UKC Forums
Show all 13 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Suggestions on using shots to bring dogs into heat (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=466757)

Posted by REDBONE 42 on 12-08-2011 03:15 AM:

Suggestions on using shots to bring dogs into heat

I need some info on using a shot to bring a dog into heat. Is there any side affects, is it effective,would you recommend it?

Posted by POTOMAC on 12-08-2011 04:20 AM:

Don't do it!!!! Unless your dog is old and just a last effort to get pups out of her you can call me 571-233-5819

Posted by oldman on 12-08-2011 04:29 AM:

you're fixing to mess your female up if you give her one of those shots.mother nature knows best.

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Posted by Fred Harroun on 12-08-2011 04:29 AM:

did it once never again screwed females heat cycle up for 3 years.

NPHA
APA

Posted by REDBONE 42 on 12-08-2011 04:31 AM:

whys that

Posted by REDBONE 42 on 12-08-2011 04:32 AM:

ok thanks for the help

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 12-08-2011 09:58 AM:

This is from a News letter I just got from Revival Animal Health

Bitch problems are a popular topic among breeders, but the truth is, most bitches have no problems. Bitches do everything to maintain their body and if there is excess, they reproduce. The number one issue that costs us money is bitches that are not cycling. If we have a number of females are not cycling, the first thing to look at is their diet and vitamins. Poor quality protein and imbalanced vitamins can be the cause, and you can correct cycling if they have the right diet, vitamins and minerals.

In the wild dog pack, one or two alpha bitches will cycle, while the rest do not. There may be 4 or more females, but their ovaries will stay in anestrous (quiet ovary) and out of heat. This is good - the best genetics will breed while the rest contribute to feeding. Skipping heats can send normal adult bitches into anestrous as well.

It's hard on bitches to rest them and intermittently breed them. Typically the first litter after the "rest" is difficult for the bitch and there will also be fewer weaned puppies. However, if we do a good job feeding and whelping females, they can cycle again with no issues at their normal 6-month interval.

We also see this phenomenon in the kennel with the young female. We'll skip heats to get the dog physically and mentally ready to raise a litter, but then they stop cycling. Small breeds and especially poodles are notorious for doing this. This dog is easily started again!

What to do if I have females not cycling?

First, make sure everything is normal with your system, especially with their diet. Ask your veterinarian for help if there is any debate.

Put the females on a vitamin mineral supplement daily. More vitamin and mineral issues have been diagnosed in the last few years - there are many reasons, but the important thing is: they are easy to correct. While bringing them in we want optimum levels in the female. I like Doc Roy'sŪ Daily Care as it is easy to use, it's made in the USA, and it's economical.

In pigs, PG 600 is the hormone used to start cycling in gilts. It knocks the scar tissue off the ovary, allowing the ovary to start cycling. Dogs also respond well to PG 600 - use at 1cc/20 pounds. For the best results, give the first two doses 5 days apart, then weekly until in heat. Many breeders will say Monday and Friday and then every Friday. Most are in heat by the third week, but if there is any question you can give one more injection, with a maximum of 6 injections.

PG 600 is a great management tool and I commonly use it in young females who are old enough to breed but are not coming in or have an irregular heat cycle. We are 80% successful at getting these maiden females to cycle again. If there is one tool you can use to manage your females more effectively, it's PG 600 to keep your bitches cycling regularly, for healthier moms and pups every time.

Dr. B

http://www.revivalanimal.com/PG-600.html?a=REV111202PD

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by riproarinkennel on 12-08-2011 12:10 PM:

IT'S NOT NICE TO PLAY WITH MOTHERNATURE !!!

http://www.myspace.com/janetandbarrymorris

Posted by Chris Gerth on 12-08-2011 01:33 PM:

PG 600

Been using PG 600 for almost two years now. It works well but we only do two injections. Three days after the first injection if we do not see blood or swelling we inject again. Female will run a normal heat cycle and if she doesn't start coming in after the 2nd injection she will right around 6 months later. Had anywhere from 8 to 4 pups. We dose at the same rate and the female cycles regularly after that. We have not had to use it on the same female yet.

Posted by Majestic Tree H on 12-08-2011 01:40 PM:

Re: PG 600

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerth
Been using PG 600 for almost two years now. It works well but we only do two injections. Three days after the first injection if we do not see blood or swelling we inject again. Female will run a normal heat cycle and if she doesn't start coming in after the 2nd injection she will right around 6 months later. Had anywhere from 8 to 4 pups. We dose at the same rate and the female cycles regularly after that. We have not had to use it on the same female yet.

By what I have been reading you can adjust a Females 6 mo Cycles to a "More Convenyent Time of Year" And Extreamly Safely ..

Or if their Cycles are Wacked Out, it will get them back into even 6 month Cycles..

But I have also Read that it Should be atleast 4 months after the Bitches Last Cycle

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Posted by Chris Gerth on 12-08-2011 02:00 PM:

Steve

That's right, and the reasons you listed are part of the reason we tried it. We have moved a couple heat cycles so we did not get winter pups. I did forget to add the four month wait after a heat cycle. We have a couple females that only come in once a year but we have not messed with them as they come in middle of Feb and beginning of March. Running right around 75% success rate with it. 9 out of 12 over the past couple years. One dog was 10 and in good health, she ran a cycle but did not stick fellow we know was wanting pups out of her so we tried it. Another buddies dog was 5 or 6 and she had not ran a normal cycle ever and she never swelled or cycled at all. Last one was a 3 year female that had only came in once and she never cycled either but did 7 months later and is currently weaning a litter of 4.

Posted by Chris Gerth on 12-08-2011 02:14 PM:

PG600

Forgot to add one important part about giving the injection. We put it in the back leg hip area into the muscle. When you give this shot it will take two people, one to hold the head and the other to give the shot. This injection does burn and the dog will not like it. A muzzle or electrical tape is not a bad idea either.

Posted by Chris.S on 12-08-2011 02:26 PM:

You always hear about the horror stories and hardly ever hear about the 999 times out of 1000 everything worked out fine.

Before going the forced heat cycle route try a couple other things, 1) have her thyroid checked, if everything is normal then, 2)find a bitch in heat and kennel her with that dog, if these don't work break out the needle/pill move thing along a bit.