UKC Forums
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Rat Attack (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=428917)

Posted by Modawg1 on 05-25-2011 01:13 AM:

Rat Attack

Are the Rat Attack dogs very accurate on the tree? What about the Sacket Jr. dogs?

Posted by hillbilly56 on 05-25-2011 01:49 AM:

rat attack

i hunted with some that my buddys had in my opion they are tree happy grab the first tree that has scent and not check to see if coon went on know i going to step on the walker guys toes but thats what i have seen in that bloodline jmo

Posted by Ashley Pratt on 05-25-2011 02:00 AM:

You're gonna see and hear good and bad about both. As many pups as they threw you have to realize they won't all make it.

Posted by Whordel on 05-25-2011 05:40 AM:

Yes they were some Rat Attack hounds that were tree happy BUT alot of that was due to poor handling.My Rat Attack pup was treeing his own coon at 7 months old,he would also split tree and hunt by hisself.He started grabbing slicks also but I didnt let him get away with it either.He was also one of the smartest and best handling dogs Ive ever owned.The hounds directly out of Sackett Jr. were probably some of the best coondawgs Ive ever hunted with period and I dont know if I have ever seen a dog out of Sackett that wouldnt hunt though I know they were probably some.My old male dog was out of a female that was out of the very last litter ever that came out of Sackett Jr. and Im pretty for sure every dog out of that litter were coondogs.Alot of people like to lable this line as being tree happy,well I can also ad that at least they would tree or do something,thats saying more than some of the other big stud dog names of that time that I spent thousands of dollars on.Just look at the pile of money the Sackett line of hounds have won.

2012 Autumn Oaks Cast Win
2012 Qualified Lee Crawford
2012 Qualified Purina National
2013 Walker Days Cast Win
2013 Qualified ACHA World
2 Wins toward Grand
Back to work so the hunting and hunts are over for now lol.
*2013 Performance Sire*

***RIP Gr.Nt.Ch River Kennel Rock***

Chris Cordle
BOSS LIGHTS
CCC
Carter County Cooners

Posted by coon dawwg on 05-25-2011 12:25 PM:

..BEST hound I ever hunted with was out of Rat Attack.........so were the 4 or 5 WORST................tree happy idiots.......BUT........that's TRAINER error, not the hounds fault in most cases......jmo

Posted by MikeR on 05-25-2011 02:45 PM:

Sorry I've got to disagree with the last 2 posts.

Slick treeing is a result of lack of nose and the inability to find the end of the track (tree) which is IMO is genetic problem not handler induced.

Sure a handler can reprimand a dog and send them on but you can't put nose and accuracy into a dog, either they have it or they don't.

I've seen a few good pretty accurate Sackett Jr. dogs but I've seen WAY more hot nosed tree happy slick treeing dogs in the Sackett Jr line than most of the other Walker lines.

Sackett Jr. put tree power in dogs not tracking ability.

Posted by Bob Hennessey on 05-25-2011 03:39 PM:

Good Stud, cull female = poor pups. Good Stud, good female = better chance for good pups. Poor trainers will ruin most pups. Look at the number of pups Sackett Jr. and Rat Attack threw. How many of the females bred to them were culls or at least should have never been bred? Just like now there are lots of people that are breeding females that shouldn't be bred, but to try to get their money back by breeding them to a big name stud and sell the pups. I don't think either of these dogs were or are any better or worse then any other studs in any of the hound breeds. If you are looking to buy a pup you need to look at both the male and female. JMO!

You can't fix STUPID!

Posted by amazingcursouth on 05-25-2011 04:17 PM:

thank you for the last post seeker. the % of pups thrown by most studs today are insane. And most are bred to poor females. If the female in not up to par don't breed her. I don't care if she is titled or not. Coon dog to Coon dog is the only thing that is going to help any breed. But go back and look at the magic crosses. Sackett to dixie and harry to abby etc. The females were good and good quality.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Posted by chris baker on 05-26-2011 01:25 AM:

How can anyone doubt the reproducing ability of either of those two? Not to mention it is father and son that is in question. Don't have my bloodlines in front of me but their reproduction percentages have set records that may never be exceeded and if they do I would bet they would be a decendent of one of the two.

Posted by thedirtyrat on 05-26-2011 01:36 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Whordel
Yes they were some Rat Attack hounds that were tree happy BUT alot of that was due to poor handling.My Rat Attack pup was treeing his own coon at 7 months old,he would also split tree and hunt by hisself.He started grabbing slicks also but I didnt let him get away with it either.He was also one of the smartest and best handling dogs Ive ever owned.The hounds directly out of Sackett Jr. were probably some of the best coondawgs Ive ever hunted with period and I dont know if I have ever seen a dog out of Sackett that wouldnt hunt though I know they were probably some.My old male dog was out of a female that was out of the very last litter ever that came out of Sackett Jr. and Im pretty for sure every dog out of that litter were coondogs.Alot of people like to lable this line as being tree happy,well I can also ad that at least they would tree or do something,thats saying more than some of the other big stud dog names of that time that I spent thousands of dollars on.Just look at the pile of money the Sackett line of hounds have won.
Well Said

Posted by BRANDON KING on 05-26-2011 03:30 AM:

Will not own one without RAT or ABBY in its pedigree once,twice or three times. And my record speaks for itself and my dogs do also... CUTTER over RAT females crosses the best thats doubling up..

Posted by Jon Millwood on 05-26-2011 03:42 AM:

I have 2 Rat dogs. One of them place 1st registered at the 08 Winter Classic and won the 08 Ga State Champoinship. The other one has $38,000+ won in pkc, won 2 Cadillacs, Russ Myer Invitational twice and is a Grnitech..

Posted by amazingcursouth on 05-26-2011 04:47 AM:

I like Rat Dogs. I hunt treeing curs and have a few that their grand daddy is rat attack. He was a reproducer that is for sure.

Posted by Knox on 05-26-2011 04:52 AM:

Tree Power.............

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Sorry I've got to disagree with the last 2 posts.

Slick treeing is a result of lack of nose and the inability to find the end of the track (tree) which is IMO is genetic problem not handler induced.

Sure a handler can reprimand a dog and send them on but you can't put nose and accuracy into a dog, either they have it or they don't.

I've seen a few good pretty accurate Sackett Jr. dogs but I've seen WAY more hot nosed tree happy slick treeing dogs in the Sackett Jr line than most of the other Walker lines.

Sackett Jr. put tree power in dogs not tracking ability.

I have to disagree with your last sentence, Sackett Jr. put alot of tracking ability in his offspring, if they were off a quality female, I have owned some direct off Jr. and plenty that were up close on him............He was a REPRODUCING freak that put hounds out there that are still REPRODUCING freaks.................Generation after Generation..............JMO...........Tim

=====================

Posted by amazingcursouth on 05-26-2011 04:57 AM:

I owned a dog direct off of Sackett Jr In the late 90's till 2001. He was a trailing fool. Could drift a cold feed track like he was looking at the coon. Semi tight on the ground and made the coon climb. Had a good mouth and came on the tree right. This right before all this ALL GRAND craze hit. The female was a great coon dog, bozo and pac man bred. Man i miss that old blood.