UKC Forums
Show all 15 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Ready for October!! Skeeters, ticks, leaves, briars (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928519118)

Posted by Larry Hall on 06-07-2019 01:51 PM:

Ready for October!! Skeeters, ticks, leaves, briars

Shoot it hasn't even got hot yet and I'm so over summer hunting. Lots of coons, tracking conditions are great, I just don't like it..

I've hunted 9 of the last 11 nights and man the skeeters and other bugs are bad.. Just complaining about first world problems..

October is coming and things will get right for a few months.

Posted by shadinc on 06-07-2019 04:14 PM:

You didn't mention one of a coon hunters biggest enemies. Daylight savings time.

Posted by 2nd Mac on 06-07-2019 06:14 PM:

What about poisonous snakes and around here now hog hunters with night vision scopes. It was just deer and turkey hunters for awhile. Now they are paying big bucks to shoot a stinking hog at night.

Posted by blacksc1 on 06-07-2019 06:20 PM:

today’s the first day we got rain in 7 weeks, two weeks of 100+ degrees and high winds, snakes, chiggers, ticks are out bad this year. Between dry hot weather and it getting dark so late haven’t had the want to go. May turn out early one morning the coming week and get my fill for the month. Of course the rain comes right after we cut all the roads in but it’s needed. Crops sure needed the rain they are all but burnt up.

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-08-2019 04:02 AM:

Summer hunting

As I have gotten old, I absolutely detest summer hunting. I hunt from October through March and that's enough for me. I just don't like the bugs snakes and poison ivy oak much less the heat. Now when I was younger nothing stopped me, I hunted 12 months a year, don't know if it's the old age or maybe a little wiser these days. Lol. Dave

Posted by Larry Hall on 06-08-2019 06:34 PM:

I don’t know how you southern boys handle the summer. I’m not afraid of snakes, but I have a healthy respect for them 😱.

I just can’t let mine sit in the kennel. If I’m home I’m hunting. But I sure am whining about it every night.

Posted by Darkwoods on 06-09-2019 12:11 AM:

I can tell you for a southern boy it stinks, but it sure is a good way to lose some weight! Better than any gym around!

I will praise the Lord who guides me; yes,
during the night I reflect and learn.

Posted by Dave Richards on 06-09-2019 12:28 AM:

Darkwoods

You got that right, that's about the only goid thing to say about summertime hunting, you WILL lose weight. Lol. Dave

Posted by Larry Hall on 06-09-2019 04:26 PM:

Lot of truth to truth to that Darkwoods.

Posted by Richard Lambert on 06-10-2019 02:17 PM:

Whining and complaining are part of hunting. We brag when we have good hunts and complain when they are bad. The rain, heat, cold, bugs, snakes just make us appreciate the good times. It just wouldn't be any challenge if every night was a good night. What kind of man just sits home on the bad nights and cherry picks the good nights for hunting? Where is the challenge in that? Y'all must really be getting old. First thing that you know, the good night's will get fewer and fewer. And your weight will go up and up. Suck it up and hit the woods. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Sitting in the woods or on the tailgate complaining is a lot different from sitting in your air conditioned living room complaining.

Posted by Nathan Harder on 06-10-2019 05:42 PM:

Don't know about where ya'll are at but for me the ticks are really down this year. I ain't seeing near the amount of ticks that I normally do.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Posted by yadkinriver on 06-10-2019 07:53 PM:

Tick numbers are low here too. Think they washed away. We got 7 1/4 " of rain in 48 hrs this weekend.

Posted by Tree-um on 06-11-2019 01:27 AM:

We were hunting just about every night except Sunday until May 1 when my 18 month old female that is doing great got snake bit. I never worried about snakes until she got bit so we’re done until it turns cool it’s just not worth loosing a good hound to a snake.

Posted by pamjohnson on 06-11-2019 01:38 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Whining and complaining are part of hunting. We brag when we have good hunts and complain when they are bad. The rain, heat, cold, bugs, snakes just make us appreciate the good times. It just wouldn't be any challenge if every night was a good night. What kind of man just sits home on the bad nights and cherry picks the good nights for hunting? Where is the challenge in that? Y'all must really be getting old. First thing that you know, the good night's will get fewer and fewer. And your weight will go up and up. Suck it up and hit the woods. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Sitting in the woods or on the tailgate complaining is a lot different from sitting in your air conditioned living room complaining.
x2

Posted by Darkwoods on 06-13-2019 02:01 AM:

Ticks

I slowed down a bit since I pulled 14 ticks off of me in one outing! Their bad here down deep south this year!

I will praise the Lord who guides me; yes,
during the night I reflect and learn.