UKC Forums Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »
Show all 51 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Do possums ? (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928523214)

Posted by yadkintar on 10-14-2019 12:56 PM:

Do possums ?

Smell like coons ?

Tar

Posted by Richard Lambert on 10-14-2019 01:44 PM:

Tarbaby, I can't tell the difference in the smell but they don't taste the same.

Posted by yadkintar on 10-14-2019 01:53 PM:

Young dog had a possum and a coon in the same persimmon tree last night I dispatched the coon because he was Guilty by association lol.

Tar

Posted by Cory Highfill on 10-14-2019 02:14 PM:

We treed a persimmon with three coons and two possums in it once. I told my buddy you pet yours and I'll whip mine, one of us has gotta be right...

Posted by CHEWBACH on 10-14-2019 02:22 PM:

Possom Heck! beginning to think all game smell alike. Dang dog caught a coyote few nights ago! Big one. disposed of it. called him up out ditch and sentem on. right before that he treed a coon. goes about 50 yards and trees another coon. getem off that he goes maybe 100yrds trees another. gettem off that he goes another 200yrs trees another. getem on leash and sucker trees another while on leash. he has treed everything that can climb. And has caught everything that can make tracks. never seen anything like it. Crazy dog.

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-14-2019 08:34 PM:

Tar

When I was a young man, we didn't have many coons in this area and we did not mind our dogs treeing possums. In fact we encouraged them to tree possums, they sound just as good treed on a possum as they do on a coon. Now we have a fair amount of coons in my area and no one wants their dog to tree possums. The competition hunts caused possums to be a no no, even though the dogs sound just as good treeing both coons and possums. We demoted the poor old possum to trash status. Lol. Dave

Posted by yadkintar on 10-15-2019 12:18 AM:

I remember a time when possum hides were more than minimum wage really $7 was what a possum brought that was twice as I was making an hour. Worked some long weeks for $80 so we loved possums lol.

Tar

Posted by Josh Michaelis on 10-15-2019 02:35 AM:

All I know is there are some dogs that absolutely can not tell the difference.

Posted by Tim Green on 10-15-2019 02:49 AM:

I believe possums and armadillos smell and taste the same....for example “possum on a half shell” is a well known delicacy over around Marietta Ok I’m told.

Posted by yadkintar on 10-15-2019 03:02 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
I believe possums and armadillos smell and taste the same....for example “possum on a half shell” is a well known delicacy over around Marietta Ok I’m told.

Tuff to just smile and act like it don’t bother you huh !!

Except skunks they make me furious !!

Tar

Posted by Tim Green on 10-15-2019 03:08 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Tuff to just smile and act like it don’t bother you huh !!

Except skunks they make me furious !!

Tar

I know one thing, I make no excuses for them pot lickers. LoL. We will never go hungry for sure.

Posted by bowling on 10-15-2019 12:41 PM:

I,almost convinced a cast one night to plus my dog on a possum because there was a dead coon at base off tree I told them that dang possum was eating that coon and had that Coon scent all over him. But one wanted to question it lol so I took my minus and petted my possum dog up.

Posted by yadkintar on 10-15-2019 01:52 PM:

You can kinda do damage control on a possum but skunks everybody in the parking lot knows it and your tracking equipment smells like it for months ............ I hate skunks !!

Tar

Posted by Richard Lambert on 10-15-2019 02:32 PM:

Oh my goodness, doesn't everyone know that skunks smell different? But does anyone know what a skunk tastes like?

Posted by shadinc on 10-15-2019 02:34 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, doesn't everyone know that skunks smell different? But does anyone know what a skunk tastes like?
I hope I never get hungry enough to find out.

Posted by yadkintar on 10-15-2019 02:48 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

I do thought I was pulling a coon out of a hole one night and and it was a skunk !! He shot me right in the face ........ yacked my guts up boy I was sick.

Tar

Posted by Richard Lambert on 10-15-2019 06:07 PM:

Don't skunks have scent glands on their hind legs that spray that awful smell? I would think that once you skinned one and cut those scent glands off, the smell would be gone. Their actual meat/muscle should not smell. It would have to taste better than a veggie burger.

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-15-2019 10:02 PM:

Mr. Lambert

Regarding skunks , I knew a family that was raised very poor back in the mountains. They told me a story about another family that was even poorer than they were. That family actually lived under an overhanging Rock that they enclosed to make a shelter. Friend said that when they caught a skunk this family would skin the skunks for them , eat the meat and return the hides to my friend. While I don't know if this story is actually true, my friend was a honest person and I believe the story was true. We really don't know what we would eat if we truly was hungry enough. My friend said they trapped snowbirds to have some meat in the WINTERTIME. All of this was back in the day of no food stamps or welfare, wonder what would happen if the free food programs were cut out these days? Dave

Posted by yadkintar on 10-15-2019 10:21 PM:

Dave they would learn to grow a garden like we did and I still do my mind still thinks I have to. All our fruit for jelly’s and canned fruit is picked off this government land. The fish the other night and pears for the pear pies did also. Do I financially need to no ! But it was taught to me when I was younger and a lot poorer by my elders and it makes me happy.

Never was so poor we ate a skunk but ate a lot of red beans and rice and corn meal mush lol.

Tar

Posted by shadinc on 10-15-2019 10:42 PM:

Tar, I think folks in Brooklyn, Detroit and Chicago would have a hard time making a garden. I never tried it, but I don't think concrete plows very well.

Posted by yadkintar on 10-15-2019 10:50 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Tar, I think folks in Brooklyn, Detroit and Chicago would have a hard time making a garden. I never tried it, but I don't think concrete plows very well.

I grow enough to have plenty to give away in my back yard wife grows all the root vegetables in old cattle mineral tubs. If you have to you will find a way.

Tar

Posted by Dave Richards on 10-15-2019 11:26 PM:

Tar

You remind me of Hank Williams Jr. Song a country boy can survive! I am not so sure that all those 3 and 4 generations of welfare folks would be so lucky. Most of them think they are entitled to be supported by others, they would not have a clue how to live off the land. Giving others a helping hand is one thing, but to fully support 3 and 4 generations of the same family is absolutely insane. Skunk would be better than starving, possum would be gourmet food. Lol. Dave

Posted by jack haughton on 10-16-2019 10:59 PM:

Do possums ?

Here is a odd little fact about possums is that they love to eat ticks.The ticks do not seem to bother the Possum.And here I thought they were just a nuisance.( At least up here in the North.)

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Posted by Richard Lambert on 10-17-2019 12:36 AM:

Friend of mine runs a wholesale fish business. Down here we have lots of carp/buffalo. They are bottom feeders and considered "trash". No one would ever even think about eating one. But he has commercial fishermen that catch them by the boat load in gill nets every night. He sends a tractor trailer load of them up to Chicago every Sunday. They sell them in the projects. I guess that they don't have creeks, rivers or ponds to fish in themselves and don't know the difference between a catfish and a buffalo.

Posted by Clif Owen on 10-17-2019 12:57 AM:

That's not limited to up north. I saw a commercial fisherman pull up to a store and folks would buy those buffalo and throw them right in the trunk to carry home. No idea how they got the smell out of the car.