30 AM:

We squall a lot of coon out. I'm not going to climb a tree.

Posted by DL NH on 11-21-2019 12:57 AM:

By the looks I'm going to be in the minority.................I learned the hard way that shaking out coon for a rerun is a good way to ruin a good young prospect.

I wouldn't even do it to a seasoned hound. When they hit the ground I want 'em dead.

Posted by big boy on 11-21-2019 01:22 AM:

Ruined the best young dog I’ve had that way .

Posted by Roy Grant on 11-21-2019 01:34 AM:

Lmao I can climb for a week and still have 1 foot on the ground..

Posted by shadinc on 11-21-2019 01:47 AM:

I climbed a few. I have a couple of pictures of coons in hollow trees. The dogs can be seen treeing below. It's dumb to climb trees, hollow ones with dead limbs is even dumber.

Posted by Sfox91 on 11-21-2019 02:08 AM:

Knock em out John

Posted by yadkintar on 11-21-2019 02:13 AM:

I climbed one last night ! But it was laying on the ground and I fell on it and I crawled all the way down it trying to get up.

Tar

Posted by Preacher Tom on 11-21-2019 02:13 AM:

Let me be clear I haven't climbed a tree in many years. Maybe I was what they called young and dumb.

Posted by 2ol2hunt on 11-21-2019 02:51 AM:

How do you ruin one like that?

Posted by Cory Highfill on 11-21-2019 03:13 AM:

Man, I used to climb like a squirrel. I could get up almost any tree unless it looked like a telephone pole. I shook a couple out over the years that were so high that the fall killed them.

I never saw it ruin a young dog. Never saw it help one alot either, but it sure was fun.

Posted by DL NH on 11-21-2019 03:16 AM:

What I've seen, especially with a young dog just starting to tree well, you jump a coon out and they hear it hit the ground. You cut them loose and they look for the coon, pick up the track and run it and tree it again or maybe something happens they don't get it treed again. The latter being the worse thing that can happen. Many after doing this will tree for a bit and then check to be sure there's no track going out. I've seen several that never came back to tree the way they did before jumping the coon out. Constantly checking to be sure the coon hasn't bailed. It can also ruin a hound from staying treed under pressure.

Many of you guys likely been at this longer than me may see it differently but that's been my observation. My advice (whatever it's worth!) is if you want to knock a coon out to your dogs make sure it's dead, preferably when it hits the ground. Seen some hounds never come to what they might have been had they not had coon jumped out to them to run again.

Posted by Redneck Mafia on 11-21-2019 03:17 AM:

Cheyenne didn't carry a gun coonhunting until he was 30 some years old. If he wanted a coon out to the dogs he would climb the tree and knock it out. He didn't stop this until one rainy night he slipped and fell out onto a rock pile.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 11-21-2019 03:23 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
We squall a lot of coon out. I'm not going to climb a tree.

We squall several out. But most people I have talk to in other places around country act like I'm lying or crazy when I tell them the number of coon we squall out. Makes me wonder if some reason its different in other parts of countru.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Nathan Phenix on 11-21-2019 03:28 AM:

It's a good way to get hot tracks infront pups that are just starting but to much of it can cause problem. It's like cage coon sometime it help depending on how far a dog is along. And to much of it can definitely cause problems.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Posted by Dave Richards on 11-21-2019 03:34 AM:

Jen Cummings

Lol. I climbed lots of trees in my younger days, never fell out of a tree, but would not trust myself to climb anything now that I am old and out of shape. ( FAT). Shaking coons out has it's plus and minuses, different dogs react differently as some of the posters have commented, it helps some and can hurt some depending on how solid a tree dog the dog actually is. Dave

Posted by shadinc on 11-21-2019 04:05 AM:

I put a hand rail on my back door step last week. I don't even trust myself climbing steps anymore.