UKC Forums
Show all 8 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- training them right!!! (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928363481)

Posted by elijah on 02-20-2014 04:47 PM:

training them right!!!

ok guys and gals I would like for those of you who train pups and really know how to get them on the right track list how to start to finish. I know a lot of times it depends on each individual pup/dog but generally speaking what all you do.

Example:
3 to 4 Months= drag coon, walks in woods, etc. and how often ???
4to 5 months =???????
5 to 6 months=???????
6-10 months=
10months on

I would really like some details thaks

Posted by pigsit on 02-20-2014 05:47 PM:

Re: training them right!!!

quote:
Originally posted by elijah
ok guys and gals I would like for those of you who train pups and really know how to get them on the right track list how to start to finish. I know a lot of times it depends on each individual pup/dog but generally speaking what all you do.

Example:
3 to 4 Months= drag coon, walks in woods, etc. and how often ???
4to 5 months =???????
5 to 6 months=???????
6-10 months=
10months on

I would really like some details thaks

3mos - to ten - Pet, feed play with, keep the pen clean
10 mos - On depending on the mental maturity of the pup, start hauling

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Posted by aj2sharp on 02-20-2014 06:04 PM:

I wouldn't say I can really get one going but exposure is a big one for pups. Carry it everywhere with you and it is use to everything when the hunting starts. It can ride without getting sick, it doesn't coward away when people walk up, and by the time you start hunting it, it should have a great handle on just a lot of exposure.

Posted by brack carr on 02-20-2014 07:01 PM:

before they are three months old I let the kids play with them every day, at about 3mos I take them in the woods and let them run around in the woods in the day time. the hole time I work on making them to coming to me and working them to load, I also watch them in the kennel for them to bark at rabbits ,that is about 5 to 6mos old. then I bring a cage coon out if that goes good the next time I turn the coon loose in front of the pup then let the pup loose, if it sight runs and trees it the next time I do the same thing but don't let the pup see it before you turn it loose,if that go right take it hunting by its self and every once in a while with a old dog

Posted by camcooper on 02-20-2014 07:04 PM:

hay

Hi I just wait till there 6-8 months old and big enough to keep up with older dog and big enough
Not to get wuped by coon and then I take them with old dog until they run and tree with older dog then I start taking them by their self I don't fool with drags or caged coon

Posted by chip johnson on 02-20-2014 07:13 PM:

born till 4 months - lots of play,tug a war with toys or what ever.

4-5 months- i will train them to come when called and tone break them to come. I will also tease them with a hide at the kennel to get them to bark at it. After i get them trained to come i will start doing drags with a hide that i fleshed and streached. i dont put the hide in a tree because i dont want the pup treeing on sight. I just throw it on the ground or tie it to the base of a tree so when the pup finds it he can play tug a war with it. I use the fleshed and streached hide because it dont rot

6 months or later-time to take them hunting if they are trailing a drag real good and act like they are ready to hunt

Posted by elijah on 02-20-2014 07:27 PM:

thanks guys keep em coming

Posted by Larry Atherton on 02-20-2014 08:24 PM:

0-4 weeks handle, pet, and talk to them.
4-5 weeks start obedience training and continue.
6 weeks on play and take daily walks.
12 weeks continue to play, obedience train, and expose to woods, water, travel.
Continue woods exposure until it starts to hunt.
Start to hunt night.
Once it trees single out and hunt alone.

I am interested in a pup's natural ability so I don't lay drags or show them a coon any more.

Aim small miss small