UKC Forums
Show all 17 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Nite Hunts (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928316511)

Posted by scooterman04 on 04-30-2013 01:47 AM:

Nite Hunts

I have not been in the hunts for seven years been to two the last two weekends! I don't remeber all the babbling idiots is that what everyone is breeding for now days. I hunt a style of dog that leaves at a run get in there get struck an get treed dog an all night i took last strike!!!! All night we would unleash the hounds an two steps they would strike a red hot track in the middle of a feild every dump! What in the world happened to hunting a honest strike dog jus wondering is this what people wont or what?

Posted by terno on 04-30-2013 01:54 AM:

Dogs are the same as they were seven years ago... Good dog trainers us what is slacking ... Jmo

Posted by VA BLUEDOGS on 04-30-2013 01:58 AM:

nite hunts

I know as well as anybody there's always something to gripe about but I'm with you on this one buddy. I'm huntin one of the better dogs I've ever had, which is probly not half as good as most people hunt and I'm at the bottom of the scorecard a lot . Last to strike, first to tree on a regular basis. I know you'll hit a hot coon sometimes but not everytime! I also like how dogs can be boohooin and another dog gets by his self, starts treein and they all pile in on him. Maybe me and the dog are too honest. Haha

Posted by mauser06 on 04-30-2013 01:59 AM:

Seems to come and go in spells it seems...for a few years when I started they were bad....then for a few years it was pretty quiet....now they seem to be back in full force...a few casts I've been on have had a dog each cast that never ever stopped barking...even in the truck..on the leash...the entire time it was loose....

If only 1 DPG babbles and it ain't the judges chances are something may be done about it....if its more than 1 dog or the judges your gunna taken whatever you can get....

Lost a cast due to babblers...last drop they all babbled except mine...mine struck down in the bottom for 25 and slammed a tree quick with a coon...I needed the deserved 100 strike for the win...of course the "winner" had the 100...mine had em all shut out before they honestly struck..theyndidnt bark for 2-3 mins after they went out hot and were 300+ yds away!

If your dog babbles in am FINE with that...as long as you strike it honest...problem is here coon are thick enough that its hard to prove a babble as we are struck in within the minute or within 2-4mins regularly...

'PR' Trackman's Dizzy Duke

Posted by brittanernst on 04-30-2013 02:07 AM:

I think it's a combination of breeding and training. Those dogs should have to pass an htx first jmo

Brittan Ernst

Posted by LIL-E on 04-30-2013 02:12 AM:

Maybe the dog with the first tree with a coon should get awarded the 100 strike if it is sitting under a coon no matter what it was struck for. And if it is saying me too no strike points at all but that's not going to happen.

Posted by Pigeon on 04-30-2013 02:17 AM:

Every registry needs a 1 minute rule. Try winning in the $KC registry where a babble is the same as treeing a coon.

Do you know how much money you could win with that dog?.................Now ask if I care.

Posted by terno on 04-30-2013 02:47 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Pigeon
Every registry needs a 1 minute rule. Try winning in the $KC registry where a babble is the same as treeing a coon.

What is the difference in that and a dog covering with 4:55 gone on a tree and still getting 75...

Posted by Pigeon on 04-30-2013 02:54 AM:

Your guaranteed at least a 50 pt seperation. I'll take my chances against a dog that covers at 4:55 verses one that covers for 75 and goes in for an automatic 100.

Do you know how much money you could win with that dog?.................Now ask if I care.

Posted by LIL-E on 04-30-2013 02:57 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Pigeon
Your guaranteed at least a 50 pt seperation. I'll take my chances against a dog that covers at 4:55 verses one that covers for 75 and goes in for an automatic 100.

Posted by terno on 04-30-2013 03:17 AM:

I would too I'm just sayin there are rules in both kc's that are not the most efficient for the dog that trees the coon....Not just $kc

Posted by Jon Millwood on 04-30-2013 03:38 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by brittanernst
I think it's a combination of breeding and training. Those dogs should have to pass an htx first jmo
Dont take this the wrong way or as me trying to call you out. I just have a question. Why should dogs have to pass an HTX first? So they can prove they can tree their own coon? There are plenty of dogs that get hunted alone every night that tree their own coon but when you put them in the woods with another dog they mee too. Other dogs are simply a distraction to them.. I hear people saying dogs should have a hunt title before they are able to be a show dog.. Why? Some people like HTX events, some people like night hunts, some people like field trials and some like bench shows.. People breed their dogs to compete in the events they like.. People need to stop trying to force the event they like onto other events.. The fact is if you change the rules.. The dogs are gonna change in a few years to get an advantage on the rules.. If we were all packing the kind of dogs we claim we have we'd beat all these slick treeing babbling idiots..

The kennel clubs are in the business to make money and the rules are always gonna be written to level the playing field so they can attract the most entries possible..

Posted by amazingcursouth on 04-30-2013 03:43 AM:

i know of a few studs that throws some loose mouth dogs. hunted with 2 pups out of different females on one stud and no sooner did these dogs get in the dark they started letting it rip. Get a Bean dog and you will get a dog that knows how to use their mouth. Bean is throwing hounds like we used to hunt.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Posted by brittanernst on 04-30-2013 07:13 AM:

I just have seen alot of slick treeing idiots in the woods who half of them I bet can't find a coon by themselves. I know other dogs affect the outcome. Just saying I have seen dogs win a hunt that can't find their own coon to save their lives. I own one that pulls up slick about fifty percent of the time and I don't competition hunt her or breed her. Granted anyone can do what they want but I love following a group of honest trail dogs.

Brittan Ernst

Posted by nccoonhunter197 on 04-30-2013 11:59 AM:

In my opinion babblers are untrained. I am not talking about the dog that lets out a few excited barks off the leash on the first drop. I mean the dog that is open from leash to tree. They need to be corrected. Just like anything you have to spend a little time to correct it. If the owner does not care than the dog will not care. We are supposed to be the smarter of the two. Genetic or not any undesired trait can be corrected with the right training as long as the dog is receptive and willing to learn. The methods may differ from dog to dog and trainer to trainer but the desired result should be a dog that conforms to the owners expectations. We have all broke dogs from off game. Same theory applies to babblers, tree jackers, face barkers, etc. With enough correction with a dog that can learn it can be fixed. On the other hand, if the dog is not willing they need to be culled and not bred just because of their papers. Stupid has been bred into the hounds by us. Lack of training, repeated crosses off undesired traits, and lust for titles has caused the problems in the dogs that are hunted and complained about.

Brian Teague 252-649-3050

Posted by slobbermouth21 on 04-30-2013 05:43 PM:

Play it to your advantage

Posted by scooterman04 on 05-01-2013 03:18 PM:

babblers!

I know you can scratch them for babbling but when three out of four dogs are doing it. The rule is majority cast rules
so we all know how that would have ended up!