UKC Forums Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 179 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- Treeing Walkers (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=52)
-- houses lipper (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=18903)

Posted by michelle on 04-01-2004 02:02 PM:

houses lipper

im new to all this i heard that houses lipper was a good dog he is my dog grandad could any one tell me what happened to himand how old or is there a web sit e on him

Posted by John Carroll on 04-01-2004 03:07 PM:

I think I like Lipper's grandpups better than the ones directly out of him, as a rule.

I'm not a Walker man, but I think Lipper did leave more of a distinct mark on the Walker breed than any stud dog in history.

Lipper dogs were unmistakable.

I hunted with some I really liked, and some that I didn't, but if I had a good Walker female and old Lipper was around, that's probably where she'd go.

Posted by pete on 04-01-2004 03:22 PM:

im sure somebody here can answer but pretty sure there is still lipper semen available- i had a couple dogs out of lipper and hunted alot with some others - some of best or worst dogs i can think of--i can understand that love or hate thing doug mentioned - i have lot of lipper breeding now--i wouldnt mind haveing him tied in my yard-- pete

Posted by Adam Mims on 04-01-2004 03:56 PM:

Pete & Michelle...

Pete there is semen that Mike Waltz owns. He sells it for a 1,000 a breeding. In all it cost about 1500- 2000 to breed to it.

Michelle,

The longer you stay in coonhunting with walkers the more you will appreciate Lipper. I am a die hard walker man, but the breed is going to crap breeding wise. People are breeding for blow up tree dogs and leaving the track out. Lipper was known for throwing track dogs. Just about every walker dog out there now has some lipper in them some where. He is by far, in my opinion, the dog that has influenced coonhunting more than any other. Stay with the Lipper stuff and you can't go wrong. There are some bad ones, but the good far out weighs the bad.

I will be breeding to that Lipper semen soon, I feel it is worth every penny of the money I have tied up in now.

One more thing, you can tell somebody's knowledge of dogs on their opinion on Lipper. People may not like him, but they have to admit with out him the walker breed would be even with every other breed out there......Just mediocre.

Posted by wkfii on 04-01-2004 09:51 PM:

Re: Pete & Michelle...

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Mims
Pete there is semen that Mike Waltz owns. He sells it for a 1,000 a breeding. In all it cost about 1500- 2000 to breed to it.

Michelle,

The longer you stay in coonhunting with walkers the more you will appreciate Lipper. I am a die hard walker man, but the breed is going to crap breeding wise. People are breeding for blow up tree dogs and leaving the track out. Lipper was known for throwing track dogs. Just about every walker dog out there now has some lipper in them some where. He is by far, in my opinion, the dog that has influenced coonhunting more than any other. Stay with the Lipper stuff and you can't go wrong. There are some bad ones, but the good far out weighs the bad.

I will be breeding to that Lipper semen soon, I feel it is worth every penny of the money I have tied up in now.

One more thing, you can tell somebody's knowledge of dogs on their opinion on Lipper. People may not like him, but they have to admit with out him the walker breed would be even with every other breed out there......Just mediocre.

Lipper dogs can be very good. Look further back than Lipper, and look @ Nite Champion Kentucky Judy his grand dam. House said that Clint was the best hound that he had. KENTUCKY JUDY is where a great deal of the quality came from. Houndsmen always sell the gyps short. Don't ignore her. The dogs with House's breeding for the most part have her look. My dogs with a preponderance of House breeding are all going to carry KENTUCKY in their name. Don't sell N & K Sparkie short either. Her blood is in there way back. She won Walker Days at age 12.

Posted by John Vaught on 04-01-2004 09:54 PM:

LIPPER LIPPER LIPPER

GET YOU SOME ADD TO WHATEVER YOU HAVE THAT DON'T HAVE IT.......LIPPER THE KING OF ALL WALKERS

Posted by Larry Atherton on 04-01-2004 10:04 PM:

I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Mims. There are many fine bloodlines that have excellent track dogs. Also, while I agree that Lipper diffently has had a huge affect on the walker breed, I don't believe Lipper is who made the walker breed.

If you look back at history, one of the greatest contributions to the walker breed was Johnson's Banjo and his offspring. Just look at the stir Mr. Merchant caused in the hunts back during the 70's.

Overall, I think the walker breed's strength is that there are more than just a few excellent strains. It is the variety of blood lines that make the walkers strong.

Aim small miss small

Posted by josh on 04-01-2004 10:23 PM:

Somtimes things become larger than life after they are gone.......IMO Lipper is a good example of that, sure, he threw some real nice dogs, some junk also.

I agree with Larry, there are several walker strains that can throw very good dogs.......Walker owners are very lucky in that regaurd.

IMO, Clint was the better reproducer.....

Posted by John Carroll on 04-01-2004 10:28 PM:

Clint threw a lot of the kind of dogs that worked good back where I was raised...rough, big country and thin coons, where you needed a hard going track dog with a good nose if you were going to tree many coon in January.

At least that's my take on him. They had good mouths, too.

Posted by josh on 04-01-2004 11:39 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by John Carroll
Clint threw a lot of the kind of dogs that worked good back where I was raised...rough, big country and thin coons, where you needed a hard going track dog with a good nose if you were going to tree many coon in January.

At least that's my take on him. They had good mouths, too.

Yup......I agree.

Posted by Adam Mims on 04-02-2004 01:46 AM:

Larry

I agree with you 100% that the walker breed is strong due to the variety of strains availble. I was not saying that Lipper is the only reason that walkers are where they are. I apologize for wording it the way I did.

I will say this though. Without him the walker breed would be ten years further back then what it is. Which may not be all bad, but that would be the case. If you look at the dogs that are around because of him, it is evident that he is the most impactful dog ever to hit the ground, in any breed.

The only major stud, in recent history, that would be around is Sackett Jr. if he had not been here. Even his number would have suffered dramatically if not for Lipper off spring bred to him.

Posted by wkfii on 04-03-2004 02:07 AM:

I don't know about ten years Adam. Larry's post just about hit the nail on the head. I don't think that any of the posts on this thread are less than truthful. Just think about that Finley River blood. Powerful stuff as well. I have a gyp pup paid for that has Clint and Banjo breeding from bear and cat hounds. I cannot wait to work with the hound.

Wade Lucking went through the posts about typical Walkers. I think Wade was really trying to get attention to his breed and line. Maybe he was a little too strong. I think Wade would be the first to agree that we in the Walker community have been very fortunate to have had so many good breeders and good lines.

The reason that I mention Wade, is the fact that he was also calling attention to slick hard treeing dogs. I think all the breeds have the problem. The question is, would you all rather have a superior track dog or a superior tree dog? I know I would take the track over the tree every time. There had better be a ringtail in a tree if I haul my fat body up a hill.

Posted by HOBO on 04-03-2004 02:37 AM:

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Posted by Adam Mims on 04-03-2004 03:16 AM:

Hobo,

Man that was a great picture if not for the dog on the right. Talk about major contrast in styles of dogs. That is one line I could do with out.

wkffi,
I am like you, I would take a track dog over a tree any day. The reason I say ten years is because: Staylish Hayes, Harry, Stylish Lipper and many many more reproducing stud dogs and females that reproduced off of other stuff would not have been here.

Posted by wkfii on 04-05-2004 12:21 AM:

Re: Hobo,

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Mims
Man that was a great picture if not for the dog on the right. Talk about major contrast in styles of dogs. That is one line I could do with out.

wkffi,
I am like you, I would take a track dog over a tree any day. The reason I say ten years is because: Staylish Hayes, Harry, Stylish Lipper and many many more reproducing stud dogs and females that reproduced off of other stuff would not have been here.

Good point and well put. There have been so many good Walkers. What I cannot get over, and would like to point out, is how they all resemble Kentucky Judy to a large degree. I had a post about her, and someone posted a picture. I will see if it is still there. If not, I will post it.

Posted by Adam Mims on 04-05-2004 01:01 AM:

Thanks I would like to see it. Have you hunted with her before or something?

Posted by wkfii on 04-05-2004 11:39 PM:

Kentucky Judy

No, I have not hunted with her. LOL I am not that old of a f***. I researched this issue. For my hounds, I always get the seven generation. My big pup is primarily a Clint dog through Lipper and Deanwood Drifter- but a little way back. I noticed Judy repeatedly in his pedigree and checked her out. When I found out about the comment of House, the one wherein he said Clint was the best that he had, it jived with what anecdotal information that I received about Judy. Her sire was purportedly a **** hot hound who died young and did not have that many pups. Besides you can always spot the Clint blood because they have the same general look as Judy- you know that black hood like head.

The problem about researching coonhounds is that you have to rely upon oral histories that have been passed around. With the books that I have on English Foxhounds I would say that that is par for the course. The other problem is that far too many breeders are hanging false papers on hounds. Of course the Foxhound Stud Book has, and had, the same problem. That is what ruined the English Foxhound circa 1900. Some idiot decided that Foxhounds should look like bull dogs. It became the fashion of the time, and breeders have had to breed the rough coated Welsh dogs to get the speed back. The result is that our hounds are more houndy than the English Foxhound.

I will find that photo in my files and post it for you Adam.

Posted by Mike Van Dusen on 04-06-2004 01:15 AM:

With out Clint there would be a big empty spot in history. Clint not only produced Lipper, he produced Cruze and a littermate brother to Cruze[I believe his name was Score],Cruze produced Mack's Little Joe 1990 world champion, Score produced Ohio Clipper also a world champion.Clint definately impacted our dogs, if you like House breeding, and I definately do!

Posted by Lee Currens Jr. on 10-16-2006 11:48 PM:

what all did lipper win?

Posted by larrypoe on 10-17-2006 12:29 AM:

Like alot of others said. Seen alot of good ones and a fair share of not so good. Thing is at the time almost everyone I thought was outstanding was by him.

At the time the % of dogs that made it in ANY litter wasnt as good as some we have now. People woke up and figured out that 1 racehorse and 9 plugs in a litter wasnt the road to take.

Lipper made a mark that cant be ignored. I think one of the things that have made the walkers as successful as they are, is Lipper X Rattler blood and stylish blood. Didnt hurt that they were around at the same time.

I dont hunt walkers, but if I did it would have lipper as close as I could get.

Posted by Hiphop on 10-17-2006 01:02 AM:

I thought lipper x bozo was th best.

Posted by V. Cannon on 10-17-2006 01:24 AM:

I think Bozo is best with out any Lipper.

Posted by wkfii on 10-17-2006 02:13 AM:

Re: Re: Re: Pete & Michelle...

quote:
Originally posted by zapper
did you ever get a female bred to HOUSES LIPPER!!!I recently purchased several breedings of HOUSES LIPPER semen.I WILL BE BREEDING SEVERAL FEMALES IN THE NEAR FUTURE. JUST BRED A HILLBILLY MAC FEMALE 10-13-06 TO LIPPER!!!

No, I have never bred to Lipper. I prefer Bozo blood crossed up to River Bend Flag and Red Eagle Dick. Lipper can be good, but like any other breeding, the gyp has to be decent as well. I guess Lipper was out of Judy, but was he by Clint?

Member of the NAADP

Track and Tree with Accuracy and Determination.

Posted by Lee Currens Jr. on 10-17-2006 02:33 AM:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pete & Michelle...

quote:
Originally posted by wkfii
No, I have never bred to Lipper. I prefer Bozo blood crossed up to River Bend Flag and Red Eagle Dick. Lipper can be good, but like any other breeding, the gyp has to be decent as well. I guess Lipper was out of Judy, but was he by Clint?

always thought it was clint x queen lou

Posted by wkfii on 10-17-2006 03:29 AM:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pete & Michelle...

quote:
Originally posted by blueticking: it
always thought it was clint x queen lou

MAYBE, I HAVE TO CHECK MY PEDS. THE MEMORARY IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. WITH HOUSE YOU NEVER KNOW ANYWAY.

Member of the NAADP

Track and Tree with Accuracy and Determination.